How many "mass" mails for a 1L paid summer internship?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SaulGoodmansEvilTwin

New

How many "mass" mails for a 1L paid summer internship?

Postby SaulGoodmansEvilTwin » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:21 pm

On average, how many mails does/should one send out when looking for a paid summer position after your 1L year? Ballpark figure: 50/100/500/1000/5000/become a Nigerian spammer?

I realize the obvious answer is "as many as it takes to get a position", but I'm trying to get an idea of how many cover letters is a reasonable minimum for having a decent chance of landing a position based on the following assumptions:

1-You go to a T50 school
2-You are top 20% of your class.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: How many "mass" mails for a 1L paid summer internship?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Why are you assuming you're going to be top 20%?

Also, 0Ls aren't supposed to ask questions in legal employment, so I've moved this to the right forum.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:30 pm

You should focus on getting good grades for now.

I do not know the answer to how many massmails a 1L in the top 20 % from a random T50 school should expect to send before finding a paid summer internship, but whatever the answer is should not change what should the approach of "apply until you get something" if a paid internship is particularly important for personal reasons.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 pm

infinity.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:07 pm

A run of the mill top 20%er at a T50 probably won't get a paid 1L summer job even if they send out infinity apps

Pneumonia

Gold

Postby Pneumonia » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:10 am

BigZuck wrote:A run of the mill top 20%er at a T50 probably won't get a paid 1L summer job even if they send out infinity apps

rnoodles

Platinum

Postby rnoodles » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:44 am

pancakes3 wrote:infinity.

anonQs2019

New

Postby anonQs2019 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I was thinking of this topic recently.

Basically I'm coming to terms with the fact that I will not have an income for 1.5 years* since finding a paid internship after the first 1L is a unicorn outcome. During the school year I'll be living off of loans, but what do most 1Ls do during summer for additional income? And how do you balance that with the fact that its important to secure an internship that summer?

* Fingers crossed for SA position after 2L

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Postby UnicornHunter » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:50 pm

anonQs2019 wrote:Don't mean to hijack this thread but I was thinking of this topic recently.

Basically I'm coming to terms with the fact that I will not have an income for 1.5 years* since finding a paid internship after the first 1L is a unicorn outcome. During the school year I'll be living off of loans, but what do most 1Ls do during summer for additional income? And how do you balance that with the fact that its important to secure an internship that summer?

Some schools will provide you with funding but otherwise you should be taking out enough loans to last for a full year. You should calculate your monthly budget by dividing whatever you get in loans by 12.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:A run of the mill top 20%er at a T50 probably won't get a paid 1L summer job even if they send out infinity apps

This is probably right for like big law 1L SAs but I don't think paying summer jobs are really that hard to get if you are open to a wide variety of legal employers. I wouldn't build it into my budget before law school because the amount you make could vary a lot though.

pancakes3

Platinum

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:15 pm

something something monkeys, typewriters, shakespeare

anonQs2019

New

Postby anonQs2019 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:43 pm

UnicornHunter wrote:
anonQs2019 wrote:Don't mean to hijack this thread but I was thinking of this topic recently.

Some schools will provide you with funding but otherwise you should be taking out enough loans to last for a full year. You should calculate your monthly budget by dividing whatever you get in loans by 12.

Funding in terms of a summer position? Something like a research assistant?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:44 pm

anonQs2019 wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

A number of schools provide a stipend (usually $5k or so) for PI-oriented summer work.

anonQs2019

New

Postby anonQs2019 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:56 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
anonQs2019 wrote:
UnicornHunter wrote:

A number of schools provide a stipend (usually $5k or so) for PI-oriented summer work.

Oh okay thanks. Well at least there are options.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?