GULC Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MrSam
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:48 am

Silly question:

With our GULC credentials (e.g. student ID), can we visit Georgetown's main campus?
I'm asking because I have the opportunity to move in with a good friend who lives within walking distance of the main campus. It would be nice to just walk to the library on the weekends and study there.

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4728
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 am

MrSam wrote:Silly question:

With our GULC credentials (e.g. student ID), can we visit Georgetown's main campus?
I'm asking because I have the opportunity to move in with a good friend who lives within walking distance of the main campus. It would be nice to just walk to the library on the weekends and study there.


Yeah, you can use the main campus facilities with your ID.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3765
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:27 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
MrSam wrote:Silly question:

With our GULC credentials (e.g. student ID), can we visit Georgetown's main campus?
I'm asking because I have the opportunity to move in with a good friend who lives within walking distance of the main campus. It would be nice to just walk to the library on the weekends and study there.


Yeah, you can use the main campus facilities with your ID.

However, it'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there

pardon me I mean the law center

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby usn26 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:26 am

Hand wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
MrSam wrote:Silly question:

With our GULC credentials (e.g. student ID), can we visit Georgetown's main campus?
I'm asking because I have the opportunity to move in with a good friend who lives within walking distance of the main campus. It would be nice to just walk to the library on the weekends and study there.


Yeah, you can use the main campus facilities with your ID.

However, it'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there

pardon me I mean the law center


Also, if my experience is representative, you will get sick literally every single time you step foot in the undergrad library.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:30 am

Hand wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
MrSam wrote:Silly question:

With our GULC credentials (e.g. student ID), can we visit Georgetown's main campus?
I'm asking because I have the opportunity to move in with a good friend who lives within walking distance of the main campus. It would be nice to just walk to the library on the weekends and study there.


Yeah, you can use the main campus facilities with your ID.

However, it'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there

pardon me I mean the law center


Yeah I'm pretty pro commuting as far and law students go and that'd be a bit of a nightmare commute (by public transport at least)

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby usn26 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:38 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote:It'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there


Yeah I'm pretty pro commuting as far and law students go and that'd be a bit of a nightmare commute (by public transport at least)


Is the GUTS bus that bad?

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3765
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 am

usn26 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote:It'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there


Yeah I'm pretty pro commuting as far and law students go and that'd be a bit of a nightmare commute (by public transport at least)


Is the GUTS bus that bad?

I've never taken it but I assume that it does not go nearly as often as one would like, plus I assume it's slow as shit given the horrendous traffic you'll sit in while crossing downtown

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3765
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:03 am

Hand wrote:
usn26 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote:It'll be a pain to get to the law school from over there


Yeah I'm pretty pro commuting as far and law students go and that'd be a bit of a nightmare commute (by public transport at least)


Is the GUTS bus that bad?

I've never taken it but I assume that it does not go nearly as often as one would like, plus I assume it's slow as shit given the horrendous traffic you'll sit in while crossing downtown

ITT: GULC students answer questions that no one asked

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6838
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:28 am

Circulator goes basically straight from Georgetown to the law school. It's not fast but it's frequent, cheap and direct enough that you could rely on it.

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2186
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Gray wrote:Circulator goes basically straight from Georgetown to the law school. It's not fast but it's frequent, cheap and direct enough that you could rely on it.


Yea, I've taken the circulator a bunch from Georgetown back to campus, and it isn't terrible. I'd bet it's on par with taking the metro.

MrSam
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:10 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby MrSam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks for the info, everyone! A family member of mine operates a vehicle shipping company, so it wouldn't really cost much to have my car transported to D.C. Would that help at all? Or is traffic going to be a nightmare either way?
I'm used to Los Angeles traffic, I can't imagine it being much worse than that.

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2186
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby BmoreOrLess » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:36 pm

MrSam wrote:Thanks for the info, everyone! A family member of mine operates a vehicle shipping company, so it wouldn't really cost much to have my car transported to D.C. Would that help at all? Or is traffic going to be a nightmare either way?
I'm used to Los Angeles traffic, I can't imagine it being much worse than that.


