False Claims Act Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gifted Hands

Bronze

False Claims Act

Post by Gifted Hands » Sun May 29, 2016 7:14 pm

I've heard that the false claims act is one of the most unknown lucrative areas of law. Apparently, the act incentives whistleblowers on contractors that fraud the gov't. And that person gets 10% and you get a contingency fee. Any one hear of this? He said this could be be done by a solo practitioner.

For example, you work for Lockheed martin and notice that your co. is overcharging or doing some shady shit that's milking the gov't, you can now have standing as an individual basically

november3

New

Re: False Claims Act

Post by november3 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:58 am

Yeah, I almost clerked for a solo practitioner this summer in my small town who exclusively does false claims act. He calls himself a "false claims act nerd," apparently it's really interesting stuff! They are qui tam cases brought by citizens on behalf of the gov't and I think the gov't decides whether they want to intervene or let the citizen & their attorney do it

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon May 30, 2016 8:11 am

Gifted Hands wrote:I've heard that the false claims act is one of the most unknown lucrative areas of law. Apparently, the act incentives whistleblowers on contractors that fraud the gov't. And that person gets 10% and you get a contingency fee. Any one hear of this? He said this could be be done by a solo practitioner.

For example, you work for Lockheed martin and notice that your co. is overcharging or doing some shady shit that's milking the gov't, you can now have standing as an individual basically
I think you need to read up on the false claims act and do some more research before diving in head first.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon May 30, 2016 8:46 am

So where are you going to find whistleblowers

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:52 am

kellyfrost wrote:
Gifted Hands wrote:I've heard that the false claims act is one of the most unknown lucrative areas of law. Apparently, the act incentives whistleblowers on contractors that fraud the gov't. And that person gets 10% and you get a contingency fee. Any one hear of this? He said this could be be done by a solo practitioner.

I think you need to read up on the false claims act and do some more research before diving in head first.
Also, "fraud" is a noun, not a verb.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Mon May 30, 2016 10:43 am

Under Sarbanes Oxley the whistleblower has a duty to report misconduct to his superiors. He is only supposed to go outside of the organization when his superiors know and don't act. So that would prob. lead to fewer cases as the problems would be fixed internally.

Gifted Hands

Bronze

Post by Gifted Hands » Mon May 30, 2016 1:12 pm

DELG wrote:So where are you going to find whistleblowers
easy: advertisements

Do YOU know of of corruption going on at your workplace, call the "strong arm"

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon May 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Gifted Hands wrote:

lol can you imagine doing intake for this

Gifted Hands

Bronze

Post by Gifted Hands » Mon May 30, 2016 1:24 pm

DELG wrote:
Gifted Hands wrote:

correction: Do you know of corruption and can present evidence, call the strong arm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon May 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Gifted Hands wrote:
DELG wrote:
Gifted Hands wrote:

correction: Do you know of corruption and can present evidence, call the strong arm.
*And sell to the government in some capacity

*And already reported it internally but they didn't do anything

*And you actually know they didn't do anything vs you just being confused

Not exactly a snappy billboard, and also most people are raging idiots who still won't get it and will call you about their boss at McDonald's stealing chicken nuggets.

Gifted Hands

Bronze

Post by Gifted Hands » Mon May 30, 2016 1:35 pm

DELG wrote:
Gifted Hands wrote:
DELG wrote:
Gifted Hands wrote:

*And sell to the government in some capacity

*And already reported it internally but they didn't do anything

*And you actually know they didn't do anything vs you just being confused

Not exactly a snappy billboard, and also most people are raging idiots who still won't get it and will call you about their boss at McDonald's stealing chicken nuggets.
okay so maybe you would have to require clients the old fashioned way- via networking. What do you think would be an appropriate first real job that could set me up for false claims work. Bcthe clients are gonna want someone with experience.

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Mon May 30, 2016 1:37 pm

I think no matter what your first job is there's a .000001% chance you ever make a penny off a FCA claim.

Gifted Hands

Bronze

Post by Gifted Hands » Mon May 30, 2016 1:49 pm

DELG wrote:I think no matter what your first job is there's a .000001% chance you ever make a penny off a FCA claim.
so pretty much, personal injury in a liberal state is still the most lucrative practice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 30, 2016 1:50 pm

Holy hell, people. Stop feeding the troll.

Gifted Hands

Bronze

Post by Gifted Hands » Mon May 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Liberal states don't have heavy tort reform like conservative states... not trolling dude. also this is an odd topic to troll about.

utlaw2007

Silver

Post by utlaw2007 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:19 pm

If the area of practice is unknown, it's not lucrative by definition. Good luck getting clients...

As to most lucrative practice area of states, the answer to that question certainly won't benefit you. It depends on a ton of factors, there are lucrative cases and cheap as hell cases in most areas of contingency fee practice.

So yeah...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”