GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:51 pm

lula43 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
lula43 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
lula43 wrote:Can a current student please speak to their experience of commuting via metrorail during 1L?
From where
Hyattsville.
You'd be paying probably $150+/mo on the metro, how much are you saving on rent by being out there? A ~45~ minute commute isn't going to be the worst thing in the world, but it's kind of pushing the limit of tolerable IMO. It definitely won't be a problem for getting to class/academically but could be an issue if you're worried about being social or plan on being on campus late a lot.
Are students often on campus for social events after 11 pm? I would have to leave to get back on the train around 11:45 (I understand this may not be the safest option). Additionally, I will have my car at my apartment. Georgetown's website says the fee for parking is $8.40 a day. I could drive on days that I know I anticipate being there late. Do you think that is practical? Alternatively, I'm thinking of going home and grabbing my car for the evenings I will be on campus late, time permitting, since parking is *free* after 5 pm.
I've literally never been on campus *that* late and in the rare event that you are I'd just lyft home in that instance anyway. Anytime you'd be out that late it would be social for sure and most likely not on the campus but out at bars. Commuting home then driving back for free parking would suck don't do that. Otherwise if you're not commuting averse this is a fine plan depending on how much you'll be saving since like I said you'll be paying a lot on the metro. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Hyattsville but PG county generally has a pretty bad rep if you're unfamiliar

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:55 pm

Also I drive occasionally there's always plenty of spots and it's probably about even or cheaper than your metro commute will be actually

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:08 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Also I drive occasionally there's always plenty of spots and it's probably about even or cheaper than your metro commute will be actually
Thanks!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Also I drive occasionally there's always plenty of spots and it's probably about even or cheaper than your metro commute will be actually
When are you driving? I tried using the commuter parking last fall and could never get a spot so just paid the $800 or whatever for Gewirz parking.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:19 pm

usn26 wrote:
When are you driving? I tried using the commuter parking last fall and could never get a spot so just paid the $800 or whatever for Gewirz parking.
if i'm driving i usually get there either before 10 or after 5 and i've never even had to park in the back area i always get a spot right next to the elevators

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:37 pm

usn26 wrote:
Drove every day I had to come to campus for class for 3 years all times of the day. Generally always got a spot, usually in the back. Once every week or two I'd park in admin parking. In 3 years, they only nailed me once for it. Protip: Don't display your parking pass if you park in admin. The ticket they give you just says "failure to display parking pass", which you bring to the parking office, say "my bad, I forgot to put my pass up" and they void the ticket.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks, y'all. How much should we expect to spend on books during 1L?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:53 pm

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:09 pm

lula43 wrote:Thanks, y'all. How much should we expect to spend on books during 1L?
I spent about $1,500 1L year, including at least 1 supplement for each class. I got back about $1,300 reselling them on Amazon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm

Can someone explain why some upper level classes - despite having identical descriptions - can be either 3 credits or 4 credits? What is the difference between 4-credit Antitrust Law and 3-credit Antitrust Law?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:Can someone explain why some upper level classes - despite having identical descriptions - can be either 3 credits or 4 credits? What is the difference between 4-credit Antitrust Law and 3-credit Antitrust Law?
Fewer hours per week. Theoretically less reading/exam material but that doesn't play out in reality

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:50 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:Can someone explain why some upper level classes - despite having identical descriptions - can be either 3 credits or 4 credits? What is the difference between 4-credit Antitrust Law and 3-credit Antitrust Law?
Fewer hours per week. Theoretically less reading/exam material but that doesn't play out in reality
I agree its a total crapshoot. --- always look out for easy 4cr classes you can p/f

Anonnonnon

Bronze

Post by Anonnonnon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:54 pm

Any ideas on how we should be choosing our 2L classes in general? Like what kind of requirements do we need to fulfill (credit and otherwise), recommendations for classes to take, etc? Just looking for general advice here.

If it matters, I took The Regulatory State as my elective. Does that count for my administrative law credit? If so, how can I tell?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Last edited by Alive97 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missie

New

Post by missie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Another question regarding registration for 2L - thoughts on taking a seminar to fulfill an upper level writing requirement/not? I get the difference in credit hours, but what else is the distinction?

Also - any advice on International Law I professors?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:13 pm

missie wrote:Another question regarding registration for 2L - thoughts on taking a seminar to fulfill an upper level writing requirement/not? I get the difference in credit hours, but what else is the distinction?
If I'm reading your question right ("what's the difference btw 2 and 3cr version of a seminar"), it's usually just the paper. 3cr requires 6000w draft and final. 2cr requires fewer words and not as much involvement from the professor throughout the process.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Anonnonnon wrote:Any ideas on how we should be choosing our 2L classes in general?
shoot for 14 credits

how easy (is it cross listed with LLMs) >>>> schedule >> tangential interests

in that order

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mbpats7

New

Post by mbpats7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 pm

barkschool wrote:
Anonnonnon wrote:Any ideas on how we should be choosing our 2L classes in general?

in that order
I take it that classes cross-listed with LLMs are harder?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Anonnonnon wrote:Any ideas on how we should be choosing our 2L classes in general? Like what kind of requirements do we need to fulfill (credit and otherwise), recommendations for classes to take, etc? Just looking for general advice here.

If it matters, I took The Regulatory State as my elective. Does that count for my administrative law credit? If so, how can I tell?
You need 85 total credits, the only requirements are professional responsibility and a writing requirement seminar, and reg state will sometime count for classes that require admin as a prerequisite but you may have to specially petition the registrar.

If you're looking for a guide as to what to take common classes are corporations, evidence, tax, any bar subject, federal courts, con law II, employment etc. but i would just take whatever sounds interesting to you or whatever is a prerequisite to whatever sounds interesting to you.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:38 pm

mbpats7 wrote:
barkschool wrote:

in that order

Easier. ESL llms don't do as well on exams is the common line thinking which makes sense to me but I have no hard data to back it up.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:40 pm

usn26 wrote:
missie wrote:Another question regarding registration for 2L - thoughts on taking a seminar to fulfill an upper level writing requirement/not? I get the difference in credit hours, but what else is the distinction?
If I'm reading your question right ("what's the difference btw 2 and 3cr version of a seminar"), it's usually just the paper. 3cr requires 6000w draft and final. 2cr requires fewer words and not as much involvement from the professor throughout the process.
You need to fulfill the WR anyway

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:42 pm

barkschool wrote: shoot for 14 credits
Meh I might do more than this just to make 3lol extra 3lolish. I've got an 11 credit 3L spring planned and I wish I could've don't it fall too.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
mbpats7 wrote:
barkschool wrote:

in that order

Easier. ESL llms don't do as well on exams is the common line thinking which makes sense to me but I have no hard data to back it up.
This rule does not apply to the NatSec LLM and classes.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:49 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonnonnon wrote:Any ideas on how we should be choosing our 2L classes in general? Like what kind of requirements do we need to fulfill (credit and otherwise), recommendations for classes to take, etc? Just looking for general advice here.

You need 85 total credits, the only requirements are professional responsibility and a writing requirement seminar, and reg state will sometime count for classes that require admin as a prerequisite but you may have to specially petition the registrar.

If you're looking for a guide as to what to take common classes are corporations, evidence, tax, any bar subject, federal courts, con law II, employment etc. but i would just take whatever sounds interesting to you or whatever is a prerequisite to whatever sounds interesting to you.
Isn't there some new requirement for c/o 2019 and after? Thought it was admin.

browniestasty

Bronze

Post by browniestasty » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:55 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
mbpats7 wrote:
barkschool wrote:

in that order

ESL is part of the issue but I think the bigger issue is a lot of them are basically on paid vacation and don't actually give a fuck about their grades.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”