GULC Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Don't go to Georgetown at full loans for any reason that's like the whole point of this entire website right

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:41 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Don't go to Georgetown at full loans for any reason that's like the whole point of this entire website right

It's crazy that people are still implicitly encouraging/tacitly agreeing to this, especially in today's climate. Even if it means going to a lower ranked school for free, that's much better than taking on $300k+ of non-dischargeable debt
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Platinum

Postby Gray » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:44 pm

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Don't go to Georgetown at full loans for any reason that's like the whole point of this entire website right

+1000000000000

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

de minimis

New

Postby de minimis » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:32 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:If you had to draw, like, a radius around Georgetown (both campuses, though primarily GULC -- I'd be doing a dual-degree), what neighborhoods are the farthest reasonable distance to commute via Metro and/or bus? I've never lived in DC, but I know the traffic is supposed to be awful, so the way everything looks so close together on the map is probably deceiving. My SO and I are going to be looking for apartments, and it's likely we won't have a car. Even if they get a car for work, I want to be able to get back and forth between campus and home without worrying about driving and parking.

Dupont is probably your best bet. Red line to GULC and there's a school provided bus to main campus. Most other neighborhoods with metro access will be fine for GULC, but you'll need a bus to main campus so that is your limiting factor. Anywhere along the circulator route will also work pretty easily.

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:40 pm

I have a cat so Gerwiz is not an option for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for apartment buildings within walking distance? Where do most GULC students live?
I'm looking at 425 Mass but it's definitely on the higher end of my budget!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:13 pm

People on this forum are weirdly adverse to commuting. Law school is not so demanding on your time (like Big Law probably is) that commuting will make or break your quality of life. Living anywhere in the city or nearby suburbs is fine, especially on the red line. I live at the stadium armory metro station (Hill East neighborhood) and its a fine commute, 45 minute walk when its nice, 25-35 minutes by bus or metro. My neighborhood is a lot cheaper than the area around GULC and I like the quality of life (close to Eastern Market/close to H street). Another cheaper good QOL commutable neighborhood is Takoma.

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:49 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:People on this forum are weirdly adverse to commuting. Law school is not so demanding on your time (like Big Law probably is) that commuting will make or break your quality of life. Living anywhere in the city or nearby suburbs is fine, especially on the red line. I live at the stadium armory metro station (Hill East neighborhood) and its a fine commute, 45 minute walk when its nice, 25-35 minutes by bus or metro. My neighborhood is a lot cheaper than the area around GULC and I like the quality of life (close to Eastern Market/close to H street). Another cheaper good QOL commutable neighborhood is Takoma.

It's not me that doesn't like commuting, it's my parents. They want me to be as close to gulc as possible. I mean, I'm their only child and I'll be on the otherside of the country so it's expected.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:People on this forum are weirdly adverse to commuting. Law school is not so demanding on your time (like Big Law probably is) that commuting will make or break your quality of life. Living anywhere in the city or nearby suburbs is fine, especially on the red line. I live at the stadium armory metro station (Hill East neighborhood) and its a fine commute, 45 minute walk when its nice, 25-35 minutes by bus or metro. My neighborhood is a lot cheaper than the area around GULC and I like the quality of life (close to Eastern Market/close to H street). Another cheaper good QOL commutable neighborhood is Takoma.

It's not me that doesn't like commuting, it's my parents. They want me to be as close to gulc as possible. I mean, I'm their only child and I'll be on the otherside of the country so it's expected.

I don't know where to begin with this one

What the hell do they think will happen 20 minutes from GULC that won't happen 5 minutes from GULC. Also the area right around GULC is way more sketch por lo general than the areas 5-10 minutes further out by metro.

Also are you not an adult who can make big-boy/big-girl decisions yourself

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:

I don't know where to begin with this one

What the hell do they think will happen 20 minutes from GULC that won't happen 5 minutes from GULC. Also the area right around GULC is way more sketch por lo general than the areas 5-10 minutes further out by metro.

Also are you not an adult who can make big-boy/big-girl decisions yourself

No need to be rude here, I'm only looking for advice...
But to answer your question, nope.I also am not interested in giving them an anxiety attack every time I leave to commute to school for 20 minutes especially when they are footing the bill. But seeing as no one here has any intention of helping me out I'll just see the buildings for myself when I fly out there.

With any luck I won't run into the likes of lovely people such as yourself because.... yikes.

usn26

Silver

Postby usn26 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:37 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:No need to be rude here, I'm only looking for advice...
But to answer your question, nope.I also am not interested in giving them an anxiety attack every time I leave to commute to school for 20 minutes especially when they are footing the bill. But seeing as no one here has any intention of helping me out I'll just see the buildings for myself when I fly out there.

With any luck I won't run into the likes of lovely people such as yourself because.... yikes.

Bless your soul. Plenty of people here willing to give you good info, but if you're gonna softball it in like that I don't know what you expect. 77H and Mass Court are among the closest options. Others probably can suggest more close-ish options. But there was a stabbing(?) across the street last year, and at least one mugging of a student on his way back to an apartment like 4 blocks from school. People aren't blowing smoke suggesting commuting from a nicer area. If your parents are paying for housing then I guess it's perfectly fair to base your choice on their preferences, however irrational. That said, professional school might be the time for them to adapt to the reality of you navigating a major metro as an adult.

