Class Rank Change After People Transfer?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
SCOAngers

Class Rank Change After People Transfer?

Postby SCOAngers » Sat May 23, 2015 7:50 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into putting a deposit at a school that tends to have a shit ton of people transfer out at the end of 1L. It got me thinking, does your class rank change after everyone transfers in the summer? For example If I'm around the top 20% at the end of spring, and the top 10% transfers out, am I now in the top 10% when OCI rolls around.

Thanks for your input.

itascot1992

Re: Class Rank Change After People Transfer?

Postby itascot1992 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:54 am

SCOAngers wrote:Hello everyone.

I'm looking into putting a deposit at a school that tends to have a shit ton of people transfer out at the end of 1L. It got me thinking, does your class rank change after everyone transfers in the summer? For example If I'm around the top 20% at the end of spring, and the top 10% transfers out, am I now in the top 10% when OCI rolls around.

Thanks for your input.

+1 OOC

haus

Postby haus » Sun May 24, 2015 10:16 am

I strongly suspect that it does not matter much, as the vast majority of firms that participate in OCI for a school are familiar with the dynamics related to abnormally high groups of transfers.

If it should happen to be that you end up looking for employment at places that are a bit less familiar with your school that the adjustment in class rank may have more value.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 24, 2015 12:38 pm

Such a school will likely have <10% of grads going big law anyway, so your choice to risk $$$ at such a lowly school is objectively unreasonable

SCOAngers

Postby SCOAngers » Sun May 24, 2015 4:12 pm

With all due respect, this wasn't a question about scholarship or debt. I was just curious if class rankings are reapportioned at the beginning of your second year and how that factors into employment. I know it's probably negligible, but I would still appreciate an answer from somebody who's been through it
Last edited by SCOAngers on Sun May 24, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haus

Postby haus » Sun May 24, 2015 4:41 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Such a school will likely have <10% of grads going big law anyway, so your choice to risk $$$ at such a lowly school is objectively unreasonable

ugh
Last edited by haus on Sun May 24, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Ask the law school registrar because it may vary by school.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 24, 2015 4:48 pm

haus wrote:
POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Such a school will likely have <10% of grads going big law anyway, so your choice to risk $$$ at such a lowly school is objectively unreasonable

Good reading comprehension.

Hint: not everyone is looking for BIGLAW.

Hint: Going to a regional law school w/ a 50% chance of making $50k/year is objectively unreasonable because the debt + opportunity cost is not worth the "reward", unless you take non-economic values into account (in which case, you are being objectively unreasonable either way).

haus

Postby haus » Sun May 24, 2015 4:57 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:
haus wrote:

Hint: Going to a regional law school w/ a 50% chance of making $50k/year is objectively unreasonable because the debt + opportunity cost is not worth the "reward", unless you take non-economic values into account (in which case, you are being objectively unreasonable either way).

That depends a great deal on what that cost/debt is. Since it was not stated, please do feel free to assume it is whatever you want it to be to make you feel good about story line.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 24, 2015 5:07 pm

haus wrote:
POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:
haus wrote:

That depends a great deal on what that cost/debt is. Since it was not stated, please do feel free to assume it is whatever you want it to be to make you feel good about story line.

If he's attending a school that a "shit ton of students" transfer out of, its probably safe to assume its a TTTT-heaping pile of shit that costs a ton, has GPA contingent-scholarships w/ brutal curves, and terrible job prospects. Use context clues.

haus

Postby haus » Sun May 24, 2015 5:11 pm

POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Use context clues.

You should apply for work with the CIA, they also like to make up stories with insufficient supporting evidence.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 24, 2015 5:14 pm

haus wrote:
POTUSorSCOTUS wrote:Use context clues.

You should apply for work with the CIA, they also like to make up stories with insufficient supporting evidence.

NYC to 190

SCOAngers

Postby SCOAngers » Sun May 24, 2015 6:06 pm

I hate to see people get so worked up over nothing, so FYI the school is ranked ~50 and I have a 75% tuition with no stipulations. Its also a 10 minute ride from my parent's house.

I'm not really sure why so many people transfer out, but it was that way even when it was ranked in the top 25.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Why not name the school as you're likely to get more specific responses. W&L ?

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 24, 2015 6:10 pm

SCOAngers wrote:I hate to see people get so worked up over nothing, so FYI the school is ranked ~50 and I have a 75% tuition with no stipulations. Its also a 10 minute ride from my parent's house.

I'm not really sure why so many people transfer out, but it was that way even when it was ranked in the top 25.

What law school went from 25 to 50? Be more specific

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun May 24, 2015 6:14 pm

OP: Students probably transfer out for better job opportunities/ placement stats.

SCOAngers

Postby SCOAngers » Sun May 24, 2015 6:21 pm

But that's true at every school, I was wondering why this school has disproportionately more than other schools, even in its heyday.

It's Hastings btw.

POTUSorSCOTUS

Postby POTUSorSCOTUS » Sun May 24, 2015 6:26 pm

SCOAngers wrote:But that's true at every school, I was wondering why this school has disproportionately more than other schools, even in its heyday.

It's Hastings btw.

Please don't go to hastings unless you've put serious thought into your future.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... ends/2014/

SCOAngers

Postby SCOAngers » Sun May 24, 2015 6:40 pm

I know, it's terrible, but my debt wouldn't be too bad. Also, over 12% of the class transferred last year, and another 13% are working in Biglaw, so does that mean over 25% are alright, or am I missing something

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 24, 2015 7:26 pm

Do not go to Hastings. You're projecting yourself to finish in the top 20% of a class filled with a bunch of "But I Don't Wanna!!!" non-retaker reverse splitter bros from Berkeley, Stanford, etc. Strong possibility your lunch will be eaten at a school that has truly horrific job placement statistics.

Seriously. Don't do it.

SCOAngers

Postby SCOAngers » Sun May 24, 2015 7:51 pm

BigZuck wrote:Do not go to Hastings. You're projecting yourself to finish in the top 20% of a class filled with a bunch of "But I Don't Wanna!!!" non-retaker reverse splitter bros from Berkeley, Stanford, etc. Strong possibility your lunch will be eaten at a school that has truly horrific job placement statistics.

Seriously. Don't do it.

Thanks dude, you're probably right.

Is Hastings known for being broish, or is that just law school in general?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 24, 2015 7:59 pm

SCOAngers wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Do not go to Hastings. You're projecting yourself to finish in the top 20% of a class filled with a bunch of "But I Don't Wanna!!!" non-retaker reverse splitter bros from Berkeley, Stanford, etc. Strong possibility your lunch will be eaten at a school that has truly horrific job placement statistics.

Seriously. Don't do it.

Thanks dude, you're probably right.

Is Hastings known for being broish, or is that just law school in general?

I don't think any law schools outside of the south have a reputation for being broish. And most law school reputations are flame anyway IMO, I'm guessing it's largely the same atmosphere most places.

lisavj

Postby lisavj » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Late to the party but I know of an answer to this question. There is at least some reshuffling early in the year but likely not early enough for oci. I know this because scholarships for top students are reapportioned (you have to be the top xx of RETURNING students).

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:49 pm

I know WUSTL did so last year, but not this year

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”