GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Glasseyes

Silver

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by Glasseyes » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Random pro tip for the writing requirement: don't be an idiot like me and drag out your WR until your final semester as a 3L. "Why?" you ask. Nobody tells you in advance (certainly not my sworn enemy Denise), but all graduating 3L's have to turn in their final papers by May 1st. That's two and a half weeks earlier than all of my (multiple) final papers are supposed to be due, including the WR monstrosity, meaning my 2L classmates get an absurd advantage and I get a figurative kick in the nuts. Plan accordingly.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:27 am

Glasseyes wrote: (certainly not my sworn enemy Denise)
Deniiiiiiiiiiiise

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:28 am

i did PR last semester and WR this semester and have saved all my pass/fail i'm ready for a full on 3LOL

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Gray wrote:
cth77 wrote:Is there any value - mainly for big law employment prospects, or even just generally - in being a law fellow? It seems like a huge time commitment, and I am trying to figure out if it is something worth applying for.
IDK I think it's worth it. Definitely improves writing skills, and you develop a very close relationship with the professor. I've heard it's basically 5 credits of guaranteed A, but that has yet to be confirmed.
^ note that this poster shares daily reminders of why it sucks to be a law fellow on FB

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:i did PR last semester and WR this semester and have saved all my pass/fail i'm ready for a full on 3LOL
This is the way to do it.

Another pro tip some of my classmates were unaware of: you can only use p/f once per semester and not all classes allow it. Make sure you have a nasty 4 cred doctrinal to burn.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 pm

Has anyone worked for at a firm other than their summer firm during 3L? Wondering what the timeline for picking up some random small/midlaw part time gig would be and working throughout 3L. I've seen some posts on Symplicity in the past seeking this but I assume it's not that common.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:19 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:My heart's been set on DC and Georgetown for a while, but my cycle's gone way better than I ever expected it to go. Would it be dumb to pass up UChi for Georgetown, or can anyone think of a situation where it would make sense/be defensible to do so? Interested mainly in public interest as well as immigration and child advocacy, and hoping to work abroad someday (though not necessarily practicing law abroad, because I know that can be tricky), as my spouse is European. Accepted to Georgetown's JD/MAGES program with scholarships for both, accepted at Chicago (top choice otherwise) and currently waiting on finaid info.
If you had a full ride to GULC and nothing from Chi, I would consider GULC. Chi opens the doors to higher-end outcomes if you end up going that way (nice clerkships, more competitive biglaw/boutique firms) that, while not closed to GULC, are generally reserved to only the most exceptional/lucky.

I'd do Chi in a heartbeat - you can get back to DC for law firm, public interest, or fedgov work with a Chi degree (probably even easier than with a GULC degree!). You will thank yourself during the pot-1L job hunt for choosing the better school.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:31 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
call-me-bubbles wrote:My heart's been set on DC and Georgetown for a while, but my cycle's gone way better than I ever expected it to go. Would it be dumb to pass up UChi for Georgetown, or can anyone think of a situation where it would make sense/be defensible to do so? Interested mainly in public interest as well as immigration and child advocacy, and hoping to work abroad someday (though not necessarily practicing law abroad, because I know that can be tricky), as my spouse is European. Accepted to Georgetown's JD/MAGES program with scholarships for both, accepted at Chicago (top choice otherwise) and currently waiting on finaid info.
If you had a full ride to GULC and nothing from Chi, I would consider GULC. Chi opens the doors to higher-end outcomes if you end up going that way (nice clerkships, more competitive biglaw/boutique firms) that, while not closed to GULC, are generally reserved to only the most exceptional/lucky.

I'd do Chi in a heartbeat - you can get back to DC for law firm, public interest, or fedgov work with a Chi degree (probably even easier than with a GULC degree!). You will thank yourself during the pot-1L job hunt for choosing the better school.
FWIW, I'm pursuing a public interest career and turned down Chicago with a decent scholarship for a near-full ride at GULC but doubt that I would have made the same decision if it weren't for my spouse's job, which tied us to DC. If you are not otherwise committed to being in DC, and the difference in cost of attendance is not huge, I really see no reason at all to go to GULC over Chicago (or any similar ranked school).

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:09 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't know enough about PI hiring to give any deep insight there, but I'd be pretty leery of going anywhere at sticker price. LRAP and loan forgiveness might cover you if you're 100% committed to PI... provided those programs still exist in the fall, which isn't certain under our newly anti-elite, anti-education administration. I'd wait and see how much aid you get from Chi before getting too set on anything. Also worth considering other opportunities between Chi and GULC. For PI, something like NYU with a scholarship might be a safer bet than Chi at sticker.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:i did PR last semester and WR this semester and have saved all my pass/fail i'm ready for a full on 3LOL
Just make sure you don't fall into the trap others do by thinking you can use them all the last semester. They only let you p/f one class a semester.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 am

GULCsect7 wrote:Evening student (Section 7). Just started my third year.
Load question - but was the evening program academically comparable to the day time program? Do you have the same job prospects as someone in the day time program? How competitive is admissions to the evening program? Can you finish in 3.5 years or strictly four?

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 pm

I noticed that EIW is Aug 7-10 at the Hyatt. I also noticed that EIW Orientation is on Aug 4 at 6pm. I'm wondering: are we staying in the hotel starting on the 4th, or are we supposed to make other arrangements from the 4th through the 6th? Asking because I'm subletting my DC apartment throughout August...

Also what exactly does the Orientation consist of?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:33 pm

I noticed that EIW is Aug 7-10 at the Hyatt. I also noticed that EIW Orientation is on Aug 4 at 6pm. I'm wondering: are we staying in the hotel starting on the 4th, or are we supposed to make other arrangements from the 4th through the 6th? Asking because I'm subletting my DC apartment throughout August...

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:I noticed that EIW is Aug 7-10 at the Hyatt. I also noticed that EIW Orientation is on Aug 4 at 6pm. I'm wondering: are we staying in the hotel starting on the 4th, or are we supposed to make other arrangements from the 4th through the 6th? Asking because I'm subletting my DC apartment throughout August...

you are not staying in the hotel, the interviews are in hotel rooms. if you need a hotel room you should book it now. It could make EIW enormously less stressful, or more stressful, to be staying in the hotel depending on how you react to having incredibly convenient and low stress environment close by vs. having no escape the whole time from the Hyatt

orientation consists of explaining how EIW works

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:I noticed that EIW is Aug 7-10 at the Hyatt. I also noticed that EIW Orientation is on Aug 4 at 6pm. I'm wondering: are we staying in the hotel starting on the 4th, or are we supposed to make other arrangements from the 4th through the 6th? Asking because I'm subletting my DC apartment throughout August...
You just have to figure something out. I stayed in Alexandria and after watching people who stayed in the Hyatt, I'd say stay in the Hyatt. (unless it'll freak you out, see previous post)

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi all! I'm planning to visit Georgetown sometime in April and was wondering if you had any suggestions for professors & which classes to sit in on. There are a lot of really fascinating classes available, but I'd love to hear what you all suggest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:13 pm

chamyleon wrote:Hi all! I'm planning to visit Georgetown sometime in April and was wondering if you had any suggestions for professors & which classes to sit in on. There are a lot of really fascinating classes available, but I'd love to hear what you all suggest.
What options did they give you?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
GULCsect7 wrote:Evening student (Section 7). Just started my third year.
Load question - but was the evening program academically comparable to the day time program? Do you have the same job prospects as someone in the day time program? How competitive is admissions to the evening program? Can you finish in 3.5 years or strictly four?
Section 7 grad here. It's equal to full-time in terms of job prospects. Yes you can finish on 3.5 years but you have to do Summers and full part time class loads all semesters

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:30 pm

chamyleon wrote:Hi all! I'm planning to visit Georgetown sometime in April and was wondering if you had any suggestions for professors & which classes to sit in on. There are a lot of really fascinating classes available, but I'd love to hear what you all suggest.
If you'll be around on a Wednesday, the Technology Colloquium: Edge Technologies seminar series has been excellent, and they're all self-contained classes with a different guest lecturer every week. It's also open to the larger student body and designed so you can follow along without doing any reading. Bonus: it's surprisingly fun watching Laura Donohue annihilate her guests on anything 4th Amendment or national security related.

Other than that, you might want to sit in on a traditional doctrinal like crim or torts to get a feel for how 1L classes roll.

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:26 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:

you are not staying in the hotel, the interviews are in hotel rooms. if you need a hotel room you should book it now. It could make EIW enormously less stressful, or more stressful, to be staying in the hotel depending on how you react to having incredibly convenient and low stress environment close by vs. having no escape the whole time from the Hyatt

orientation consists of explaining how EIW works
Another dumb question: would it make sense to book a room now on the assumption that I will be interviewing every day through Aug 10th? Or do some people only have interviews scheduled for, say, the first two days out of the four?

Looks like if I book now from Aug 4-11, that'd be >$1300 if I stayed in the Hyatt. Yikes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”