Keyboards and what to look for in laptops Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
87mm

Bronze

Keyboards and what to look for in laptops

Post by 87mm » Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am

I am in the process of purchasing a laptop in the semi near future. I hear that a good keyboard is important for testing. I have my own desktop PC that I built but need something for school/campus.

Would it be weird if I brought a separate keyboard to tests? If anyone has used a mechanical keyboard, would that be a bit too much for the other students to handle?

What are qualities in a laptop that best fit with law school? My background during undergrad required more heavy computing power, so I never went budget on a laptop before. I would assume a good keyboard and screen are what matter (along with battery life).

Thank you!

Actus Reus

Bronze

Re: Keyboards and what to look for in laptops

Post by Actus Reus » Wed May 18, 2016 11:41 am

I probably would cut your computer charger if you decided to bring a mechanical keyboard into an exam

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Wed May 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Actus Reus wrote:I probably would cut your computer charger if you decided to bring a mechanical keyboard into an exam
It lights up neon green though... feels like sex for your fingers when you type.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed May 18, 2016 1:27 pm

Actus Reus wrote:I probably would cut your computer charger if you decided to bring a mechanical keyboard into an exam
Somebody did this my 1L year. It was one of many reasons he was universally loathed.

I'm typing on a mechanical keyboard right now. Under no circumstances is it appropriate to bring one to an exam.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

87mm

Bronze

Post by 87mm » Wed May 18, 2016 1:33 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Somebody did this my 1L year. It was one of many reasons he was universally loathed.

I'm typing on a mechanical keyboard right now. Under no circumstances is it appropriate to bring one to an exam.
Haha. He better have rocked the exam given the stress he placed on his competition :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Mon May 23, 2016 12:54 pm

I try and always bring a mechanical keyboard into exams. Some keyboards are louder than others. Try and avoid sitting right next to someone (which most exam proctors won't let you do anyway) and you should be fine. Even if it does irritate people a little, 1) I type noticeably faster and with fewer typos on a mechanical keyboard, and 2) my school hands out ear plugs for people who are bothered by it.

You can probably go budget on a laptop. The laptop I picked up for 1L was about $450, and it's served me pretty well. I basically do all my work on my desktop computer, and then use my laptop to take notes or when I'm in the library. The only things you have to be able to run are Word, your exam software, and the internet so you can browse Facebook in class.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 23, 2016 1:11 pm

Has anyone had any issues with Windows 10 (mainly the feature where it's basically always updating) and their exam software?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon May 23, 2016 2:23 pm

twenty seems like a good person but all people who bring mechanical keyboards to exams are bad people IMO

Don't be a bad person, OP

Just your run of the mill laptop that works will be sufficient for law school

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Tue May 24, 2016 12:14 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:

during 1L my Lenovo had pretty loud keys (or at least far louder than my replacement MacBook, which around 85% of people had) and one of my good friends sat near me before a final and then before it was too late shouted, "wait, FUCK NO, jd's keyboard is too damn loud" and got up and moved

most people seemed to wear ear plugs, and proctors even had extras, but a mechanical keyboard seems a bit far

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 am

Re: Mechanical

Install O-Rings for the exam or maybe use clear switches. Don't go in there with loud as hell blue switches though without O Rings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”