Traffic is obviously bad, but I think the bigger issue is parking. I haven't lived in Georgetown, but I'm willing to bet parking is pretty brutal as it's all street parking for the most part.

trramic
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby trramic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:47 pm

One more shot - does anybody have access to outlines from Seidman's Con Law I course? He's visiting at Chicago & it would be very helpful to get a look at one. Thanks in advance.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 pm

trramic wrote:One more shot - does anybody have access to outlines from Seidman's Con Law I course? He's visiting at Chicago & it would be very helpful to get a look at one. Thanks in advance.


none it the outline bank sorry pal

trramic
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby trramic » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:20 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
trramic wrote:One more shot - does anybody have access to outlines from Seidman's Con Law I course? He's visiting at Chicago & it would be very helpful to get a look at one. Thanks in advance.


none it the outline bank sorry pal


Damn - thanks for checking

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Anyone take banking regulation or consumer finance and have outlines?

User avatar
de minimis
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby de minimis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:23 pm

MrSam wrote:Thanks for the info, everyone! A family member of mine operates a vehicle shipping company, so it wouldn't really cost much to have my car transported to D.C. Would that help at all? Or is traffic going to be a nightmare either way?
I'm used to Los Angeles traffic, I can't imagine it being much worse than that.


I live over there and drive to school. The drive isn't bad at all. 15-20 mins during non-rush hour / 25-40 mins during rush hour. Street parking over there will be annoying and time consuming tho.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 940
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby usn26 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:44 pm

de minimis wrote:
MrSam wrote:Thanks for the info, everyone! A family member of mine operates a vehicle shipping company, so it wouldn't really cost much to have my car transported to D.C. Would that help at all? Or is traffic going to be a nightmare either way?
I'm used to Los Angeles traffic, I can't imagine it being much worse than that.


I live over there and drive to school. The drive isn't bad at all. 15-20 mins during non-rush hour / 25-40 mins during rush hour. Street parking over there will be annoying and time consuming tho.


Just remember that rush hour is 6-11, 11:30-1:30, and 2:30-7:30.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6838
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Just walked past a convo about TLS. Hi lurkers.

User avatar
ChristineBaskets
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:32 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby ChristineBaskets » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Question: if I am interested in trying to clerk/intern for a judge, non-profit, or something on Capitol Hill (e.g., House/Senate Judiciary Committee) in the Fall, should I be getting on those applications ASAP?

Asking because it's Spring Break and this is probably my last period of semi-free time until June. I'm not sure if it'll be too late to apply at that point (I've noticed that Fall applications have closed already for certain Senate members).

Also, when will 1Ls have some idea of what our 2L Fall schedule is going to look like (lots of apps ask about "availability"... not sure how I can answer that question at this point)? And is it feasible to juggle a journal, classes, and an internship in Fall of 2L semester?

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6838
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:02 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:Also, when will 1Ls have some idea of what our 2L Fall schedule is going to look like (lots of apps ask about "availability"... not sure how I can answer that question at this point)? And is it feasible to juggle a journal, classes, and an internship in Fall of 2L semester?

Not sure about part one of your question, but you will not really know your course schedule for a while. I believe you can start browsing courses in April or May, the first lottery is in June, but then you can't add/drop until August. As a 2L you won't get all of your choices in the first lottery, because 3Ls get priority, though you can often get in off of waitlists.That said, its fairly easy to select classes in a way that gives you entire days available to intern (I did thursdays and fridays this fall, which I decided before my schedule was finalized).

And yes, it is feasible to juggle all of those things, and much more. I would say just journal/internship is a light load, but I'm also relentlessly masochistic so someone else should probably weigh in.

cth77
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby cth77 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Is there any value - mainly for big law employment prospects, or even just generally - in being a law fellow? It seems like a huge time commitment, and I am trying to figure out if it is something worth applying for.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3765
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:07 pm

cth77 wrote:Is there any value - mainly for big law employment prospects, or even just generally - in being a law fellow? It seems like a huge time commitment, and I am trying to figure out if it is something worth applying for.

from what I can tell it's indeed a huge time commitment

you're effectively being a TA but paying for the privilege instead of getting paid, and I have no idea why anyone would be impressed with that, although it does give you something tangible you can point to when you're touting your superior writing skills

I didn't do it and those who did seem to mostly regret their decision

User avatar
de minimis
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby de minimis » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:17 pm

cth77 wrote:Is there any value - mainly for big law employment prospects, or even just generally - in being a law fellow? It seems like a huge time commitment, and I am trying to figure out if it is something worth applying for.


Anecdotally, I've heard it will make your legal writing much better. If you want to clerk, judges may appreciate it. If you're going into lit, certain employers may value it. That said, I have also heard that its a ton of work and who knows if the bump is worth it.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2854
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:22 pm

my impression is that it makes your writing requirement relatively easier. for people like me it would have been nice to have a defined topic and body of law applicable to that topic. other than that generally seems not worth the time tho




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests