A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SFSpartan

Re: Is the infamous cold call really that bad?

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:44 pm

whats an updog wrote: because listening to other people who don't know what they're talking about just wastes everyone's time.

Did you have any 1L classes that relied exclusively on volunteer participation? IME that was far, far, worse than cold calling for the above because the (generally incorrect) gunners would be jumping over themselves to participate...

whats an updog

Re: Is the infamous cold call really that bad?

Postby whats an updog » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:27 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
whats an updog wrote: because listening to other people who don't know what they're talking about just wastes everyone's time.

Did you have any 1L classes that relied exclusively on volunteer participation? IME that was far, far, worse than cold calling for the above because the (generally incorrect) gunners would be jumping over themselves to participate...

I only had one 1L doctrinal class that occasionally used the volunteer format and it was much better than the other days (though it was our small section class and we had an unofficial internal 'don't ask stupid questions' rule). Had two elective classes that had a mix of 1/2/3Ls where it was exclusively volunteer based, and those went really well. Those professors were good at keeping things focused and cutting bullshit short though. Maybe I just got lucky.

I did have one doctrinal class where the professor didn't want to do office hours so he invited as many questions as possible and did not try to rein things in at all. That was a shit show.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”