Getting 2nd degree to qualify for patent bar: worth it? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
EllenParsons

New

Getting 2nd degree to qualify for patent bar: worth it?

Post by EllenParsons » Mon May 02, 2016 11:35 am

Background: I'm an associate at a mid-size law firm in the Gulf region. I went to law school with my sights set on IP work. Right now, I do some work for the IP litigation group at my firm, but can't do a whole lot, since the majority of it requires patent bar passage. The same seems to apply for lateral hires at other firms - patent bar eligibility is almost always required. I have a non-technical degree, but have freelanced in coding/programming for years. Is it worth getting a computer science degree from a state school (estimated cost of $14,000 after transferring credits from undergrad) while working so I can sit for the patent bar? The potential huge boost in salary/hireability seems to justify it, but I'm sure I'm being idealistic and could use feedback.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Getting 2nd degree to qualify for patent bar: worth it?

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon May 02, 2016 7:11 pm

No.

Nothing in IP lit requires patent bar passage. Produce good work product and you will get more assignments.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Wed May 04, 2016 4:46 pm

I would not.

I'm assuming your group does some sort of PGR since that is the only area of litigation where you need patent bar passage. If you really want to do IP litigation, then you're better of finding a firm that does less PGR and more district court litigation.

Also, just apply for those others jobs where patent bar eligibility is "required." More and more of the PGR work is being gobbled up by patent boutiques. I highly doubt those jobs actually require patent bar passage.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Wed May 04, 2016 8:48 pm

i'm going to take the opposite route and say that, if your firm does primarily pat bar required lit and if you feel like you aren't getting work because you don't have a reg no, then yeah it probably is worth it to get a reg no. however, it wouldn't necessarily go all out and pick up a second degree. i would see if it is cheaper to just pick up enough credits to satisfy cat b or c (or whatever it is) requirements so that you can sit for the exam.

also, i would ask the partners if not having a reg no is holding you back to see if your concerns are accurate

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:also, i would ask the partners if not having a reg no is holding you back to see if your concerns are accurate
Definitely this. Outside of PTAB work, patent litigation doesn't require being a member of the patent bar.

orangered

New

Post by orangered » Thu May 05, 2016 10:46 am

rpupkin wrote:
Abbie Doobie wrote:also, i would ask the partners if not having a reg no is holding you back to see if your concerns are accurate
Definitely this. Outside of PTAB work, patent litigation doesn't require being a member of the patent bar.
And TBH even PTAB work doesn't require a reg number. As long as you have one patent attorney willing to sign, 99% of the work can be done by regular lit associates. And you can get your name on the filings pro hac even without a reg number. The only exception is if the subject matter is so abstruse that a technical background is required to understand it, in which case a part time CS degree from the local state school isn't going to help too much.

That being said I know a pros attorney who got their tech degree after law school and it seems to have worked out for them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”