Resume Gap Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eagle2a

Bronze

Resume Gap

Post by eagle2a » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 am

I've got a 2 year gap between graduating and starting law school. Do you think small firms will press me on this? I was basically dicking around for 2 years

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Re: Resume Gap

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eagle2a

Bronze

Post by eagle2a » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:47 am

"working" at my dad's business/ useless internships

I can probably make it sound like something worthwhile, i was really just trying to see if even small firms care about this stuff

marywiltonn

New

Post by marywiltonn » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:43 am

I want your suggestion that there is a gap of 3 years so will be feasible for me to join a law school.

hangingtree

New

Post by hangingtree » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 am

eagle2a wrote:"working" at my dad's business/ useless internships

I can probably make it sound like something worthwhile, i was really just trying to see if even small firms care about this stuff
It's all about the way you spin it. At OCI interviews you'll either get questions about specific positions, "what did you do between undergrad and law school?", or definitely "tell me about yourself". Craft a coherent (but genuine) narrative and you'll be fine.

Whether small firms specifically will care about this, I'm not sure how you think their interviews might be different from bigger firms. One thing I can say is that my interviews with smaller/less prestigious firms tended to be more substantive and more about being a lawyer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”