GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
anonnymoose

New

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by anonnymoose » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

lawlzi wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:I have a question about Gewirz. I’m unfamiliar with the layout of Gewirz, but I was hoping to get a room further from the construction going on and was wondering if anyone knew which room numbers were on which sides of the building; for example, if rooms 1-7 on each floor were further from the construction vs. 8-14.
Odd numbered rooms overlook the construction side and even numbered ones overlook the law campus. If you're hoping to get the furthest room from the construction pick the highest, even numbered room on any floor.
Perfect! Thank you so much! If for some reason I do end up on the side of construction, how loud does it tend to be in the mornings? Are students on that side frequently awaken early in the morning by it?

lawlzi

New

Post by lawlzi » Tue May 30, 2017 1:34 pm

anonnymoose wrote:
lawlzi wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:I have a question about Gewirz. I’m unfamiliar with the layout of Gewirz, but I was hoping to get a room further from the construction going on and was wondering if anyone knew which room numbers were on which sides of the building; for example, if rooms 1-7 on each floor were further from the construction vs. 8-14.
Odd numbered rooms overlook the construction side and even numbered ones overlook the law campus. If you're hoping to get the furthest room from the construction pick the highest, even numbered room on any floor.
Perfect! Thank you so much! If for some reason I do end up on the side of construction, how loud does it tend to be in the mornings? Are students on that side frequently awaken early in the morning by it?
There's no real answer to your question because it depends on who you ask. The office of residence life offers things like earplugs and white noise machines to counteract some of the noise if you're disturbed.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue May 30, 2017 2:26 pm

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue May 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Gray wrote:
thelincolnlawyer wrote:Dean Treanor said in the spring grades email that all grades for non-graduating students will be posted by the first week of June. Was that when they were released last year? That seems surprisingly fast if they hold to that
No they fucked up property and I don't think we had it until mid june

So is this week or next week the first week of June

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue May 30, 2017 7:22 pm

EIther way I suppose this week is "by the first week" so where my grades at Denise

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Tue May 30, 2017 8:19 pm

So how crappy can my case comment be while still remaining confident that I'll get onto a journal, if I only rank secondary journals as my 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choices?

This has been... more painful than expected.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue May 30, 2017 9:10 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:So how crappy can my case comment be while still remaining confident that I'll get onto a journal, if I only rank secondary journals as my 1st, 2nd, & 3rd choices?

This has been... more painful than expected.
Speaking from experience, very, very bad

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 pm

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Wed May 31, 2017 9:58 pm

If one were aiming for transactional law (not necessarily tax), and has absolutely zero business/econ background, would having The Tax Lawyer on one's resume carry any positive weight at OCI (as opposed to, say JLPP)? Or am I overthinking this and should just rank the one that sounds most interesting t #1?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed May 31, 2017 10:19 pm

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed May 31, 2017 10:27 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:If one were aiming for transactional law (not necessarily tax), and has absolutely zero business/econ background, would having The Tax Lawyer on one's resume carry any positive weight at OCI (as opposed to, say JLPP)? Or am I overthinking this and should just rank the one that sounds most interesting t #1?
It doesn't hurt but also firms generally don't care what secondary journal you're on. They barely care if you're on a journal at all.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed May 31, 2017 11:01 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:If one were aiming for transactional law (not necessarily tax), and has absolutely zero business/econ background, would having The Tax Lawyer on one's resume carry any positive weight at OCI (as opposed to, say JLPP)? Or am I overthinking this and should just rank the one that sounds most interesting t #1?
Which one are you interested in? I did say in some interviews after getting the "why Tax journal" that it was the only vaguely corporatey one and that seemed to go over ok. The journal is about as low effort as it gets. People on main and like international are astounded at how little work i do. I also don't read the article beyond my section anyway so it's not like I'm bored to tears reading tax articles. The one downside is that you have to write your note about tax (or at least your note has to have a tax issue in it) but that was also not that bad tbh but I hate academic writing pretty much no matter what so probably wouldn't have been too happy writing any note. Tax the class is pretty interesting actually and you have to take that too but tbh I would recommend it anyway it teaches you a lot about your own taxes.

You'll be able to come up with a satisfactory answer for OCI to why whatever secondary journal. I did get a couple interviewers that had been on tax but I'm sure you get that with other journals too and it added nothing to the interview other than that like 5 second revelation. There's really only any actual value to being on main, otherwise I would plan based on effort output first and interest second. Frankly the only benefit to being on a secondary journal is that you just don't have to explain why you decided not to be on a journal in interviews but I'm sure that's also not that hard to do well. If you plan on running for the e board or anything maybe interest would be more important than effort but otherwise low effort journals are the way to go.

