How to get into HLS? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
totesTheGoat

Silver

Re: How to get into HLS?

Post by totesTheGoat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:48 pm

landshoes wrote:dude just lol. you really can't tell the difference between a conservative and a conservative who chooses to go to PHC?
God forbid they might even listen to.... RUSH LIMBAUGH!!! The gall of those wiley bigots!
I don't think it's purposeful so much as I think that you are just bad at reading/arguing and literally can't understand my arguments. so, you know, tough luck for you, but I'm pretty much done.
Smug and ignorant ain't no way to go through life.

If you can't recognize the enormous gulf between questioning the qualifications of somebody who went to a small, ideologically based school and creating a (supposedly rebuttable) assumption that they're a bigot because they went to that school, I can't help you.

LawyerNever

Bronze

Post by LawyerNever » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:49 pm

I thought I was a hardcore conservative when I was in high school too.
6 years later, I lean left.

OP, don't base life decisions on political ideology incubated during every human's worst years.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Golly! OP is great at stirring the pot with these posts. Troll level: 190. My guess is they're a bored 3L at Berkley that has had their fill of liberal ideology.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

totesTheGoat wrote:It's not about "liberal boogiemen," it's about intellectual diversity. landshoes made the claim that s/he would be skeptical of a PHC candidate because they may be a liability/HR issue (due to the college's ideological bias or "belief bubble"). When I presented a college (Oberlin) that is notoriously ideologically biased in the opposite direction, the goalposts started moving. To restate my original question (and the entire reason for bringing up Oberlin): Setting aside whether a degree from PHC is worth a lick, why is a PHC grad an HR issue, but an Oberlin grad isn't?
Because Oberlin grad isn't the liberal equivalent of PHC. You might not like Oberlin, but it's not exclusively liberal to the degree PHC is exclusively conservative. You're not comparing similar things.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:11 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: You might not like Oberlin,
Frankly, I'm neutral on Oberlin. I'm not a conservative, so I really don't get into the whole "ideological bias" battle too much. Heck, I graduated UG years ago... it doesn't affect me in the slightest.
but it's not exclusively liberal to the degree PHC is exclusively conservative. You're not comparing similar things.
Fair enough. I'll concede that Oberlin may not be the best example. At the very least, my (poorly-chosen) Oberlin example is completely interfering with the real discussion.

Notwithstanding, this idea that landshoes put forth of applying some sort of presumption of bigotry on a job applicant from an ideologically based school is still ridiculous. It's one thing to say "too bad you spent your UG at a school that prioritizes ideology over quality, but you're really not as qualified for the job as the other candidates." It's completely different than saying "Oh, a PHC grad.... yeah, you're gonna have to prove to me that you're not going to mouth off to the atheist downstairs or harass the single mom down the hall before I can hire you."

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:36 pm

what's funny about this is that I know a PHC grad and he's obviously super smart and more than qualified for law school

IAmLawSchool

New

Post by IAmLawSchool » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:56 pm

First of all, you should never go there because of some politician, and it's a horrible reason for motivation. If you want to get into HLS, every morning look in the mirror and say "I am an asset." :-D Then convince the law schools that, when you have a 4.0 GPA and high LSAT. If you want to have conservative views that matter, and be a cool conservative. Be a rich one, then your opinion will matter. Taking on 300k of debt when you don't know how to make that type of money, that right there...and also, to justify a reason like that for going to law school (let alone a specific one)you would need..actually I don't think a 4.0/179 would be enough, that and what I mentioned before this...unless you have other skills we don't know about. Focus on creating those, go major in Political Science first.

IAmLawSchool

New

Post by IAmLawSchool » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:03 pm

JDJohnP21 wrote:It doesn't matter. It just seemed odd to me. None of you have answered my real question. Is GW better than my other options?
Coming from a Conservative (Me.) Atleast it's a law school where a real politician went, Harry Reid
George Washington Law School exposes the students to a variety of different viewpoints. Some may be controversial, but that is the way you learn. Going to a school that embraces diversity in every respect is incredibly important. It is this type of mentality that will create a long-term effort of change and leaders that our country needs in order to flourish and thrive on a daily basis. In law school, we are strategically prepared to think and speak with conviction, action and poise. Considering the nation's capital, that one is hell of a place! Imagine raising your children there.
Last edited by IAmLawSchool on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAmLawSchool

New

Post by IAmLawSchool » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:21 pm

basedvulpes wrote:
IAmLawSchool wrote:First of all, you should never go there because of some politician, and it's a horrible reason for motivation. If you want to get into HLS, every morning look in the mirror and say "I am an asset." :-D Then convince the law schools that, when you have a 4.0 GPA and high LSAT. If you want to have conservative views that matter, and be a cool conservative. Be a rich one, then your opinion will matter. Taking on 300k of debt when you don't know how to make that type of money, that right there...and also, to justify a reason like that for going to law school (let alone a specific one)you would need..actually I don't think a 4.0/179 would be enough, that and what I mentioned before this...unless you have other skills we don't know about. Focus on creating those, go major in Political Science first.
I'm starting to think you're just an alt of IWantToBeAFarmer
Who's that? I have only one other account and it's HxAxDxExS and when I created that, I did so thinking I can change it. I never wrote on any forums before, none have interested me to do so. I figure this will be a perfect one to correlate with my passion(s).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:28 pm

