Anxious 0L with Career Related Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sanetzba

Anxious 0L with Career Related Questions

Postby sanetzba » Thu May 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Okay so here this goes. I'm really worried about getting a job after law school (who isn't). I'm attending Syracuse University College of Law (SUCOL) in the fall, but I one day hope to break into big law.

I was wondering if any law students had any advice for trying to get a position in a big firm coming from a smaller school. I plan to apply to firms in all upstate cities hoping to use geography to my advantage.

I would also love to have a clerkship in a federal court. Do I even have a chance given my alma mater. I'm hoping to do really well in law school, but there's obviously no guarantee. Just looking for advice on what I should focus on as I head into my 1L year. Thanks in advance.

future!jd12

Re: Anxious 0L with Career Related Questions

Postby future!jd12 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:28 pm

retake

UpandDown97

Postby UpandDown97 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:55 pm

sanetzba wrote:Okay so here this goes. I'm really worried about getting a job after law school (who isn't). I'm attending Syracuse University College of Law (SUCOL) in the fall, but I one day hope to break into big law.

I was wondering if any law students had any advice for trying to get a position in a big firm coming from a smaller school. I plan to apply to firms in all upstate cities hoping to use geography to my advantage.

I would also love to have a clerkship in a federal court. Do I even have a chance given my alma mater. I'm hoping to do really well in law school, but there's obviously no guarantee. Just looking for advice on what I should focus on as I head into my 1L year. Thanks in advance.

Look at Syracuse's employment statistics. 4 people got a federal clerkship in 2014. 2 people got jobs with firms that have 501+ attorneys. 7 got jobs in firms with 251 to 500 attorneys.

I hate saying retake or take time off, but if those are your goals, you need to reconsider.

twenty

Postby twenty » Thu May 28, 2015 10:01 pm

The bad news is, you're not going to be going into biglaw.

The good news is, you know this before you send Syracuse lots of your money/live there for a year.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 29, 2015 4:28 am

Retake, don't go etc

Also biglaw isn't something you can break into, you either get it straight out or not at all

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri May 29, 2015 8:29 am

You can make it into biglaw, but it will be difficult. Your are better off taking another year and trying to get into Cornell or another T-14. What are your stats? Law school admissions are getting easier every year, so you should not feel pressured to jump in right away. It is likely in your best interest to wait. I say this as a recent graduate with a pretty good job lined up, as well.

Do you have connections upstate? I have a cousin who went to Buff and is just starting at a "big" firm in Rochester. He leaned heavily on his connections and obviously did pretty well.

If you're intent on going to SU, though, pick a specialty that's useful to big firms and start building your resume for it right away. Make sure to start applying to bigger firms upstate during 1L fall. The "traditional" hiring model doesn't always carry outside the big markets. You should also consider transferring up!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 pm

U seriously need to retake. don't waste your time and money (and life) on some bullshit

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 pm

RETAKE

also

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Retake, don't go etc

Also biglaw isn't something you can break into, you either get it straight out or not at all

the bolded isn't necessarily true, but for op's purposes it should be treated as true.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Fri May 29, 2015 1:01 pm

chimp wrote:RETAKE

also

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Retake, don't go etc

the bolded isn't necessarily true, but for op's purposes it should be treated as true.

Yeah biglaw hiring these days is as nontraditional as ever. You arent breaking into V10, but plenty of people can work there way into 100+ law firms these days.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”