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:23 pm

usn26 wrote:

Bless your soul. Plenty of people here willing to give you good info, but if you're gonna softball it in like that I don't know what you expect. 77H and Mass Court are among the closest options. Others probably can suggest more close-ish options. But there was a stabbing(?) across the street last year, and at least one mugging of a student on his way back to an apartment like 4 blocks from school. People aren't blowing smoke suggesting commuting from a nicer area. If your parents are paying for housing then I guess it's perfectly fair to base your choice on their preferences, however irrational. That said, professional school might be the time for them to adapt to the reality of you navigating a major metro as an adult.

Im not very into getting mugged and stabbed so thanks for the info. Is there a specific area that gulc students like to live in DC? Or are people who don't live on campus kind of dispersed? Do most students live on campus in general? Sorry for all the questions I've never been to DC and if there is a place where students tend to live in i'd like to check it out when I visit.

Also you mentioned the metro, does everyone use it like New York?

usn26

Silver

Postby usn26 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:34 pm

Motionsinlemons wrote:Im not very into getting mugged and stabbed so thanks for the info. Is there a specific area that gulc students like to live in DC? Or are people who don't live on campus kind of dispersed? Do most students live on campus in general? Sorry for all the questions I've never been to DC and if there is a place where students tend to live in i'd like to check it out when I visit.

Just to be clear, it's not like GULC is in the worst part of town. But there are definitely nicer areas, and you simply can't avoid all "danger." It's a big city.

Relatively few people live on campus - Gewirz is a decent sized grouping but definitely in the minority. People live all over, including in VA and MD. This list probably has most of the most common/popular ones, but I'm sure there are others.

As for the metro, I don't really know how to anwer that. It's a decent subway, and a lot of people use it to commute if it makes sense for them. It's usually pretty busy but rarely insanely so in my experience.

Motionsinlemons

New

Postby Motionsinlemons » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:38 pm

usn26 wrote:
Motionsinlemons wrote:Im not very into getting mugged and stabbed so thanks for the info. Is there a specific area that gulc students like to live in DC? Or are people who don't live on campus kind of dispersed? Do most students live on campus in general? Sorry for all the questions I've never been to DC and if there is a place where students tend to live in i'd like to check it out when I visit.

Just to be clear, it's not like GULC is in the worst part of town. But there are definitely nicer areas, and you simply can't avoid all "danger." It's a big city.

Relatively few people live on campus - Gewirz is a decent sized grouping but definitely in the minority. People live all over, including in VA and MD. This list probably has most of the most common/popular ones, but I'm sure there are others.

I lived in east LA for undergrad so if it's not all that bad I think I can handle it? Thanks for the info! I'll check out the link.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Postby BmoreOrLess » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:18 pm

usn26 wrote:

Don't forget the person who was shot in Mass Court in December, or the shooting outside of Mass Court a few Halloweens ago.

ladybug1989

New

Postby ladybug1989 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:05 am

Taking a paper class this semester. Professor said for 2L's it's due as late as the Registrars office permits (3L's its much sooner). Does anyone know when that might be?

EzraFitz

Silver

Postby EzraFitz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 am

ladybug1989 wrote:Taking a paper class this semester. Professor said for 2L's it's due as late as the Registrars office permits (3L's its much sooner). Does anyone know when that might be?

May Graduates' Papers Due (unless an earlier due date set by the professor)
Monday, May 1, 2017 by 5:00 P.M.

All papers due (unless other due date set by the professor)
Tuesday, May 16, 2017 by 5:00 P.M.

usn26

Silver

Postby usn26 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:34 pm

EzraFitz wrote:
ladybug1989 wrote:Taking a paper class this semester. Professor said for 2L's it's due as late as the Registrars office permits (3L's its much sooner). Does anyone know when that might be?

May Graduates' Papers Due (unless an earlier due date set by the professor)
Monday, May 1, 2017 by 5:00 P.M.

All papers due (unless other due date set by the professor)
Tuesday, May 16, 2017 by 5:00 P.M.

For reference, my fall paper was extended to the last day permitted by the registrar, which was 15 January. Papers were otherwise due 16 December. So it's a decent bet that you'll be able to submit until 15 June, although just because you can doesn't mean you should let that paper bleed into your summer.
Last edited by usn26 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Postby BmoreOrLess » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:48 pm

Also, you'll have a rough draft due during finals, which is really the bulk of the writing.

Gray

Platinum

Postby Gray » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:23 pm

EzraFitz

Silver

Postby EzraFitz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:51 am

The latest extension date is June 12 btw.

Bronze

Postby 20171203 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Postby Hand » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:03 pm

thelincolnlawyer wrote:Does anyone have any anecdotal experience working with a state agency, specifically DC? Just received an offer out of PSRP and want to make sure I do my due diligence before accepting

I've heard good things about the DC Office of Human Rights, but don't remember specifics. They definitely do cool work.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Postby call-me-bubbles » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:48 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?