Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby brinicolec » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:40 pm

Noticed a lot of the threads on here are more focused on the positives of each perspective law school. Was wondering if any students felt the opposite (and why, of course). I just want to try to get both perspectives. If this is something people aren't comfortable posting publicly, feel free to PM me!

chingwoo

Bronze
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby chingwoo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:12 am

Read the WUSTL thread.

User avatar
BoobGoddess

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:00 am

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby BoobGoddess » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:24 am

I can't say that I dislike my school. I don't. I really love it. I go to a top 20 in the deep south.

That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time. Some of my international friends feel they are constantly having to prove themselves because the Prof. puts their English speaking skills constantly on trial. I've witnessed it firsthand and feel really bad for them. It's a shame, but there are bad apples anywhere you go.

acr

Silver
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby acr » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:31 am

chingwoo wrote:Read the WUSTL thread.

Chad_IRL

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby Chad_IRL » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:02 am

That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time.


I had no idea Boob Goddess was such a staunch feminist.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby poptart123 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:09 am

Chad_IRL wrote:
That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time.


I had no idea Boob Goddess was such a staunch feminist.


Did you just assume Boob Goddess' gender?

Chad_IRL

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby Chad_IRL » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:17 am

Did you just assume Boob Goddess' gender?


Yeah, a man named "Boob Goddess" is complaining of sexist comments at his law school in the south. Let's go with that. I'm sure that's correct.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby brinicolec » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:03 pm

chingwoo wrote:Read the WUSTL thread.


Any recommendation on where to start? 285 pages is way too much to read through :?

User avatar
Unfathomableruckus

Bronze
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby Unfathomableruckus » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:40 am

Chad_IRL wrote:
Did you just assume Boob Goddess' gender?


Yeah, a man named "Boob Goddess" is complaining of sexist comments at his law school in the south. Let's go with that. I'm sure that's correct.


FYFY not all feminists are women

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby poptart123 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:59 am

Chad_IRL wrote:
Did you just assume Boob Goddess' gender?


Yeah, a man named "Boob Goddess" is complaining of sexist comments at his law school in the south. Let's go with that. I'm sure that's correct.


I merely asked a question. The above is an assumption you formed all on your own..

patentlitigatrix

Silver
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby patentlitigatrix » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:44 pm

brinicolec wrote:Noticed a lot of the threads on here are more focused on the positives of each perspective law school. Was wondering if any students felt the opposite (and why, of course). I just want to try to get both perspectives. If this is something people aren't comfortable posting publicly, feel free to PM me!


I disliked law school in general. I think I would have disliked any school, but mine was tolerable because of a few good friends.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby brinicolec » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:53 pm

patentlitigatrix wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Noticed a lot of the threads on here are more focused on the positives of each perspective law school. Was wondering if any students felt the opposite (and why, of course). I just want to try to get both perspectives. If this is something people aren't comfortable posting publicly, feel free to PM me!


I disliked law school in general. I think I would have disliked any school, but mine was tolerable because of a few good friends.


why did you dislike it, if you don't mind me asking

patentlitigatrix

Silver
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby patentlitigatrix » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:16 pm

brinicolec wrote:
patentlitigatrix wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Noticed a lot of the threads on here are more focused on the positives of each perspective law school. Was wondering if any students felt the opposite (and why, of course). I just want to try to get both perspectives. If this is something people aren't comfortable posting publicly, feel free to PM me!


I disliked law school in general. I think I would have disliked any school, but mine was tolerable because of a few good friends.


why did you dislike it, if you don't mind me asking


I found the subject matter incredibly boring and many of my classmates fairly irritating to be around. Everyone was really stressed out all the time and that seemed entirely unnecessary, but would rub off on me to a certain extent.

That being said, I really enjoy practicing and my co-workers are great. Law school really is nothing like practice.

Chad_IRL

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby Chad_IRL » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:55 pm

I merely asked a question. The above is an assumption you formed all on your own..


FYFY not all feminists are women


What the hell is going on in this thread? I tried to make light of the apparent incongruity between the speaker's statement (there is a lot of sexism in southern law schools) and the speaker's username, "Boob Goddess." Boob Goddess as a username might suggest a certain self-absorbed, attention-seeking woman, and there is a stigma about such women that they are not good feminists or that they don't care about advancing the cause of feminism.

