studying abroad - in law school? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Troianii

Silver

studying abroad - in law school?

Post by Troianii » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:14 am

I'm just generally curious about the benefits and downsides of studying abroad in law school. It seems obvious that it could help if someone wants to do international law, but it seems to be a bad move if someone wants to work in the local area because it's just that much time that you're not in your area making connections and networking. Apart from that, it seems mostly just to be the obvious - studying abroad is "neat", but it costs extra money, yadayadayada.

So is there some larger benefit (or downside) that I'm not thinking of?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: studying abroad - in law school?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:17 am

If you go to a biglaw-feeding school and get a biglaw job through 2L OCI, you don't really need additional semesters of making connections/networking. (Also, many T14-ers aren't attending school where they plan to work, so that part's a wash, anyway.)

Basically, any time you have a job lined up, studying abroad is perfectly cool. If you don't have a job lined up, yeah, you should probably spend the semester networking.

Troianii

Silver

Re: studying abroad - in law school?

Post by Troianii » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:16 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:If you go to a biglaw-feeding school and get a biglaw job through 2L OCI, you don't really need additional semesters of making connections/networking. (Also, many T14-ers aren't attending school where they plan to work, so that part's a wash, anyway.)

Basically, any time you have a job lined up, studying abroad is perfectly cool. If you don't have a job lined up, yeah, you should probably spend the semester networking.
I don't think I'll be a T14-er haha. But yeah, what you're saying sounds about right to me. It just struck me as a bit odd for so many law schools to tour study abroad options when pretty much all but 25 law schools are pure regional law schools, by which I mean 80+% of their grads stay in state. I didn't know if studying abroad would make a significant difference with international law, but apart from the possibility of networking opportunities, I doubt it.

Thanks for the response.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”