Corporate background?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Sup.fam

Corporate background?

Postby Sup.fam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:46 pm

Is any sort of background necessary to pursue corporate/transactional legal work? As a 0L thinking of pursuing a transactional-focused JD, I'm worried that future employers would be critical of my liberal arts degree in college and lack of serious financial or accounting position before law school. I'm more interested in M&A and capital markets than lit, and curious on how a lack of financial background would affect OCI. It's probably way too early to be thinking about this but any experiences or insight would be incredibly helpful

Re: Corporate background?

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:49 pm

it would be nice but not necessary. gain as much transactional experience in law school as possible and demonstrate knowledge/legitimate interest and you should be fine. where are you going to school?

Sup.fam

Postby Sup.fam » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:51 pm

Starting at Penn in the fall

Postby 071816 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:56 pm

Sup.fam wrote:Starting at Penn in the fall

you should be fine. employers recognize that transactional experience in law school isn't very easy to come by and not everyone that goes into a corporate transactional practice has prior experience in the area (in fact, most probably don't). if i were you I'd try to land a transactional-focused 1L summer gig, but I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that you've never had a "serious financial or accounting position."

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”