UCLA Law Student Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LitttUp

UCLA Law Student Taking Questions

Postby LitttUp » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:58 pm

This site has been incredibly helpful for me. I've noticed that there wasn't as much LA-based information on this site when I was trying to make a decision on a school. Just trying to give back to the people.

*I'm a rising 2L.

nowyouscantleave

Re: UCLA Law Student Taking Questions

Postby nowyouscantleave » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:39 am

Thanks so much! I was hoping someone from UCLA would post soon!

I was just wondering if you could provide any UCLA-specific advice? I know there are a ton of articles on which supplements to use etc. but I would love to know what you recommend for the specific professors you had in each class.

Bruin Law

Postby Bruin Law » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:40 am

Also a rising 2L at UCLA. Big fan thus far. Can chime in if necessary.

flowering

Postby flowering » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:40 am

Last edited by flowering on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bruin Law

Postby Bruin Law » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:20 am

flowering wrote:How difficult is it to get a biglaw job from UCLA? Also, how perfect is the weather?

Haven't gone through OCI yet, but some even snagged 1L BL jobs. I think it's roughly ~30%, and some of that may be self selecting, bc UCLA has a strong public interest program.
If you want to work in SoCal, UCLA places well, and facilitates great networking opportunities.

LitttUp

Postby LitttUp » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:46 am

flowering wrote:How difficult is it to get a biglaw job from UCLA? Also, how perfect is the weather?

Many big firms interview at UCLA. It's (arguably) the best school in one of the biggest legal markets in the world. Firms respect it, and many partners have ties to UCLA. That said, it is still a hustle.

LitttUp

Postby LitttUp » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:49 am

nowyouscantleave wrote:Thanks so much! I was hoping someone from UCLA would post soon!

I was just wondering if you could provide any UCLA-specific advice? I know there are a ton of articles on which supplements to use etc. but I would love to know what you recommend for the specific professors you had in each class.

I fear listing all of my profs will out me too much. If you list the professors you have, we can then give advice if we had them. Each 1L had a distinct experience, so it just depends. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but if you have a more specific question, I might be able to help out a bit more.
Last edited by LitttUp on Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmicusInimici

Postby AmicusInimici » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:51 am

Awesome, I was looking for one of these from UCLA.

How did the first year go for you? Is there anything that you would make sure to do right from the start, if you were starting over as a 1L in the fall?

LitttUp

Postby LitttUp » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am

AmicusInimici wrote:Awesome, I was looking for one of these from UCLA.

How did the first year go for you? Is there anything that you would make sure to do right from the start, if you were starting over as a 1L in the fall?

Get solid outlines from someone, start with supplements way earlier, not take the ungraded memo so seriously.

Also, skip the pizza. They provide so much of this free pizza for events and it gets old really quickly.

hpocket

Postby hpocket » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Bruin Law wrote:Also a rising 2L at UCLA. Big fan thus far. Can chime in if necessary.

This is pretty general but...what things made you a big fan?

Bruin Law

Postby Bruin Law » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:53 pm

hpocket wrote:
Bruin Law wrote:Also a rising 2L at UCLA. Big fan thus far. Can chime in if necessary.

This is pretty general but...what things made you a big fan?

Beautiful campus, friendly and intelligent classmates, (mostly) great profs, helpful career services office, vast selection of course offerings, valuable networking opportunities, etc.

Can elaborate on some of the above if you have specific questions.

nowyouscantleave

Postby nowyouscantleave » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:40 am

LitttUp wrote:
nowyouscantleave wrote:Thanks so much! I was hoping someone from UCLA would post soon!

I fear listing all of my profs will out me too much. If you list the professors you have, we can then give advice if we had them. Each 1L had a distinct experience, so it just depends. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but if you have a more specific question, I might be able to help out a bit more.

Thanks, would it be okay to PM you once I get my schedule?

LitttUp

Postby LitttUp » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:07 pm

nowyouscantleave wrote:
LitttUp wrote:

Thanks, would it be okay to PM you once I get my schedule?

Sure thing.

pineappleman

Postby pineappleman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:51 pm

Just wondering if the 0 week intro to law school week of classes is worth attending? They say you get 1 unit of credit or something like that

LitttUp

Postby LitttUp » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:36 pm

From what I understand, it was required. However, it was marginally useful. They take attendance in the "class" so people would show up for that, but by Thursday people were skipping more and more of the other sessions.

The stock answer all week is, "do what works for you!" It got pretty repetitive. However, last year was the first year that they had done it and it was also Dean Scivoletto's first year. I have a hunch that it will be much improved this year. Go, please don't take any notes, find some friends with whom you can mutually complain about how lame the orientation is and don't stress.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”