Law Students, how do you pay for basic necessities in Law School?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lillawyer2

Silver

Law Students, how do you pay for basic necessities in Law School?

Postby lillawyer2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:57 am

I understand most people don't work during 1L.

So, if you come from an average middle class household.

Scholarships and loans are handling school expenses, what is taking care of your basic necessities: food, toiletries, supplies, entertainment..etc?

Does it come from your parent's, do you use your savings?

How much roughly do you spend on yourself during a semester?

raven1231

Bronze

Re: Law Students, how do you pay for basic necessities in Law School?

Postby raven1231 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:02 am

usually those same scholarship and loans. This is incorporated into COA.

lillawyer2

Silver

Postby lillawyer2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:24 am

raven1231 wrote:usually those same scholarship and loans. This is incorporated into COA.

Oh, I see. So your loans don't just cover tuition and board (if you need it), it covers insurance, food, books and other miscellaneous expenses. This is why schools give the total school budget and the total academic budget...

raven1231

Bronze

Postby raven1231 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:03 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:
raven1231 wrote:usually those same scholarship and loans. This is incorporated into COA.

Oh, I see. So your loans don't just cover tuition and board (if you need it), it covers insurance, food, books and other miscellaneous expenses. This is why schools give the total school budget and the total academic budget...

Correct !

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Still paying for them :lol:

caseysho

New

Postby caseysho » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:38 pm

lillawyer2 wrote:

Keep in mind that different loan amounts have different interest rates. Anything above the Stafford Loan's $21.5k is going to have a steeper interests rate. If you're okay with that, then go ahead and estimate as high as you think you need. You can always adjust at semester and going forward into 2L and 3L. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting some extra cash this summer and looking into some way to get funding for your 1L summer (paid internships after 1L are pretty difficult to come by). Do not try to work your 1L year! It didn't work well for any of my classmates.

browniestasty

Bronze

Postby browniestasty » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:32 am

I worked 1L year precisely because I didn't want to live on the rather modest CoA estimates.

In hindsight, I think I should have at least cut back on the hours and relied a bit on credit cards and made the money back over the summer.

Return to ā€œAsk a Law Student / Graduateā€?