Immigration law for a white guy Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cm_burns

New

Re: Immigration law for a white guy

Post by cm_burns » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:36 pm

Culturally there could be a disconnect. Immigrants from differing socio-economic, anthro-political, and socio-cultural backgrounds may be less comfortable and communicate worse with what they might perceive in their physical space as part of hegemonic forces which press upon them.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Redfactor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:White guy isn't a problem. I think not speaking Spanish is a huge problem because getting a translator each time is expensive.

Why bother? Immigration is pure shitlaw.
Wow, rarely does someone so bluntly trash an area of law that actually helps people carry out beneficial tasks.

You know that M&A is soooo noble while helping some modest person live with loved ones... pure shitlaw.

You sound like a delightful person : \
He means that it's a bad deal for the associate, not that helping immigrants is shit. It's low pay, isn't well respected in terms of landing your next job and attracts crooked lawyers because it's easy to take advantage of the clients. Obviously, immigration is nobler than M&A, and there are plenty of reputable immigration lawyers, but there are risks unique to immigration law.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:21 pm

I've done some pro bono defensive deportation work. Most of the other "attorneys" in the court were people too slow to ambulance chase. Clients don't pay or pay too little.

Why pick this field of law?
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:56 am

Desert Fox wrote:I've done some pro bono defensive deportation work. Most of the other "attorneys" in the court were people too slow to ambulance chase. Clients don't pay or pay too little.

Why pick this field of law?
What else should I do? I thought immigration was kind of but given the fact that no habla espanol and people's comments, I'm starting to think otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”