For law students who attend PT, are you able to do internships over the summer?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blueberrypie

For law students who attend PT, are you able to do internships over the summer?

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:10 am

I'm debating the value of going pt through LS, if I cannot participate in an internship.

I want to work over the summer as a law clerk (judicial clerk) and I'm naturally assuming all of those positions are in the day time.

:(

collegebum1989

Re: For law students who attend PT, are you able to do internships over the summer?

Postby collegebum1989 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 am

Depends on your current job and/or the one you plan to have while in the program. If you have a flexible position, you can intern in addition to your job (some of my classmates are doing that this summer). You can also take a leave of absence and pursue the summer internship but would need to discuss this with your employer.

Ultimately, your options will depend more to your job more than being a PT law student. At my school, PT students are just as competitive for summer positions if the grades are are on par to what is expected for FT students.

Blueberrypie

Re: For law students who attend PT, are you able to do internships over the summer?

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:33 am

collegebum1989 wrote:Depends on your current job and/or the one you plan to have while in the program. If you have a flexible position, you can intern in addition to your job (some of my classmates are doing that this summer). You can also take a leave of absence and pursue the summer internship but would need to discuss this with your employer.

Ultimately, your options will depend more to your job more than being a PT law student. At my school, PT students are just as competitive for summer positions if the grades are are on par to what is expected for FT students.

My plan is to and this already sounds off to me, but to save up all my vacation days and use them in one big lump. However, in my position, I'm lucrative to the department, well mostly the CFO and I don't know if he'd appreciate it.

How long do summer internships last? I wonder is some are evening as well?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:38 am

An internship is as long as you and the employer agree it is, though summer internships are typically around 10 weeks. The only ones I know of that aren't business hours are research assistantships with professors, which you can do whenever. However, I've known plenty of judges who were fine with part-time interns.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:45 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:An internship is as long as you and the employer agree it is, though summer internships are typically around 10 weeks. The only ones I know of that aren't business hours are research assistantships with professors, which you can do whenever. However, I've known plenty of judges who were fine with part-time interns.

Thanks! I'm wondering if judges would be down with me working nights some times. For instance, i'll do the research, memoranda, summarize cases etc from home and attend trials and work with the judge (face to face) on certain days maybe twice or once a week. I'll just have my vacation days saved up and use them for both Monday and Friday or Thursday and Friday which ever is easier for my employer.

totesTheGoat

Postby totesTheGoat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:47 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:I'm debating the value of going pt through LS, if I cannot participate in an internship.

I want to work over the summer as a law clerk (judicial clerk) and I'm naturally assuming all of those positions are in the day time.

:(

At some point you have to take the plunge and switch to a legal career. There are plenty of "while in law school" positions that you can do 30-40hrs a week at. Most of the time they're flexible enough to let you get legal experience over the summers.

That's exactly what I'm doing. My "day job" during the school year is at one law firm, and I'm doing two SAs over this summer before returning to my "day job" in the fall.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:An internship is as long as you and the employer agree it is, though summer internships are typically around 10 weeks. The only ones I know of that aren't business hours are research assistantships with professors, which you can do whenever. However, I've known plenty of judges who were fine with part-time interns.

Thanks! I'm wondering if judges would be down with me working nights some times. For instance, i'll do the research, memoranda, summarize cases etc from home and attend trials and work with the judge (face to face) on certain days maybe twice or once a week. I'll just have my vacation days saved up and use them for both Monday and Friday or Thursday and Friday which ever is easier for my employer.

For my school-year judicial externship, I just needed to be in court for motion hearings a couple of days a week. Other than that I was never in chambers and did all of my work on my own time. It depends a lot on the type of court and the judge.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”