If you guys are trying to criticize the politics of this joke, it is your job to point out to me that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to advance feminism, that a woman celebrating her sexuality is just as authentic an expression of feminism as her guarding her sexuality, and that I'm probably slut shaming.

Instead, you guys are oddly focused on the fact that I have assumed that someone named Boob Goddess (note the female suffix), who is complaining about sexism in the South (not often noted for its progressive social attitudes towards women), is in fact a woman. Then there's the bizarre broadside that not all feminists are women, which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this person is actually a woman.

You guys suck at this.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby poptart123 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Chad_IRL wrote:
I merely asked a question. The above is an assumption you formed all on your own..


FYFY not all feminists are women


What the hell is going on in this thread? I tried to make light of the apparent incongruity between the speaker's statement (there is a lot of sexism in southern law schools) and the speaker's username, "Boob Goddess." Boob Goddess as a username might suggest a certain self-absorbed, attention-seeking woman, and there is a stigma about such women that they are not good feminists or that they don't care about advancing the cause of feminism.

If you guys are trying to criticize the politics of this joke, it is your job to point out to me that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to advance feminism, that a woman celebrating her sexuality is just as authentic an expression of feminism as her guarding her sexuality, and that I'm probably slut shaming.

Instead, you guys are oddly focused on the fact that I have assumed that someone named Boob Goddess (note the female suffix), who is complaining about sexism in the South (not often noted for its progressive social attitudes towards women), is in fact a woman. Then there's the bizarre broadside that not all feminists are women, which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this person is actually a woman.

You guys suck at this.


But you're still assuming Boob Goddess' gender.

Yeezus Wept

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:18 am

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby Yeezus Wept » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:52 pm

poptart123 wrote:
Chad_IRL wrote:
I merely asked a question. The above is an assumption you formed all on your own..


FYFY not all feminists are women


What the hell is going on in this thread? I tried to make light of the apparent incongruity between the speaker's statement (there is a lot of sexism in southern law schools) and the speaker's username, "Boob Goddess." Boob Goddess as a username might suggest a certain self-absorbed, attention-seeking woman, and there is a stigma about such women that they are not good feminists or that they don't care about advancing the cause of feminism.

If you guys are trying to criticize the politics of this joke, it is your job to point out to me that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to advance feminism, that a woman celebrating her sexuality is just as authentic an expression of feminism as her guarding her sexuality, and that I'm probably slut shaming.

Instead, you guys are oddly focused on the fact that I have assumed that someone named Boob Goddess (note the female suffix), who is complaining about sexism in the South (not often noted for its progressive social attitudes towards women), is in fact a woman. Then there's the bizarre broadside that not all feminists are women, which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this person is actually a woman.

You guys suck at this.


But you're still assuming Boob Goddess' gender.


Did you even read his post? Thank god I almost certainly don't go to law school with people on your intellectual level, or I might be able to answer the question this thread poses affirmatively.
Last edited by Yeezus Wept on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
poptart123

Silver
Posts: 1152
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby poptart123 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:54 pm

Yeezus Wept wrote:
poptart123 wrote:
Chad_IRL wrote:
I merely asked a question. The above is an assumption you formed all on your own..


FYFY not all feminists are women


What the hell is going on in this thread? I tried to make light of the apparent incongruity between the speaker's statement (there is a lot of sexism in southern law schools) and the speaker's username, "Boob Goddess." Boob Goddess as a username might suggest a certain self-absorbed, attention-seeking woman, and there is a stigma about such women that they are not good feminists or that they don't care about advancing the cause of feminism.

If you guys are trying to criticize the politics of this joke, it is your job to point out to me that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to advance feminism, that a woman celebrating her sexuality is just as authentic an expression of feminism as her guarding her sexuality, and that I'm probably slut shaming.

Instead, you guys are oddly focused on the fact that I have assumed that someone named Boob Goddess (note the female suffix), who is complaining about sexism in the South (not often noted for its progressive social attitudes towards women), is in fact a woman. Then there's the bizarre broadside that not all feminists are women, which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this person is actually a woman.

You guys suck at this.


But you're still assuming Boob Goddess' gender.


