Benefits of MS (Finance or Personal Finance) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
0Ale

New

Benefits of MS (Finance or Personal Finance)

Post by 0Ale » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to these boards, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I'll be applying to law school this fall or the year after and plan to work in a smaller city where I have some connections after graduation. My question is in regard to the value of a masters degree (specifically finance or personal finance) when it comes to working on trusts, estates, real estate, etc. Will it help at all in A) finding employment or B) recruitment and retention of clients?

I may wind up taking some/all of the courses for the degree out of interest and the potential to use it on the side later on, if nothing else. Just curious as to the value it could add to my law degree in the future.

Thanks for your guidance!

chingwoo

Bronze

Re: Benefits of MS (Finance or Personal Finance)

Post by chingwoo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Why not take the CFA exams instead? Apparently you can use some lawyer we for CFA. Cheaper + more lay prestige.

0Ale

New

Re: Benefits of MS (Finance or Personal Finance)

Post by 0Ale » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't seen the CFA program/designation before. I'll be looking into it and give it some consideration.

That said, after a quick glance it seems it could be beneficial, but is something that it would be easier for me to obtain after going to law school (using the WE you mentioned). It also seems to focus heavily on the investment side of things whereas, say, a personal finance degree covers a variety of topics. Would the CFA be as applicable if I was looking at multiple types of law?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”