will my prior law schools hold me back

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
john1990

Silver

will my prior law schools hold me back

Postby john1990 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:15 pm

I have attended 3 prior law schools before my current attendance. Further, i have been convicted of 4 misdemenors and 10 violations. Will these be a factor in my transfer applications
Last edited by john1990 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: will my prior law experience hold me back

Postby grades?? » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 pm

lulz.

SFSpartan

Silver

Re: will my prior law schools hold me back

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:25 pm

Glad we're back to this again. Not like you've ever asked this question of TLS and had it answered before. As you already know, the answer is yes. Maybe it's time to stop chasing this particular dream.

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:30 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Glad we're back to this again. Not like you've ever asked this question of TLS and had it answered before. As you already know, the answer is yes. Maybe it's time to stop chasing this particular dream.

This question relates to transferring and not regular admissions

barkschool

Silver

Postby barkschool » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:50 pm

posting to see where this goes again :roll:

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Postby Barack O'Drama » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:01 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Glad we're back to this again. Not like you've ever asked this question of TLS and had it answered before. As you already know, the answer is yes. Maybe it's time to stop chasing this particular dream.

For jesus christ's sake man. 4 convictions and 10 violations? I think that might cause a C&F issue. Perhaps you should see about that first.

So we will have 4 law schools, 4 misdemeanors/convictions, 10 violations..... Anything else.

I'm not saying give up on your dreams, but make sure you can even pass the C&F portion of the bar. I guess it depends on the charges, but even so, I am sure it will be a pain. Also, that record is indicative of a larger problem. Perhaps poor judgment.

Have you considered sitting out and letting some time pass? Reassess in the future; not like law school is going anywhere.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 pm

I don't think there have been enough people in your position for anyone to give any really informed answer. The difference between regular admissions and transfer admissions is that law school admissions are about potential, and transfer admissions are about actual performance. If you make it through a whole year of law school with excellent grades, it will help assuage concerns about whether you're ready for law school - you will have shown you can succeed. So it may not be quite as difficult to find a school that will take you as a transfer as it is getting in originally. But you will probably have to have a really good explanation for your past.

And you will have to actually make it through a year with excellent grades. And the schools you're looking at now will offer very poor transfer opportunities, even for the top of their class.

(The misdemeanors/violations are a separate issue and will have the same effect on a transfer app as the original app - some schools may ding you out of concern you won't be able to pass the bar. I would imagine you'd have to address that in transfer apps the same way you would in original apps - they're not going to be less of a factor for transferring than for getting in to begin with.)

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:33 pm

john1990 wrote:I have attended 3 prior law schools before my current attendance. Further, i have been convicted of 4 misdemenors and 10 violations. Will these be a factor in my transfer applications

Was your last school UT?

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:52 pm

If anything it would be a bigger factor transferring, because at that point your only impact on rankings is employment and your criminal record will pop up on background checks, which you could overcome but decreases your odds. Bar passage rate matters, but your criminal record doesn't impact that - if you can't sit for the bar you don't count for the statistic, and if you pass whether you're admitted also doesn't count.

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:

For jesus christ's sake man. 4 convictions and 10 violations? I think that might cause a C&F issue. Perhaps you should see about that first.

So we will have 4 law schools, 4 misdemeanors/convictions, 10 violations..... Anything else.

I'm not saying give up on your dreams, but make sure you can even pass the C&F portion of the bar. I guess it depends on the charges, but even so, I am sure it will be a pain. Also, that record is indicative of a larger problem. Perhaps poor judgment.

Have you considered sitting out and letting some time pass? Reassess in the future; not like law school is going anywhere.

2 of the misdemeanors and all 10 violations occurred when i was 17 and had dropped out of highschool

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:23 pm

BasilHallward wrote:
john1990 wrote:I have attended 3 prior law schools before my current attendance. Further, i have been convicted of 4 misdemenors and 10 violations. Will these be a factor in my transfer applications

Was your last school UT?

No, do you know someone with a similar past?

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:12 pm

john1990 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

2 of the misdemeanors and all 10 violations occurred when i was 17 and had dropped out of highschool

are you not counting of the time you lied on your LS application as a "violation" ?

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:20 pm

Does it matter what people tell you? You ignore the advice anyways. :lol:

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:06 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

are you not counting of the time you lied on your LS application as a "violation" ?

I didn't lie i forgot to list a law school. This is just for criminal charges

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:08 pm

lawman84 wrote:Does it matter what people tell you? You ignore the advice anyways. :lol:

lol i have a plan to attend jmsl and transfer. I have already taken midterms and i know what type of grades i can earn in law school

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:40 pm

john1990 wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:
john1990 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:

I didn't lie i forgot to list a law school. This is just for criminal charges

Do you think someone who forgets what law school they attended law schools they have attended could should be an attorney?

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:01 pm

It was just one simple mistake. The law school didn't show up on my cas report

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Why do we continue to feed this troll? Everyone ignore and move on.

john1990

Silver

Postby john1990 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:07 pm

grades?? wrote:Why do we continue to feed this troll? Everyone ignore and move on.

This thread is wandering lol

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:21 am

john1990 wrote:It was just one simple mistake. The law school didn't show up on my cas report

doesn't matter if it was a simple mistake - matters if it was an honest mistake.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:50 am

I think the original question has been answered as well as it's ever going to be answered.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?