A summer introductory course for LS, would you take it? Have you taken one?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blueberrypie

A summer introductory course for LS, would you take it? Have you taken one?

Postby Blueberrypie » Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am

I have the opportunity, if I so choose, to take a introductory course prior to 1L. I think it would be good considering I have been out of school for only a year. I know it doesn't seem like a long time, however I've integrated myself into full timework 9-5 lifestyle and I think it beneficial if I do take said course.

However, I'm nervous as to whether it would be a waste of time or not what I am hoping it would be. I guess everything is what you make of it.

BasilHallward

Re: A summer introductory course for LS, would you take it? Have you taken one?

Postby BasilHallward » Wed May 20, 2015 9:54 am

Are you alluding to Barbri's law prep course??

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Wed May 20, 2015 10:00 am

BasilHallward wrote:Are you alluding to Barbri's law prep course??

Yep! :)

BasilHallward

Postby BasilHallward » Wed May 20, 2015 10:05 am

i don't know if it is necessarily a waste of time, but i don't think it is necessary for law school success. I know of a few people that have taken it; some have found it beneficial and others not. It really depends if you have 1k to toss away. You may gather some useful nuggets of information.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed May 20, 2015 10:14 am

From almost everything I've read it seems a large waste of time. Probably because the people saying this are humanities majors who are broadly familiar with the law. But if you have no idea about the law - say, if you're coming from STEM - I think it would be more helpful than not.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed May 20, 2015 10:38 am

I would not do one that costs money. I did one at my school because it was free the week before orientation and I was nervous about being back in school after a long time off. It won't help you substantively; for me it just helped me feel more comfortable. But it was definitely unnecessary.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Wed May 20, 2015 10:56 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I would not do one that costs money. I did one at my school because it was free the week before orientation and I was nervous about being back in school after a long time off. It won't help you substantively; for me it just helped me feel more comfortable. But it was definitely unnecessary.

My school has one as well. I just looked into it. It last for a few weeks. You get credits and its most hands on. I get the individualized attention that I won't get in 1L. I'm trying to be ahead of the curve as much as possible. I was a stellar student, but key word is was. I totally shut off my rigorous student side. I haven't cracked open many books since school also... lol its been one long year of work work work

Effingham

Postby Effingham » Wed May 20, 2015 11:12 am

I wouldn't do it, basically buying a placebo. The truth is, there really isn't very much to learn in first year law school classes and no real way to get ahead of the curve until 2-3 months in.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Wed May 20, 2015 11:28 am

Effingham wrote:I wouldn't do it, basically buying a placebo. The truth is, there really isn't very much to learn in first year law school classes and no real way to get ahead of the curve until 2-3 months in.

wouldn't one thing to learn be how to do well and adapt to the environment? I mean if it's free, and the program at my school is. Why not try to get a head start?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed May 20, 2015 4:30 pm

sounds like u really wanna do it so just do it

Postby 2014 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:56 pm

If you would otherwise be just hanging out and your school is paying for it then it really won't hurt. If you have to take days off work or pay for it, definitely not worth.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”