Hiding tats during summer associate stint

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
silenttimer
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:13 am

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby silenttimer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:48 am

I wouldn't even think twice if I see a summer with tats. (FYI -- I'm at a Vault T50 firm in a somewhat Southern city.) Do you really want to work at a place where people care that you have tats?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10668
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby Capitol_Idea » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:49 am

chem! wrote:FYI: OP was an alt of a permabanned shitposter, and has been banned.

What a shocking twist!

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7299
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 am

I guess this kinda gives away who it is huh

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22779
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:56 am

Danger Zone wrote:I guess this kinda gives away who it is huh

Actually I don't think it does.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby chem! » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:15 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:I guess this kinda gives away who it is huh

Actually I don't think it does.

We are in agreement.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:56 am

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:(and I just assume that everyone with tattoos is insecure).

interesting b/c my sense is that people look down on people who get tattoos do so out of insecurity themselves.

lawman84
Posts: 3261
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:57 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:(and I just assume that everyone with tattoos is insecure).

interesting b/c my sense is that people look down on people who get tattoos do so out of insecurity themselves.


Nah, it's just different generations. I know my old man and a lot of lawyers from his generation don't like tattoos. They see them as "trashy" so it's smart to cover them. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I have no desire to get a tattoo of my own because I never saw the point in it but I don't judge others for having them. But it's judgement that people will have to suffer through until the older generation has left the business...especially here in the South.

Outis Onoma
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 pm

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby Outis Onoma » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:18 pm

I admit my first reaction when I see a tattoo is "Woah, that's dumb." But that's only because I eventually sour on everything in life and IMO everything just turns shitty, so I couldn't imagine keeping something in my life for 5 years, much less a lifetime.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Hiding tats during summer associate stint

Postby iamgeorgebush » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:08 am

lawman84 wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:
Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:(and I just assume that everyone with tattoos is insecure).

interesting b/c my sense is that people look down on people who get tattoos do so out of insecurity themselves.


Nah, it's just different generations. I know my old man and a lot of lawyers from his generation don't like tattoos. They see them as "trashy" so it's smart to cover them. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I have no desire to get a tattoo of my own because I never saw the point in it but I don't judge others for having them. But it's judgement that people will have to suffer through until the older generation has left the business...especially here in the South.

you are correct that many old people see tattoos as trashy. and when people say something is "trashy," they do so to make themselves feel superior...which comes down to insecurity. see bordieu, distinction.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests