1L expenses? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bourbonandlawbooks

New

1L expenses?

Post by bourbonandlawbooks » Tue May 10, 2016 11:48 am

Hello! I have been lurking on this forum for a while, but this is my first time posting. I am working on preparing a list of expenses for my 1L year beyond the obvious things like tuition, textbooks, rent, food, etc. What are some "surprise" expenses you didn't even consider until you arrived at law school? Thanks!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: 1L expenses?

Post by kellyfrost » Tue May 10, 2016 11:52 am

Depending on what your current wardrobe consists of, you will likely need to purchase some business suits at some point, shirts, ties, shoes, ect.

You will need to budget a decent amount of alcohol and nights out into your finances.

Car insurance, renters insurance, also not sure what you are planning on doing health insurance wise, if anything.

You should also plan to spend a small amount of money on clothing, bumper/window stickers with your school's name on it.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bourbonandlawbooks

New

Post by bourbonandlawbooks » Tue May 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks, kellyfrost! I am a female, and I definitely plan to add to my business attire before school begins. I have heard that as a female in the legal profession, it is best to stick with pantsuits instead of skirt suits. Would other females out there agree? And as you can tell by my username, factoring alcohol into my budget will definitely be a priority! Thanks again! :D

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Tue May 10, 2016 12:03 pm

No problem. I can't really give advice as I am not female, but pant suits do seem to be most popular although it isn't unheard of to see skirt suits.

Glad to hear your are factoring in alcohol into the equation. It will make life more enjoyable.

Probably not a bad idea to factor in contraceptives as well.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Tue May 10, 2016 12:04 pm

I always end up buying a hornbook or two in a panic when I'm outlining at the end of the semester, so you may want to factor that into your book budget.

Also your school may have membership fees for some clubs to support club activities. Some of the clubs at my school do, usually the ones focused more on outside interests than the law, and the fees are usually between $25-40/year

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue May 10, 2016 12:07 pm

bourbonandlawbooks wrote:Thanks, kellyfrost! I am a female, and I definitely plan to add to my business attire before school begins. I have heard that as a female in the legal profession, it is best to stick with pantsuits instead of skirt suits. Would other females out there agree? And as you can tell by my username, factoring alcohol into my budget will definitely be a priority! Thanks again! :D
While you're likely fine with either, the opposite re skirt/pants suits is true. Skirt suits are considered more conservative and safer.

bourbonandlawbooks

New

Post by bourbonandlawbooks » Tue May 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Mullens wrote:
bourbonandlawbooks wrote:Thanks, kellyfrost! I am a female, and I definitely plan to add to my business attire before school begins. I have heard that as a female in the legal profession, it is best to stick with pantsuits instead of skirt suits. Would other females out there agree? And as you can tell by my username, factoring alcohol into my budget will definitely be a priority! Thanks again! :D
While you're likely fine with either, the opposite re skirt/pants suits is true. Skirt suits are considered more conservative and safer.
Wow, really? I suppose it is more traditional!

zyxwvut2

New

Post by zyxwvut2 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:05 pm

bourbonandlawbooks wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Wow, really? I suppose it is more traditional!
+1 on skirt suits being more conservative

Skirts also let you get away with a less than perfect fit. If you don't want to pay for tailoring and/or are worried about your weight fluctuating a bit, skirt suits are a safer bet. :)

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 pm

As far as the pants v. skirts question, I think it might depend geographically on where you are. In Texas, for instance, 90% of my female classmates wore skirt suits at OCI. I feel like that may be different in NYC or somewhere, but I'm not sure. But to be fair, my classmates who wore pants didn't have any problems getting a job or anything. So I don't think it matters all that much. I would agree though that it's a lot easier to get away with buying a skirt suit off the rack and not having to get it tailored than it is a pants suit, so if you're looking to save money, skirt suits are the best option.

Since you are a woman, make sure you factor in the cost of haircut/manicure/brow wax a couple times a year for big stuff: before firm holiday receptions, before an interview, before OCI, etc. Seems like a small expense but when you're living on a student budget, that extra $120 you spend on grooming one month feels like a pinch.

Also think about the cost of printing, study aids/supplements, parking at school if you're going to be driving to campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Your school may require you to pay a one-time fee to download exam software onto your computer for taking exams. I think ours was like $50 or something. I didn't see it coming and was definitely annoyed when I had to pay.

unsweetened

Silver

Post by unsweetened » Tue May 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Office supplies. I can't remember the last time I killed so many pens and highlighters. I have also spent a significant amount of money on paper and printer ink, as well as at a printer shop.

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Tue May 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Barristers' Ball dress

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:49 pm

legit wrote:Barristers' Ball dress

^^^This.

Although I highly recommend Rent the Runway if you're the kind of person who always prefers a new dress instead of wearing something old. (I am, and so RTR has been a life saver.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bourbonandlawbooks

New

Post by bourbonandlawbooks » Tue May 10, 2016 3:44 pm

emkay625 wrote:Since you are a woman, make sure you factor in the cost of haircut/manicure/brow wax a couple times a year for big stuff: before firm holiday receptions, before an interview, before OCI, etc. Seems like a small expense but when you're living on a student budget, that extra $120 you spend on grooming one month feels like a pinch.
A thousand times yes to this! Being a law student is no excuse for bad brows or nails. Will definitely have personal grooming in the budget.

bourbonandlawbooks

New

Post by bourbonandlawbooks » Tue May 10, 2016 3:46 pm

legit wrote:Barristers' Ball dress
TRUE. Can't forget about that! :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”