GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
carsondalywashere

Silver

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:51 pm

Has anyone taken Victoria Nourse for legislation? Thinking about taking it with her at NU

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 pm

Anyone have a solid curve sheet that's updated regularly and has most classes?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:20 pm

ladybug1989 wrote:Anyone have a solid curve sheet that's updated regularly and has most classes?
ask your friends on the tax lawyer or main journal
Last edited by Hand on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Is there anyone here who can shed some light on Rostain's "build apps for the poor" seminar? Would I be a fool if I'm signing up for this?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Hand wrote:Is there anyone here who can shed some light on Rostain's "build apps for the poor" seminar? Would I be a fool if I'm signing up for this?
As of last year (graduated 2017), it has a reputation as an easy A. Also have heard from people who have done it that it's a lot of fun, even if you're not necessarily tech-savy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Hand wrote:Is there anyone here who can shed some light on Rostain's "build apps for the poor" seminar? Would I be a fool if I'm signing up for this?
I helped design the class as her TA for a couple years (so this might color my opinion somewhat). It's pretty easy and fun but was subject to change from year to year as she refined how she wanted to run it. Some iterations had "homework" which was a little irritating.

It is WAY simpler than it sounds overall.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:50 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
I helped design the class as her TA for a couple years (so this might color my opinion somewhat). It's pretty easy and fun but was subject to change from year to year as she refined how she wanted to run it. Some iterations had "homework" which was a little irritating.

It is WAY simpler than it sounds overall.
Mr. Blackacre wrote:As of last year (graduated 2017), it has a reputation as an easy A. Also have heard from people who have done it that it's a lot of fun, even if you're not necessarily tech-savy.
Thanks both, this is helpful. "Easy and fun" and "easy A" sound like just the sort of thing that I'm looking for for my last semester.

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:19 am

Dumb question: does the 10 credits-per-semester minimum apply even if it's 3L Spring and you only need, say, 8 or 9 more credits to graduate?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 am

ChristineBaskets wrote:Dumb question: does the 10 credits-per-semester minimum apply even if it's 3L Spring and you only need, say, 8 or 9 more credits to graduate?
Yeah I’m pretty sure those 10 credits are necessary to count as a full time student

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:14 am

Hand wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:Dumb question: does the 10 credits-per-semester minimum apply even if it's 3L Spring and you only need, say, 8 or 9 more credits to graduate?
Yeah I’m pretty sure those 10 credits are necessary to count as a full time student
Yeah but that's a pretty meaningless distinction, isn't it? You'd still get financial aid and I doubt they'd force you to take another credit. Would they pull your scholarship for not wanting to take more credits than you need?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:18 am

usn26 wrote:
Hand wrote:
Yeah but that's a pretty meaningless distinction, isn't it? You'd still get financial aid and I doubt they'd force you to take another credit. Would they pull your scholarship for not wanting to take more credits than you need?
there may be DepEd or ABA requirements at play here, but I am not going to put in the work to figure out if that's the case

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 am

PSA for current 1Ls and 2Ls: use up some of your P/F credits in your second year. You may find yourself without the opportunity to use 'm all in your last year thanks to scheduling reasons / wanting to take something useful / clinic / etc., especially since you can only take one class P/F per semester

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 am

Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:
usn26 wrote:
Hand wrote:
there may be DepEd or ABA requirements at play here, but I am not going to put in the work to figure out if that's the case
I know someone who got special permission to only take 9 credits 3L spring. It's doable.
Is this person you?
Do you know yourself, Gray?
Do you really?
Does anyone?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:00 am

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Hand wrote:PSA for current 1Ls and 2Ls: use up some of your P/F credits in your second year. You may find yourself without the opportunity to use 'm all in your last year thanks to scheduling reasons / wanting to take something useful / clinic / etc., especially since you can only take one class P/F per semester
or, on the other hand, if your whole goal in law school is to do as little as possible when your motivation will be the lowest, don't do this and then schedule around your p/f credits

missie

New

Post by missie » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 am

Has anyone taken the Small Business Law and Entrepreneurship Seminar? What is the paper requirement like for a 2 credit seminar?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 pm

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:52 pm

missie wrote:Has anyone taken the Small Business Law and Entrepreneurship Seminar? What is the paper requirement like for a 2 credit seminar?
Bellamy? You have to write a business plan or on any business topic you choose (everyone does the business plan).

Lawstudent3692

New

Post by Lawstudent3692 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi! I'm a 1l at GULC, and have an interview from a summer internship at a biglaw firm in NYC (not diversity fellowship). I got the interview through a contact with my old job and I sent my resume over without any cover letter and they set up an interview. Wondering if this is any indication for likelihood of getting the position? Is an interview just standard procedure for everyone who sends in a resume? Totally new to this.

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Has anyone taken the seminars:

Ethics in International Arbitration w/Prof Mark Kantor
Public Health and International Investment Law w/Prof Justin Jacinto

And if so, can someone speak to the level of work required or whether I'd be screwed going in blind (with no prior understanding of these subjects)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jb1234

New

Post by Jb1234 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Had a question. A guy says he's a Chicago firefighter. Has all the inside knowledge of one. Says he can get someone in for 5,000. Half up front half upon receiving the letter of acceptance. I gave him half. No letter. He wants the other half. What can I do?

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:25 pm

Jb1234 wrote:Had a question. A guy says he's a Chicago firefighter. Has all the inside knowledge of one. Says he can get someone in for 5,000. Half up front half upon receiving the letter of acceptance. I gave him half. No letter. He wants the other half. What can I do?

Retake.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am

Lawstudent3692 wrote:Hi! I'm a 1l at GULC, and have an interview from a summer internship at a biglaw firm in NYC (not diversity fellowship). I got the interview through a contact with my old job and I sent my resume over without any cover letter and they set up an interview. Wondering if this is any indication for likelihood of getting the position? Is an interview just standard procedure for everyone who sends in a resume? Totally new to this.
no interviews are not standard but no this is not an indication of likelihood, it's an indication that you got an interview and are at the interview stage

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Lawstudent3692 wrote:Hi! I'm a 1l at GULC, and have an interview from a summer internship at a biglaw firm in NYC (not diversity fellowship). I got the interview through a contact with my old job and I sent my resume over without any cover letter and they set up an interview. Wondering if this is any indication for likelihood of getting the position? Is an interview just standard procedure for everyone who sends in a resume? Totally new to this.
no interviews are not standard but no this is not an indication of likelihood, it's an indication that you got an interview and are at the interview stage
well the person who gets an interview is obviously more likely to get a job than the person who doesn't but either way OP just post in the jobs forum and make a thread about the specific firm if you want some anecdata since the hiring process will presumably be firm-specific not GULC-specific

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”