First Shot at a Legal Resume - Advice Wanted

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
everton125

First Shot at a Legal Resume - Advice Wanted

Postby everton125 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:27 am

Hi all,

First off, I would like to acknowledge that, as an OL who does not start law school until the fall, I realize there was no real need for me to work on my legal resume at this point in time. However, I needed to update it significantly anyways since I am currently applying for a number of outside scholarships to offset the cost of law school, and I thought it would be nice to get my legal resume out of the way now so that I can concentrate on more important things once law school gets going.

Anyways, back to the main point -- I was hoping someone might be able to take a look over the first draft of my legal resume. I used the sample resumes provided by Harvard at the below link for guidance, but I still have a couple of concerns. Specifically, I am having a little difficult determining what is actually worth keeping in my descriptions of past employment and if some of my awards/extracurricular are worth mentioning. I don't really have a good sense of what is impressive/worthy of highlighting for employers. Lastly, I am also curious as to whether others agree with Harvard's "no-bullets" approach to legal resumes; a lot of other advice I have seen, including TLS' own guide to professional resumes, strongly encourages the use of bullets instead of paragraphs for descriptions of work experience.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... sumes.html

If anyone would be willing to take a look, please PM me. Also, feel free to mock me for being way over eager! You will be completely in the right.

Thanks!

everton125

Re: First Shot at a Legal Resume - Advice Wanted

Postby everton125 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Bump

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:37 pm

*stuffs you into a locker*

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

OP, people at your CSO will help you on your resume. You can enjoy your summer for now.

everton125

Postby everton125 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:34 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:*stuffs you into a locker*

Except I am 6 feet 3 inches and 230 pounds, so that might be tough.

everton125

Postby everton125 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:34 pm

LawsRUs wrote:OP, people at your CSO will help you on your resume. You can enjoy your summer for now.

Still working at the moment, so not really. Plus, I will be traveling Peru for a month, so I think I have it all covered, thanks.
Last edited by everton125 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

everton125

Postby everton125 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”