Would it look back to go to another school's networking events? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Noninoni

New

Would it look back to go to another school's networking events?

Post by Noninoni » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:38 am

Okay, so I'm a 2L who realized that she picked the wrong school to go to and now my preferred field of law is halfway across the country. I'd love to go to one of their (many) networking events centered around this field, but I'm thinking that employers would not look favorably on this. Plus, it's an event that takes place during the second half of the semester.

So what would you do if you needed to network halfway across the country?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Would it look back to go to another school's networking events?

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:03 pm

Try and find an alum of your school who practices in the area you are interested in... reach out to them and see what type of advice (if any) you can get from them.

No input on going to another school's event; although I'm not sure that would be kosher. Again, probably not the right place to ask -- reach out to the other school, or the org hosting the event and see what they say.

Abraham Lincoln Uni.

Bronze

Re: Would it look back to go to another school's networking events?

Post by Abraham Lincoln Uni. » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Hello:

You may always contact the host of the event and see what their stance is on the matter, whether other students from other universities will attend, and if it is recommended and open to outside students/individuals.

Try interning or even contacting an individual, student, or alumni who is currently practicing in the area you wish to. This will give you a better idea and give you feedback on how to end up practicing in that area.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”