Did you even read his post? Thank god I almost certainly don't go to law school with people on your intellectual level, or I might be able to answer the question of this thread affirmatively.


I read the post.

Chad_IRL

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby Chad_IRL » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:58 pm

But you're still assuming Boob Goddess' gender.


What is the goal here Poptart? What are you trying to prove?

ticklemesilly

Bronze
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby ticklemesilly » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:00 pm

I've heard horror stories about Harvard, Georgetown, and UC Hastings. You can peruse the forums, but there are plenty of people who dislike law school. I'm not one of them, though.

Edit: just so it's not misconstrued, not saying everyone dislikes Harvard, Georgetown, and UC Hastings.
Last edited by ticklemesilly on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby KMart » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Nah - people make it worthwhile. Go somewhere where you connect with those around you and it will make your time there enjoyable.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1356
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:14 pm

I go to a school that is notoriously gunnerish/competitive (to the point where practicing attorneys from other schools will ask me how gunnerish the people in my year are). Overall, I thought it was fine. 1L sucked, and people did seem more competitive than at other schools where my friends went. However, it was pretty bearable because I found a good group of friends and stuck with them.
Last edited by dabigchina on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mukol

Bronze
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby mukol » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:22 pm

Chad_IRL wrote:
I merely asked a question. The above is an assumption you formed all on your own..


FYFY not all feminists are women


What the hell is going on in this thread? I tried to make light of the apparent incongruity between the speaker's statement (there is a lot of sexism in southern law schools) and the speaker's username, "Boob Goddess." Boob Goddess as a username might suggest a certain self-absorbed, attention-seeking woman, and there is a stigma about such women that they are not good feminists or that they don't care about advancing the cause of feminism.

If you guys are trying to criticize the politics of this joke, it is your job to point out to me that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to advance feminism, that a woman celebrating her sexuality is just as authentic an expression of feminism as her guarding her sexuality, and that I'm probably slut shaming.

Instead, you guys are oddly focused on the fact that I have assumed that someone named Boob Goddess (note the female suffix), who is complaining about sexism in the South (not often noted for its progressive social attitudes towards women), is in fact a woman. Then there's the bizarre broadside that not all feminists are women, which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not this person is actually a woman.

You guys suck at this.


Your gender binary is so microaggressive, bruh. Just because BG happens to go by goddess doesn't mean that this is by choice, it might be a result of a failure of the English language to be accommodating.

@OP: Read the WashU thread and look at Dan Pi's review of Minnesota. You could look into BL saga too if you wanted more reading.

User avatar
Louis1127

Silver
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby Louis1127 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:19 pm

BoobGoddess wrote:I can't say that I dislike my school. I don't. I really love it. I go to a top 20 in the deep south.

That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time. Some of my international friends feel they are constantly having to prove themselves because the Prof. puts their English speaking skills constantly on trial. I've witnessed it firsthand and feel really bad for them. It's a shame, but there are bad apples anywhere you go.


Is Texas or TN the deep south? Otherwise, what school are you referring to?

ticklemesilly

Bronze
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby ticklemesilly » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Louis1127 wrote:
BoobGoddess wrote:I can't say that I dislike my school. I don't. I really love it. I go to a top 20 in the deep south.

That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time. Some of my international friends feel they are constantly having to prove themselves because the Prof. puts their English speaking skills constantly on trial. I've witnessed it firsthand and feel really bad for them. It's a shame, but there are bad apples anywhere you go.


Is Texas or TN the deep south? Otherwise, what school are you referring to?


Maybe UNC or Vanderbilt?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Weird question: But does anyone DISLIKE their law school

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:06 am

ticklemesilly wrote:
Louis1127 wrote:
BoobGoddess wrote:I can't say that I dislike my school. I don't. I really love it. I go to a top 20 in the deep south.

That said, some of the professors are less than kind. I've had to deal with condescending and sexist comments from time to time. Some of my international friends feel they are constantly having to prove themselves because the Prof. puts their English speaking skills constantly on trial. I've witnessed it firsthand and feel really bad for them. It's a shame, but there are bad apples anywhere you go.


Is Texas or TN the deep south? Otherwise, what school are you referring to?


Maybe UNC or Vanderbilt?


UNC isn't top 20, and Vanderbilt isn't in the "deep South" unless you've never been anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line before.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.



Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests