UCLA 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby zot1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:10 pm

87mm wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
Posted in another thread but... what are your thoughts on motorcycles around campus and the area (assuming you have a car as well). Is parking pretty easy for motorcycles near the law school and the graduate housing?


Lots of vespas around. I don't know specific to graduate housing but I believe bikes park for free on campus on designated spaces. There's parking to the side of the law school where you can likely land your bike.


Thanks. Are they typically crowded? My bike is a bit bigger than a vespa. Also, how is the campus gym/graduate gym?


It's not too bad. Parking in general at UCLA sucks big time. So you definitely want to get there earlier if you can manage.

The Wooden Center sucks. It is small and crowded AF. However, when I left UCLA (undergrad) some years ago, there was construction going on for another gym. Not sure if that ever happened. Maybe some current students can confirm/deny.

There is an LA Fitness on Wilshire and Westwood (or Gayley).

87mm
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:38 am

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby 87mm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:46 am

.

User avatar
the lsat failure
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:26 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby the lsat failure » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Key Kai, I was wondering if you had any information on the class profile of those who received the Distinguished Scholars Program/Law Achievement Program? I know you are part of the class before it was put into effect, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Also, I saw that there are two sections to Weyburn (Paseo/Reg); if I wanted to live in a studio, are they distributed through a lottery system irrespective of whether the studio is part of the newer construction?

LitttUp
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby LitttUp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Kaizen428 wrote:
87mm wrote:How is the atmosphere among the students during 1L? Does the school have more gunners or less gunners than the typical T14?

What is the curve like? I hear law school curves are brutal, however, UCLA seems to be reasonable relaxed compared to the atmospheres of other schools.

Is it cheaper to split rent out in town or do you think Weyburn is the best deal? Also, is graduate housing reasonably quiet?

Also curious if UCLA looks down on negotiating a second round of merit aid.


I'm lead to believe that UCLA is significantly LESS gunnerish than the typical T14. Everyone is super friendly and willing to help. The only time I know people ever have problems sharing notes is if someone is constantly sleeping in or missing class because they just didn't feel like coming to class or are drinking too much. People are even pretty open and friendly during graded memo time. Also, in class I've noticed that at least in my section we don't really have gunners, we just have people that like to raise their hands and sometimes go on weird off-topic monologues/lectures that are completely unnecessary. But nothing aggressive.

As far as housing I think Weyburn is the best deal. And I haven't heard anyone complain about noise in Weyburn, and I have 4-5 friends living in different places in there.


Not sure if anyone still cares about this, but I think UCLA IS less gunnerish. These are almost all kids who could have gone to a T-14 and intentionally chose not to. And no kidding, the constant sunshine helps people chill out.

User avatar
Motionsinlemons
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby Motionsinlemons » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Hey! Recently accepted my offer of admission and I am looking for housing close to UCLA, any suggestions?

Kaizen428
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby Kaizen428 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:52 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:Hey! Recently accepted my offer of admission and I am looking for housing close to UCLA, any suggestions?


If not graduate housing (Weyburn/Hilgard), i'd suggest looking in Westwood, Culver City, Santa Monica, or Brentwood. The last 2 are going to be pricy but the location is great.

Itiswritten
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby Itiswritten » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Kaizen428 wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:Hey! Recently accepted my offer of admission and I am looking for housing close to UCLA, any suggestions?


If not graduate housing (Weyburn/Hilgard), i'd suggest looking in Westwood, Culver City, Santa Monica, or Brentwood. The last 2 are going to be pricy but the location is great.



1L and I second this. I personally live in Westwood. It's pricey here, but that's standard for UCLA. It also depends on if you have a car or how you want to commute. I take the bus, and I think Westwood was a good choice.

Itiswritten
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby Itiswritten » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:45 pm

zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
Posted in another thread but... what are your thoughts on motorcycles around campus and the area (assuming you have a car as well). Is parking pretty easy for motorcycles near the law school and the graduate housing?


Lots of vespas around. I don't know specific to graduate housing but I believe bikes park for free on campus on designated spaces. There's parking to the side of the law school where you can likely land your bike.


Thanks. Are they typically crowded? My bike is a bit bigger than a vespa. Also, how is the campus gym/graduate gym?


It's not too bad. Parking in general at UCLA sucks big time. So you definitely want to get there earlier if you can manage.

The Wooden Center sucks. It is small and crowded AF. However, when I left UCLA (undergrad) some years ago, there was construction going on for another gym. Not sure if that ever happened. Maybe some current students can confirm/deny.

There is an LA Fitness on Wilshire and Westwood (or Gayley).


I disagree. I think Wooden is pretty sweet and it's not that small. It's got to be at least 20k square feet and has lots of features (basketball courts, sauna, swimming pool, tennis court, racquetball, etc.). It can get crowded in the weightroom but so can the LA fitness.

We have a grad student gym called Kinross that is currently under construction. I don't really like the grad student gym- it's tiny (think, the size of a gym at an average hotel) and it's off campus (Kinross is the street name, and also the gym name).

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby zot1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Itiswritten wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
Posted in another thread but... what are your thoughts on motorcycles around campus and the area (assuming you have a car as well). Is parking pretty easy for motorcycles near the law school and the graduate housing?


Lots of vespas around. I don't know specific to graduate housing but I believe bikes park for free on campus on designated spaces. There's parking to the side of the law school where you can likely land your bike.


Thanks. Are they typically crowded? My bike is a bit bigger than a vespa. Also, how is the campus gym/graduate gym?


It's not too bad. Parking in general at UCLA sucks big time. So you definitely want to get there earlier if you can manage.

The Wooden Center sucks. It is small and crowded AF. However, when I left UCLA (undergrad) some years ago, there was construction going on for another gym. Not sure if that ever happened. Maybe some current students can confirm/deny.

There is an LA Fitness on Wilshire and Westwood (or Gayley).


I disagree. I think Wooden is pretty sweet and it's not that small. It's got to be at least 20k square feet and has lots of features (basketball courts, sauna, swimming pool, tennis court, racquetball, etc.). It can get crowded in the weightroom but so can the LA fitness.

We have a grad student gym called Kinross that is currently under construction. I don't really like the grad student gym- it's tiny (think, the size of a gym at an average hotel) and it's off campus (Kinross is the street name, and also the gym name).


You disagree because you've never had the pleasure to go to the ARC. That's a real facility. Wooden is always crowded and you almost always have to wait for machines, courts, etc.

ray.bee
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby ray.bee » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:59 pm

zot1 wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
Posted in another thread but... what are your thoughts on motorcycles around campus and the area (assuming you have a car as well). Is parking pretty easy for motorcycles near the law school and the graduate housing?


Lots of vespas around. I don't know specific to graduate housing but I believe bikes park for free on campus on designated spaces. There's parking to the side of the law school where you can likely land your bike.


Thanks. Are they typically crowded? My bike is a bit bigger than a vespa. Also, how is the campus gym/graduate gym?


It's not too bad. Parking in general at UCLA sucks big time. So you definitely want to get there earlier if you can manage.

The Wooden Center sucks. It is small and crowded AF. However, when I left UCLA (undergrad) some years ago, there was construction going on for another gym. Not sure if that ever happened. Maybe some current students can confirm/deny.

There is an LA Fitness on Wilshire and Westwood (or Gayley).


I disagree. I think Wooden is pretty sweet and it's not that small. It's got to be at least 20k square feet and has lots of features (basketball courts, sauna, swimming pool, tennis court, racquetball, etc.). It can get crowded in the weightroom but so can the LA fitness.

We have a grad student gym called Kinross that is currently under construction. I don't really like the grad student gym- it's tiny (think, the size of a gym at an average hotel) and it's off campus (Kinross is the street name, and also the gym name).


You disagree because you've never had the pleasure to go to the ARC. That's a real facility. Wooden is always crowded and you almost always have to wait for machines, courts, etc.


Now that the hill has B Fit, isn't Wooden less crowded?

User avatar
zot1
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby zot1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 pm

ray.bee wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
Posted in another thread but... what are your thoughts on motorcycles around campus and the area (assuming you have a car as well). Is parking pretty easy for motorcycles near the law school and the graduate housing?


Lots of vespas around. I don't know specific to graduate housing but I believe bikes park for free on campus on designated spaces. There's parking to the side of the law school where you can likely land your bike.


Thanks. Are they typically crowded? My bike is a bit bigger than a vespa. Also, how is the campus gym/graduate gym?


It's not too bad. Parking in general at UCLA sucks big time. So you definitely want to get there earlier if you can manage.

The Wooden Center sucks. It is small and crowded AF. However, when I left UCLA (undergrad) some years ago, there was construction going on for another gym. Not sure if that ever happened. Maybe some current students can confirm/deny.

There is an LA Fitness on Wilshire and Westwood (or Gayley).


I disagree. I think Wooden is pretty sweet and it's not that small. It's got to be at least 20k square feet and has lots of features (basketball courts, sauna, swimming pool, tennis court, racquetball, etc.). It can get crowded in the weightroom but so can the LA fitness.

We have a grad student gym called Kinross that is currently under construction. I don't really like the grad student gym- it's tiny (think, the size of a gym at an average hotel) and it's off campus (Kinross is the street name, and also the gym name).


You disagree because you've never had the pleasure to go to the ARC. That's a real facility. Wooden is always crowded and you almost always have to wait for machines, courts, etc.


Now that the hill has B Fit, isn't Wooden less crowded?


Someone revived a post from some time ago. Maybe things changed at Wooden, but I still doubt it. Someone feel free to update us all. Still though, ARC > Wooden Center.

LitttUp
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby LitttUp » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Grad/Law students get a free LA Fitness membership for the Westwood branch until the Kinross renovations are completed.

butterfly333
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby butterfly333 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

zot1 wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:
zot1 wrote:
87mm wrote:

Thanks. Are they typically crowded? My bike is a bit bigger than a vespa. Also, how is the campus gym/graduate gym?


It's not too bad. Parking in general at UCLA sucks big time. So you definitely want to get there earlier if you can manage.

The Wooden Center sucks. It is small and crowded AF. However, when I left UCLA (undergrad) some years ago, there was construction going on for another gym. Not sure if that ever happened. Maybe some current students can confirm/deny.

There is an LA Fitness on Wilshire and Westwood (or Gayley).


I disagree. I think Wooden is pretty sweet and it's not that small. It's got to be at least 20k square feet and has lots of features (basketball courts, sauna, swimming pool, tennis court, racquetball, etc.). It can get crowded in the weightroom but so can the LA fitness.

We have a grad student gym called Kinross that is currently under construction. I don't really like the grad student gym- it's tiny (think, the size of a gym at an average hotel) and it's off campus (Kinross is the street name, and also the gym name).


You disagree because you've never had the pleasure to go to the ARC. That's a real facility. Wooden is always crowded and you almost always have to wait for machines, courts, etc.


Now that the hill has B Fit, isn't Wooden less crowded?


Someone revived a post from some time ago. Maybe things changed at Wooden, but I still doubt it. Someone feel free to update us all. Still though, ARC > Wooden Center.


Do law/all grad students have free access to the gyms other than the grad student gym?

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Any thoughts on the following profs?

Oh for Contracts
Grady for Torts
Gómez for CivPro
Schneider for Legal Writing

AaronCarter
Posts: 198
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am

Re: UCLA 1L Taking Questions

Postby AaronCarter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 pm

How has the difficulty been in landing a paid summer position?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: codys2592, Google Adsense [Bot], IExistedOnceBefore, ihatenumbers, ledyardlives, MantisToboggan, Ryanromano, sparkytrainer, virginia_direwoolf and 9 guests