LS bookbags and such, which type did you buy?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blueberrypie

LS bookbags and such, which type did you buy?

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:12 pm

I do not like carrying heavy stuff on my back or shoulder, so I was thinking about a wheeled laptopcase/briefcase bag, but I thought i'd make me look like a 3rd grader. Especially since it comes in bright colors.

http://mckleinusa.com/catalog/partlist. ... egoryID=36

What do you guys think? A little too much or just fine. I'm assuming law textbooks are heavy especially including a laptop.

Kinky John

Re: LS bookbags and such, which type did you buy?

Postby Kinky John » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:16 pm

lol please tell me you're a troll

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Kinky John wrote:lol please tell me you're a troll

What about my op made you get trollish vibes?

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:17 pm

0L here. I don't even own a backpack right now haha, but my boyfriend has several so I'm going to borrow one. It's pretty big and will fit several textbooks plus a small laptop

Kinky John

Postby Kinky John » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:

Would you take anyone who was considering a wheelie backpack/briefcase seriously?

Just get a comfortable backpack

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:22 pm

fisheatbananas wrote:0L here. I don't even own a backpack right now haha, but my boyfriend has several so I'm going to borrow one. It's pretty big and will fit several textbooks plus a small laptop

I don't own one either! So I'm scrambling to buy one. Okay, well I do have one that I haven't touched in 4 years, but it looks so childish and its also a crossbody and I feel it would be killer on my shoulders with all the equipment, I'd be carrying.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:31 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:

Would you take anyone who was considering a wheelie backpack/briefcase seriously?

How could one be comfortable, if it is killer on the back and shoulders. I don't want to develop back problems lugging a shitload of stuff from my house on the train and walking to the school its a bbit much

Postby 071816 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:51 pm

chimp wrote:Image

I would sacrifice my back and wellbeing for that.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:10 pm

No wheels. You'll have less time for the gym during 1L, so do curls with your backpack while you're walking to class.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:14 pm

We definitely had a rolly backpack girl this past year, but tbf she was an old. Do remember that you should have lockers.

artistar

Postby artistar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:31 pm

I made fun of this young guy at my work for having a rolly bag, and then he told me about his accident and his herniated disks and I felt like a bad, terrible person. :oops:

FuturePanhandler

Postby FuturePanhandler » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:08 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
fisheatbananas wrote:0L here. I don't even own a backpack right now haha, but my boyfriend has several so I'm going to borrow one. It's pretty big and will fit several textbooks plus a small laptop

I don't own one either! So I'm scrambling to buy one. Okay, well I do have one that I haven't touched in 4 years, but it looks so childish and its also a crossbody and I feel it would be killer on my shoulders with all the equipment, I'd be carrying.

Better hurry! Two months is not much time to find a backpack!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:16 pm

For people who carried backpacks (a good portion at Northwestern), the North Face Surge seemed to be the standard. The unisex/men's model can fit a 15" laptop and 3 casebooks in a pinch (unless one of the casebooks is one of the extra huge ones) and the women's model is just slightly smaller. Mine is 3 years old and looks utterly brand-new, and I carried it every day and never used my locker, and it is my go-to airplane carryon as well. You can usually get last season's colors for around $100.

Ron Mexico

Postby Ron Mexico » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 pm

be a professional and buy a jansport

fisheatbananas

Postby fisheatbananas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:53 pm

Kinky John wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:

Haha. I didn't think this was a troll but I understand why you did.
In OP's defense it would suck to have back/neck/shoulder pain from your backpack though so in a way choosing the right backpack is very important...

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:25 am

Thanks you guys!! :)

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:27 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:31 pm

(A) there's nothing childish about using the right bag for the purpose.
(B) messenger bags are not suited for carrying a stack of several 2"-3" thick casebooks. They aren't wide enough.
(C) casebooks are heavy. Putting that weight on your back instead of on one shoulder is a good thing and your neck and back will thank you.

Postby 071816 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:33 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:(A) there's nothing childish about using the right bag for the purpose.
(B) messenger bags are not suited for carrying a stack of several 2"-3" thick casebooks. They aren't wide enough.
(C) casebooks are heavy. Putting that weight on your back instead of on one shoulder is a good thing and your neck and back will thank you.

in other words, purchase the chewbacca bag for ultimate style, comfort, and support.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:05 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:(A) there's nothing childish about using the right bag for the purpose.

Yes to everything you wrote.

Gosh, I wish my laptop wasn't so heavy. I'm thinking about getting a backpack just for the laptop and a tote for my books. I can leave some books in the locker probably so I wont have to always bring the tote.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:10 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:

Yes to everything you wrote.

Gosh, I wish my laptop wasn't so heavy. I'm thinking about getting a backpack just for the laptop and a tote for my books. I can leave some books in the locker probably so I wont have to always bring the tote.

I carried a 15" laptop basically the same size/weight as a 15" Mac Book Pro and honestly once your stuff is in a backpack, the weight is nbd; it's bulk you're concerned with (and even a big laptop is slim compared to a casebook).

Auxilio

Postby Auxilio » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:21 pm

I noticed when I was in Philadelphia last week that I saw almost no one on the campuses carrying messenger bags. Whereas at my university in Canada they vastly outnumber backpacks. Did I just get an odd sample that I saw or are messenger bags less common in the states? (or maybe Philadelphia specifically)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Auxilio wrote:I noticed when I was in Philadelphia last week that I saw almost no one on the campuses carrying messenger bags. Whereas at my university in Canada they vastly outnumber backpacks. Did I just get an odd sample that I saw or are messenger bags less common in the states? (or maybe Philadelphia specifically)

I would say at Northwestern, backpacks vastly outnumbered anything else among guys. Girls were split between backpacks and ungainly tote bags.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”