Corp Finance?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
POTUSorSCOTUS

Corp Finance?

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Mon May 25, 2015 8:24 pm

1. What is Corp Finance about?

2. Would taking Corp Finance during 3L be a bad idea? Any benefits from doing so?

3. Difference bt/w M&A and Corp Finance?

Thx, couldn't find much on search

NEdelton1987

Re: Corp Finance?

Postby NEdelton1987 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:53 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:1. What is Corp Finance about?

2. Would taking Corp Finance during 3L be a bad idea? Any benefits from doing so?

1. Corporate finance includes practice areas of capital markets and securities.
2. After you take corporate finance, you might have a better idea of the big picture of the securities deals that you work on.
3. Very different. Both are deals driven. Corporate finance involves financing deals (IPO, secondary offerings, debt offerings, high-yield, etc.). M&A involves business combinations.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Mon May 25, 2015 9:13 pm

NEdelton1987 wrote:

2. After you take corporate finance, you might have a better idea of the big picture of the securities deals that you work on.
3. Very different. Both are deals driven. Corporate finance involves financing deals (IPO, secondary offerings, debt offerings, high-yield, etc.). M&A involves business combinations.

Tyvm

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Wed May 27, 2015 4:44 pm

NEdelton1987 wrote:

Would you recommend Corp Finance? How was your experience with it?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Are you talking about a class in law school titled, "Corporate Finance?" Copy and paste the course catalog description here so we can get a better idea. If you're thinking about doing Corporate work (namely debt/equity markets, banking/finance, or M&A) then I highly recommend that you take Corporate Finance. I mean, it's not going to change your world but it helps to know WTF a DCF valuation is so that you can point out why co-counsel's summary of a bank's fairness opinion makes no fucking sense.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 10:35 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Are you talking about a class in law school titled, "Corporate Finance?" Copy and paste the course catalog description here so we can get a better idea. If you're thinking about doing Corporate work (namely debt/equity markets, banking/finance, or M&A) then I highly recommend that you take Corporate Finance. I mean, it's not going to change your world but it helps to know WTF a DCF valuation is so that you can point out why co-counsel's summary of a bank's fairness opinion makes no fucking sense.

"Counsel, your DCF analysis is totally WACC!"

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:Are you talking about a class in law school titled, "Corporate Finance?" Copy and paste the course catalog description here so we can get a better idea. If you're thinking about doing Corporate work (namely debt/equity markets, banking/finance, or M&A) then I highly recommend that you take Corporate Finance. I mean, it's not going to change your world but it helps to know WTF a DCF valuation is so that you can point out why co-counsel's summary of a bank's fairness opinion makes no fucking sense.

"Counsel, that discount rate is totally WACC!"

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed May 27, 2015 10:46 pm

In my experience, taking Corporate Finance without some kind of econ/finance background, or at least some excel or math skills, was a bad move. Many people in the class had taken basic (at least) finance classes in undergrad and I was at a huge disadvantage, especially since the professor assumed that people had some math ability and I have none.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Wed May 27, 2015 11:07 pm

"This course begins with an introduction to modern finance theory to provide tools for understanding valuation problems. Students will learn about discounted present value, valuation of risk, portfolio theory, capital asset pricing model, efficient markets hypothesis, and options theory. The course then moves to a legal analysis of the rights and claims that attach to various securities, beginning with contractual rights of bondholders and convertible security holders. It then considers the contractual and extracontractual rights of preferred shareholders, and finally takes up the dividend and control rights of common stockholders, and fiduciary obligations of directors toward common stock holders. The course ends with an examination of corporate finance, aspects of mergers and acquisitions, new types of financial securities and their legal implications. Attention is paid throughout the course to the conflicts that arise between security holders, and the implications of the allocation of control rights among security holders for corporate governance, and for public policy." - Corp Finance

How much math will I be looking at? I couldn't even pass Algebra FTW

iVi

Postby iVi » Wed May 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Emma. wrote:In my experience, taking Corporate Finance without some kind of econ/finance background, or at least some excel or math skills, was a bad move. Many people in the class had taken basic (at least) finance classes in undergrad and I was at a huge disadvantage, especially since the professor assumed that people had some math ability and I have none.

In a similar boat but interested in Corporate Finance. Any recommendations for getting up to speed with basic concepts and required math?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:42 am

Class sounds legit. The most important (and easiest) concepts will probably be the stuff re: discounted present value, valuation of risk, and maybe capital asset pricing model shit. Efficient markets hypothesis + portfolio risk is interesting but lol you'll never walk around saying, "WELL IN A MODIGLIANI MILLER WORLD . . ." But I guess it'll give you insight into how tax really drives 90% of the things that we do. Options theory is conceptually challenging but the math is not bad at all.

The point of the class is to introduce basic concepts of Corporate Finance to those who went to a liberal arts college. You're going to need to know how to perform basic algebra but nothing else should really be expected. The whole point of this course is to plug n' play formulas, which often requires you to isolate different variables depending on what information you're given. This is super learnable and if you could learn how to do a logic game than you can learn how to algebra because lol its the most purely logical thing you could possibly learn.

Other than being able to do that? Nah. You'll be fine. Pay attention in class (which will be close to impossible b/c numbers). But if you can manage to do that . . . I can't emphasize enough how easy Corporate Finance is if you pay attention. The steps to answering a problem set are: (1) figure out what formula applies, (2) plug in numbers from prompt, (3) solve for the one remaining variable.

Also, your class is just basically going to be this but a bit longer and with homework: https://www.khanacademy.org/economics-f ... re-finance

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Thu May 28, 2015 9:44 am

I had to retake Algebra about 5 times in my life because I couldn't do it.

Should I P/F this class or avoid it all together for 2nd semester 3LOL? (not too much LOLing will be involved)

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Lol, I still think you should suffer through it because I can't really imagine anyone comparing cap tables w/ various agreements while due-diligencing without a basic understanding of how convertible notes and warrants work but fuck it I'm sure they all manage to get by

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Lol, I still think you should suffer through it because I can't really imagine anyone comparing cap tables w/ various agreements while due-diligencing without a basic understanding of how convertible notes and warrants work but fuck it I'm sure they all manage to get by

I am leaning towards P/Fing it because I'm init2know - did u take the course? What is it comparable to?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”