IP at GW Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
flyinghigh

New

IP at GW

Post by flyinghigh » Wed May 18, 2016 1:15 am

GW is ranked pretty low but apparently it is a good place to go for IP?? I am a MechE and thinking about GW next year after I get my master. Obviously I have other schools on my radar, but want to know is GW legit in this field? I think I can get a pretty good scholarship at GW and save a lot of money, but just want to know about job prospects from different peoples' experiences... what's the word here at TLS??

flyinghigh

New

Re: IP at GW

Post by flyinghigh » Sun May 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Bump... no takers??

Goldchain

New

Post by Goldchain » Sun May 22, 2016 3:53 pm

What's your gpa and LSAT score?

flyinghigh

New

Post by flyinghigh » Sun May 22, 2016 4:00 pm

Goldchain wrote:What's your gpa and LSAT score?
170 3.2

I think I can get into higher ranked schools but think that I could get good $$ at GW

Goldchain

New

Post by Goldchain » Sun May 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Being IP secure with a potential full scholarship may not be a bad choice at all. You're not a lock for the early decision full tuition scholarship due to your gpa but if you get the scholarship it may be worth it. Only attend GW with a full or near full scholarship and blanket the top-14 law schools to see what your other potential offers are.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I also believe some of not all of GWs scholarships come with gpa stipulations. Under no circumstance should you accept a scholarship with a gpa stipulation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flyinghigh

New

Post by flyinghigh » Sun May 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Goldchain wrote:Being IP secure with a potential full scholarship may not be a bad choice at all. You're not a lock for the early decision full tuition scholarship due to your gpa but if you get the scholarship it may be worth it. Only attend GW with a full or near full scholarship and blanket the top-14 law schools to see what your other potential offers are.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but I also believe some of not all of GWs scholarships come with gpa stipulations. Under no circumstance should you accept a scholarship with a gpa stipulation.
Thanks. I really like GW because its very well known/connected in IP and DC, and Im from Northern VA so I wanna be in DC for work after law school. I will be applying to most t14's, but just wanted to know if all the hype about GW IP really is true

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Sun May 22, 2016 8:56 pm

My take-away from GWU was that patent-bar eligible students were secure for employment at the median, although they may not have much choice in where they work. I applied a few years ago, though, so my take might be out-dated (for better or worse). And this is probably the worst-kept secret in DC, but John Whelan is well connected and willing to pull strings for students. Worst case, kiss his ass (hard) and you'll probably land a job, even if it's in patent prosecution.

flyinghigh

New

Post by flyinghigh » Thu May 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Bump

orangered

New

Post by orangered » Thu May 26, 2016 10:10 pm

If you know you want to do patent prosecution, GW is a well-known school nationally. Go there if you get close to a full scholly. But know that your options for other types of legal work (e.g., patent lit, other types of lit, transactional work, etc.) will probably be limited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flyinghigh

New

Post by flyinghigh » Fri May 27, 2016 12:27 am

orangered wrote:If you know you want to do patent prosecution, GW is a well-known school nationally. Go there if you get close to a full scholly. But know that your options for other types of legal work (e.g., patent lit, other types of lit, transactional work, etc.) will probably be limited.
What do you exactly mean by limited? Would it be hard to get into patent litigation from GW? I haven't made up my mind what sort of IP related work I will want to do... how exactly will going to GW limit my other options?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri May 27, 2016 8:04 am

flyinghigh wrote:
orangered wrote:If you know you want to do patent prosecution, GW is a well-known school nationally. Go there if you get close to a full scholly. But know that your options for other types of legal work (e.g., patent lit, other types of lit, transactional work, etc.) will probably be limited.
What do you exactly mean by limited? Would it be hard to get into patent litigation from GW? I haven't made up my mind what sort of IP related work I will want to do... how exactly will going to GW limit my other options?
I don't know anything about GW, but I assume in the same way that any other school might limit your options: people won't hire you (or will be reluctant to do so) if you go there.

It really is that simple.

(To be clear, I'm just defining what it means to have options "limited" by a school. I don't know anything about GW.)

flyinghigh

New

Post by flyinghigh » Fri May 27, 2016 11:26 am

tomwatts wrote:
flyinghigh wrote:
I don't know anything about GW, but I assume in the same way that any other school might limit your options: people won't hire you (or will be reluctant to do so) if you go there.

It really is that simple.

(To be clear, I'm just defining what it means to have options "limited" by a school. I don't know anything about GW.)
Hahaha thanks. I was wondering how it would limit my options coming out of GW itself. I've been doing some research myself looking at associate and partner profiles at different firms (especially in DC), and though GW law alum are scarce in most areas of law in DC firms, in IP there seems to be just as many GW alum as any other top ranked school (in some cases even more than other schools). I just wanted to know what people's experiences on TLS have been with GW IP... mobility of degree geographically, ability to break into big firms, success at OCI, etc.

For what it's worth I just got my masters in ME and already have my USPTO reg #...

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:09 pm

flyinghigh wrote:GW is ranked pretty low but apparently it is a good place to go for IP?? I am a MechE and thinking about GW next year after I get my master. Obviously I have other schools on my radar, but want to know is GW legit in this field? I think I can get a pretty good scholarship at GW and save a lot of money, but just want to know about job prospects from different peoples' experiences... what's the word here at TLS??
All employers care about in IP from my experience is 1. Grades 2. School rank 3. Patent bar eligible and 4. Can you do the specialized work that is dealing with patents, not necessarily in that order. I went to a mediocre school and got job offers from good firms because I was MSCS, top 10% of my law class and had experience in IP.

Bottom line, I've never heard of anyone in employment discussing "man that's a real good/bad school for IP." It's mostly the same BS as other law job hiring, except you have less competition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”