Citing Westlaw cases in cover letter: Good idea, or bad idea? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JusticesLeague

New

Citing Westlaw cases in cover letter: Good idea, or bad idea?

Post by JusticesLeague » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:39 pm

I know you're supposed to research employers and tailor cover letters to the work that each is doing and why you would be an ideal candidate for each. Because we have WestLaw as a resource, I was wondering if it would be wise to mention beyond what's mentioned generically on their website and LinkedIN and actually cite cases that their team is working on. Technically this would be a way to show interest in an employer's projects, but I can see how it might come across badly in the legal sense.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you really just mention the field similarities or go really in depth with the cover letter business? What's an appropriate level of snoop when applying for summer associate/clerk positions?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Re: Citing Westlaw cases in cover letter: Good idea, or bad idea?

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm

Trying way too hard. It's like a dude who lifts and then wears a cutoff to a bar to pick up chicks. A form fitting shit is enough bro.

umichman

Bronze

Post by umichman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:36 pm

JusticesLeague wrote:I know you're supposed to research employers and tailor cover letters to the work that each is doing and why you would be an ideal candidate for each. Because we have WestLaw as a resource, I was wondering if it would be wise to mention beyond what's mentioned generically on their website and LinkedIN and actually cite cases that their team is working on. Technically this would be a way to show interest in an employer's projects, but I can see how it might come across badly in the legal sense.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you really just mention the field similarities or go really in depth with the cover letter business? What's an appropriate level of snoop when applying for summer associate/clerk positions?
I think this would come across as really odd and unnecessary.

L’Étranger

Bronze

Post by L’Étranger » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:45 pm

Only acceptable way to do a shout-out to yourself on a cover letter is if the firm does work in a practice area that you have some previous employment experience with and are interested in.

Otherwise, keep it boring. Your resume and transcript are where you will or will not standout.

jrass

Bronze

Post by jrass » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:52 pm

I don't think it's trying too hard if you're interested in it, but unless someone who directly worked on that case is reading the cover letter they're going to have no idea what you're talking about and you'll sound Rain Manish. It sounds like a good thing to talk about if you meet someone who was on it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

h2go

Bronze

Post by h2go » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:54 pm

Bad idea. Anyone who is actually working on those cases isn't going to be spending the time to read a cover letter.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:10 pm

IMO could be beneficial when applying to small firm or a judges chambers. At a larger/mid-sized firm, I'm pretty sure CL's are just screened by recruiters/HR.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:18 pm

For Biglaw? Just don't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”