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:27 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Which one are you interested in? I did say in some interviews after getting the "why Tax journal" that it was the only vaguely corporatey one and that seemed to go over ok. The journal is about as low effort as it gets. People on main and like international are astounded at how little work i do. I also don't read the article beyond my section anyway so it's not like I'm bored to tears reading tax articles. The one downside is that you have to write your note about tax (or at least your note has to have a tax issue in it) but that was also not that bad tbh but I hate academic writing pretty much no matter what so probably wouldn't have been too happy writing any note. Tax the class is pretty interesting actually and you have to take that too but tbh I would recommend it anyway it teaches you a lot about your own taxes.

You'll be able to come up with a satisfactory answer for OCI to why whatever secondary journal. I did get a couple interviewers that had been on tax but I'm sure you get that with other journals too and it added nothing to the interview other than that like 5 second revelation. There's really only any actual value to being on main, otherwise I would plan based on effort output first and interest second. Frankly the only benefit to being on a secondary journal is that you just don't have to explain why you decided not to be on a journal in interviews but I'm sure that's also not that hard to do well. If you plan on running for the e board or anything maybe interest would be more important than effort but otherwise low effort journals are the way to go.
Thanks for this. I was thinking about JLPP originally but I think I'll give TTL a shot. I'm vaguely interested in corporate work & TTL sounds downright... tolerable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mbpats7

New

Post by mbpats7 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:47 am

Anyone think taking Evidence, Corps, and Criminal Law would be too much to handle in one semester? Does the answer change if I were on a journal?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:04 pm

mbpats7 wrote:Anyone think taking Evidence, Corps, and Criminal Law would be too much to handle in one semester? Does the answer change if I were on a journal?
No. Evidence and Corps are incredibly easy classes.

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Is the OTIP program for rising 2Ls or rising 3Ls? In other words, would it allow you to get an SA before OCI or is it something for people who struck out?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
mbpats7 wrote:Anyone think taking Evidence, Corps, and Criminal Law would be too much to handle in one semester? Does the answer change if I were on a journal?
No.
and no to the second question as well

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:46 pm

ball is life wrote:Is the OTIP program for rising 2Ls or rising 3Ls? In other words, would it allow you to get an SA before OCI or is it something for people who struck out?
no idea but they sent that shit to rising 3Ls as well, I thought it was a phishing attempt until OPICS followed up two days later

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:49 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:Thanks for this. I was thinking about JLPP originally but I think I'll give TTL a shot. I'm vaguely interested in corporate work & TTL sounds downright... tolerable.
however only JLPP will serve to convey you are a trump apologists to employers so that's something to consider

JK employers don't know that JLPP is the trump journal, better to just join the local chapter of the fascist federalist society

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:40 pm

Hand wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:Thanks for this. I was thinking about JLPP originally but I think I'll give TTL a shot. I'm vaguely interested in corporate work & TTL sounds downright... tolerable.
however only JLPP will serve to convey you are a trump apologists to employers so that's something to consider

JK employers don't know that JLPP is the trump journal, better to just join the local chapter of the fascist federalist society
Not sure if you're being sarcastic & it's flying over my head, but the most compelling anti-Trump arguments that I've heard have consistently come from scholars with a libertarian/conservative bend. And it's hard to imagine that Trump's "Bizarro Bernie Sanders" brand of populism & executive power grabs are palatable to those who spend their days debating the finer points of natural law theory.

But tbh I really don't know anything about JLPP; maybe it is the Trump journal? In any case, TTL it is.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Can a current student please speak to their experience of commuting via metrorail during 1L?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:22 pm

lula43 wrote:Can a current student please speak to their experience of commuting via metrorail during 1L?
From where

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:57 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
lula43 wrote:Can a current student please speak to their experience of commuting via metrorail during 1L?
From where
Hyattsville.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:21 pm

lula43 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
From where
Hyattsville.
You'd be paying probably $150+/mo on the metro, how much are you saving on rent by being out there? A ~45~ minute commute isn't going to be the worst thing in the world, but it's kind of pushing the limit of tolerable IMO. It definitely won't be a problem for getting to class/academically but could be an issue if you're worried about being social or plan on being on campus late a lot.

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
lula43 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
From where
Hyattsville.
You'd be paying probably $150+/mo on the metro, how much are you saving on rent by being out there? A ~45~ minute commute isn't going to be the worst thing in the world, but it's kind of pushing the limit of tolerable IMO. It definitely won't be a problem for getting to class/academically but could be an issue if you're worried about being social or plan on being on campus late a lot.
Are students often on campus for social events after 11 pm? I would have to leave to get back on the train around 11:45 (I understand this may not be the safest option). Additionally, I will have my car at my apartment. Georgetown's website says the fee for parking is $8.40 a day. I could drive on days that I know I anticipate being there late. Do you think that is practical? Alternatively, I'm thinking of going home and grabbing my car for the evenings I will be on campus late, time permitting, since parking is *free* after 5 pm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”