If you can change the way law school is run from all standpoints, how would you change it? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: If you can change the way law school is run from all standpoints, how would you change it?

Post by rpupkin » Wed May 27, 2015 7:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:I think there's actually some benefit to the caselaw method, IF you are actually going to be litigating, just probably not enough to be worth three years of it. You need to be reasonably good at the treasure hunt when you're doing your legal research for briefs.
I completely suck at the caselaw method of learning...and my clinic prof called me his "most efficient and effective researcher." So, ymmv.
LOL

Gold

Re: If you can change the way law school is run from all standpoints, how would you change it?

Post by 84651846190 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:48 pm

First step is to get rid of at least 60% of law schools, including all currently non-ABA accredited institutions.

Second, put a moratorium on the creation of any new law schools.

Third, cap enrollment at the remaining law schools based on the number of jobs available (using some kind of rolling average).

Fourth, get rid of the third year of law school and require a one-year apprenticeship instead.

Fifth, get rid of required classes. All classes in law school should be optional. For example, if you know you want to be a civil litigator, you should not be required to take criminal law.

Sixth, get rid of all government subsidized loans (for everything, not just law school or education in general).

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:
Fifth, get rid of required classes. All classes in law school should be optional. For example, if you know you want to be a civil litigator, you should not be required to take criminal law.
Alternatively, come up with a required course slate that is a little more relevant to the range of areas of law one might conceivably practice coming out of school? For example, no one is required to take anything remotely relevant to transactional/corp practice, yet a lot of people go that route. And the whole idea of "foundational" areas of law seems increasingly irrelevant to me -- does the concept of "sounding in contract" or "sounding in tort" really mean anything anymore? Meanwhile, I think some kind of accounting/finance concepts for lawyers course should be required for everyone who doesn't already have a background in those areas.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”