Those who do not go to T20's are you confident in your future and happy with your decision?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BigZuck

Re: Those who do not go to T20's are you confident in your future and happy with your decision?

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:47 am

lawman84 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:...but for real, can you link to just one post that is emblematic of this "T14 or bust mentality"? Just one.

People say it all the time, they can't back it up. That leads me to believe that they aren't actually comprehending what is written, or they have some sort of weird agenda that necessitates lying. I think it's conceivable that you could find one of our more mentally ill trolls saying something along those lines, but it's rare and it's most likely shouted down by the sane folks around here.

I have over 8000 posts and I've probably posted in or read the vast majority of the choosing threads over the last couple years. I seriously don't know what T14 or bust machine you guys are raging against. Guide me to it so that I can understand.

Just one post. Please.

Read the second post in this thread.

That's not actually representative of a "T14 or bust mentality." And it's a rando troll.

You (and the first poster in this thread especially) seem to be taking the position that this is, like, an actual issue. When in actuality there doesn't appear to be any evidence that it actually, like, exists. REAMS of bandwidth are being wasted trying to burn down a straw man. That's silly.

lawman84

Re: Those who do not go to T20's are you confident in your future and happy with your decision?

Postby lawman84 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:18 am

BigZuck wrote:That's not actually representative of a "T14 or bust mentality." And it's a rando troll.

You (and the first poster in this thread especially) seem to be taking the position that this is, like, an actual issue. When in actuality there doesn't appear to be any evidence that it actually, like, exists. REAMS of bandwidth are being wasted trying to burn down a straw man. That's silly.

Try reading through the few posts I have in this thread again. If anyone here has built a straw man, it's you.

If you think it doesn't exist, well, there's nothing I'm going to say that will change your mind. I have't made this out to be an "actual issue."(i.e. a major issue) I'm not going to waste time defending an argument that I've never made.

KMart

Postby KMart » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:23 am

People misunderstand the general consensus of TLS to be t14 or bust all the time. A lot of people aspire for big law. They should probably hit the t14 for that. However, at a solid cost, in a market you want to be in, a good regional school is often supported by the TLS. Don't confuse the two sentiments. Ultimately it's a forum of people helping others; you can choose to block out the noise.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:39 am

KMart wrote:People misunderstand the general consensus of TLS to be t14 or bust all the time. A lot of people aspire for big law. They should probably hit the t14 for that. However, at a solid cost, in a market you want to be in, a good regional school is often supported by the TLS. Don't confuse the two sentiments. Ultimately it's a forum of people helping others; you can choose to block out the noise.

And that's exactly what I've maintained all along.

From my first post giving general advice based on the title of this thread:
That all said, I don't think people's perspective should be T14 or bust unless you know you want biglaw. There are plenty of quality regional law schools that will get you a good job. Just don't go to them paying sticker price.

Second post responding to a request about finding posts portraying the T14 or bust mentality:
I don't feel like digging through posts but I've seen plenty of retake or don't go to law school advice because they're not going to a T14.

And I don't think that's necessarily the wrong advice. There are certainly situations that it's the right advice.(like a person taking on debt that wants to work in biglaw) But it's not always the right advice.

From my fourth post responding to A. Nony Mouse:
My post was made to tell people that you can still do well for yourself even if you don't make it into the T14 as long as you're realistic about your goals and about the debt you can take on. Most people on this website would say the same. But seeing as I am currently at a T1, I thought it was a point worth making in this thread.

My point is consistent and it's simply to tell 0Ls that your life isn't over if you don't have T14 credentials but choose to attend law school. As I said, I think most of TLS would agree.

That all said, nobody is going to convince me that there are no posters on this site with a T14 or bust mentality. But the vast majority of posters do not have that mentality. Which has never been my contention.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:38 pm

We have apparently devolved to the point where we have a TLS thread arguing about what was said in other TLS threads.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Nobody should confident in their future and happy including T20 students if their future involves law because law sucks. Some slight exceptions for govt workers and unicorns.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”