Interested in JAG, but want to know more, can anyone help?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lillawyer2

Interested in JAG, but want to know more, can anyone help?

Postby lillawyer2 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:51 am

I'm planning on retaking to get into a better school.
I have the GPA to get me into a T-14, so why not just try again considering the strong advantages.
This time I will take the test when I'm ready and not to meet a deadline.

I'm currently working full time at a really good job.
I have time to study and think about potential career options.
JAG is one of them and if I decide that I am very serious about it, I would like to better my chances of achieving said goal.

On the surface level, as in, after doing minimal research, I am interested in the criminal and operations area of practice.

Can anyone give me some insight?

What schools should I look into to maximize my chances?

I know Georgetown Law School would probably be a great option.
However, I am interested in attending several other T-14's, such as NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Cornell and Stanford.

Is it necessary or greatly recommended that I have some sort of military experience?

I did see some JAG profiles where law school was their initial plan and JAG came later, in the midst of military->JAG.
I have to be on active deployment for 4 years anyway, so am I naive to assume, its not necessarily that advantageous to have prior experience.

Can one become a JAG right after law school/bar?
Based on what I've read, I am thinking yes.

Can anyone tell me all about JAG?

the good
the bad
the ugly

Indifference

Re: Interested in JAG, but want to know more, can anyone help?

Postby Indifference » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:05 am

lillawyer2 wrote:I'm planning on retaking to get into a better school.
I have the GPA to get me into a T-14, so why not just try again considering the strong advantages.
This time I will take the test when I'm ready and not to meet a deadline.

I'm currently working full time at a really good job.
I have time to study and think about potential career options.
JAG is one of them and if I decide that I am very serious about it, I would like to better my chances of achieving said goal.

On the surface level, as in, after doing minimal research, I am interested in the criminal and operations area of practice.

Can anyone give me some insight?

What schools should I look into to maximize my chances?

I know Georgetown Law School would probably be a great option.
However, I am interested in attending several other T-14's, such as NYU, Columbia, Harvard, Cornell and Stanford.

Is it necessary or greatly recommended that I have some sort of military experience?

I did see some JAG profiles where law school was their initial plan and JAG came later, in the midst of military->JAG.
I have to be on active deployment for 4 years anyway, so am I naive to assume, its not necessarily that advantageous to have prior experience.

Can one become a JAG right after law school/bar?
Based on what I've read, I am thinking yes.

Can anyone tell me all about JAG?

the good
the bad
the ugly

JAG in its various forms has been discussed widely on these forums. Try a quick forum search.

To get you started, here is a thread on NAVY JAG

And here is a thread on military law in general.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”