Law Firm Visit Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MAPP

Bronze

Law Firm Visit

Post by MAPP » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:21 pm

I'm visiting the law firm Dorsey & Whitney (my pre-law professor had connections there), and I'm wondering what I should do to maximize the benefit I get from this opportunity? I get to meet with four different attorneys: one is a partner, the others are associates that are recent graduates - some do litigation, some do transaction and acquisition work.

Should I just connect with them on LinkedIn afterwards and send them a letter thanking them for their time and expressing how much I enjoyed visiting? It definitely is a firm I would like to work for after law school, so I want to make sure I make solid connections.

MAPP

Bronze

Re: Law Firm Visit

Post by MAPP » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:30 pm

Bump

Someone's gotta have some helpful input on this...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Yes, thank you notes are considered good etiquette here. In terms of networking, if they offered to be available for future questions, then ask them questions.

But the most helpful input I can think of is to stop focusing on networking when you aren't even in law school yet. It's not a bad thing to think about, but your focus should be on the LSAT and applications.

Pepper91

New

Post by Pepper91 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:38 pm

But the most helpful input I can think of is to stop focusing on networking when you aren't even in law school yet. It's not a bad thing to think about, but your focus should be on the LSAT and applications.
This. Law firms appreciate enthusiasm, but they also hire normal people. Don't go crazy gunning as a 0L. Just focus on learning and maybe picking up a contact or two to keep in touch with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”