How is Boston if you have no ties? (BC Law) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawsohard93

New

How is Boston if you have no ties? (BC Law)

Post by lawsohard93 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:32 pm

I was really set on going to BC (moving out from CA) but my lack of ties to the area has been brought up as an issue by some. The firm I currently work for as a file clerk is headquartered in Boston and I plan on meeting with some associates there when I visit to discuss BC/biglaw. But that's the extent of who I know. Ultimately, moving to Boston is not some spontaneous decision, I've put heavy thought into where I want to work/live and Boston is the city that came out on top. I would HOPE to get biglaw but my concern is that with the difficulty in landing that kind of job as it is, even IF I managed to do great in law school and get great work experience, my lack of ties would severely hurt my possibilities. Yes, I know I that if I want biglaw, I should probably retake and try to score high enough for a T-14 and I'm seriously thinking that's what I may do if BC would indeed be too much of a risk Can anyone shed some light on the lack of ties issue?

skri65

Bronze

Re: How is Boston if you have no ties? (BC Law)

Post by skri65 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:36 pm

I'm a 3L at BC. My sense is that your dedication to live in Boston for 3 years during law school constitute sufficient ties. The fact that you seem to like Boston, and can probably give a few reasons why, should make this a non-issue. I know plenty of people who will be working at large law firms in the area who are not from the area. Assuming everything else matches up, I don't think your (lack of) ties will be an issue. Good luck.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”