IAmLawSchool wrote:
basedvulpes wrote:
IAmLawSchool wrote:First of all, you should never go there because of some politician, and it's a horrible reason for motivation. If you want to get into HLS, every morning look in the mirror and say "I am an asset." :-D Then convince the law schools that, when you have a 4.0 GPA and high LSAT. If you want to have conservative views that matter, and be a cool conservative. Be a rich one, then your opinion will matter. Taking on 300k of debt when you don't know how to make that type of money, that right there...and also, to justify a reason like that for going to law school (let alone a specific one)you would need..actually I don't think a 4.0/179 would be enough, that and what I mentioned before this...unless you have other skills we don't know about. Focus on creating those, go major in Political Science first.
Who's that? I have only one other account and it's HxAxDxExS and when I created that, I did so thinking I can change it. I never wrote on any forums before, none have interested me to do so. I figure this will be a perfect one to correlate with my passion(s).
Please Be Assured That He Is Not An Alt Of IWantToBeAFarmer. I Cannot Divulge How I Know This.

Also, I Have Found A New Faith-Based Weight Loss Plan If Anyone Wants To Hear About It.

IAmLawSchool

New

Post by IAmLawSchool » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
IAmLawSchool wrote:
basedvulpes wrote:
Please Be Assured That He Is Not An Alt Of IWantToBeAFarmer. I Cannot Divulge How I Know This.

Also, I Have Found A New Faith-Based Weight Loss Plan If Anyone Wants To Hear About It.
I'm still lost. But one would assume you are this IWant character not being able to divulge and all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:12 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:36 pm

basedvulpes wrote:
IAmLawSchool wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Please Be Assured That He Is Not An Alt Of IWantToBeAFarmer. I Cannot Divulge How I Know This.

I'm still lost. But one would assume you are this IWant character not being able to divulge and all.
The man raises an interesting point
I Am Not An Alt for IWantToBeAFarmer. I Do Not Know Where You Would Get This Idea. I Wish That I Could Say How I Knew, But I Am Not The Sort Of Person To Say Things That I Am Not Supposed To Say. You Have My Word On That. I Am Just A Simple Man Who Enjoys Wrestling Nature And Drinking Vanilla Coke.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAmLawSchool

New

Post by IAmLawSchool » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:33 pm

basedvulpes wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:
basedvulpes wrote:
IAmLawSchool wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Please Be Assured That He Is Not An Alt Of IWantToBeAFarmer. I Cannot Divulge How I Know This.

The man raises an interesting point
I Am Not An Alt for IWantToBeAFarmer. I Do Not Know Where You Would Get This Idea. I Wish That I Could Say How I Knew, But I Am Not The Sort Of Person To Say Things That I Am Not Supposed To Say. You Have My Word On That. I Am Just A Simple Man Who Enjoys Wrestling Nature And Drinking Vanilla Coke.
You're not doing a good job convincing me...
And Apparently A Man That Spends His Time Pressing Shift On Every Word He Types (I know it is fun and all.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Already taken care of.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:38 pm

MistakenGenius wrote:Uggh, this thread was entertaining at one point, but now it's just idiotic and starting to piss me off. dcc and based, I don't know why you're wasting time talking to this guy. He's an idiot. I mean, from this thread, first what the hell is a "real politician?" I might not like Ted Cruz, as I think I made clear from the first page, but he's every bit as "real" a politician as fucking Harry Reid. But then again, isn't this the poster who made a post about what count as regional schools, then said he was going to go back home after law school and run a construction company?

Also, mods, probably Nony. I'm pretty sure he just admitted to having two accounts, this "IamLawSchool" and "HxAxDxExS." Seems pretty clear since they chose the same avatar. Maybe delete one like you usually do?
Also, who cares about where you're going to be raising your kids if you have 300k of LS debt and no job after attending GW. (I know, GW is not that bad.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:05 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDJohnP21

New

Post by JDJohnP21 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:20 am

landshoes
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I'm NOT Evangelical. I'm a conservative High Anglican. PHC is very diverse when it comes to denominations (they've got Anglicans, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Eastern Orthodox etc) It's not just Evangelicals. I'm saddened by the comments on TLS about conservatives. Not supporting sodomy or abortion does not make me a bigot. A bigot is someone who HATES gays(Westbro Baptist Church) Liberals claim to be open-minded, but if you don't agree with them you are automatically a bigot. Everything is subjective to Liberals. There is no truth. Relativism has destroyed our colleges, and our culture. Also, it's funny that you guys attack PHC for not being "intellectually diverse", and having a motto of "For Christ and For Liberty" Well Reed College's motto is "Communism, Atheism, and Free Love" Does that sound diverse to you? Are you willing to apply the same standard to Reed as you do to PHC? Like i've said, PHC is not my only option. I will be visiting Hampden-Sydney next week. I'm really looking forward to it for several reasons.
1. I've heard that HSC has an environment similar that of a private country club (that's a huge plus for me.) It's all-male, southern, preppy and has good Greek Life
2. HSC has been rated as one of the most conservative schools in America by the Princeton Review.
3. HSC has a very solid reputation in the South(they have a huge alumni network in Richmond and Atlanta)
4. HSC has small classes (average class size in 15)
Ultimately, I think my choice will come down to PHC, HSC, and Hillsdale. I am NOT going to attend a school where they teach relativism.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:50 am

Cool, thanks for providing everyone with up to the minute coverage on your college plans.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”