Summer before 1L: work hard or play hard?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blueberrypie

Summer before 1L: work hard or play hard?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun May 17, 2015 9:04 pm

A little backdrop, I never had to study in undergrad. I'd absorb it all through lecture and digest it. The application came easy for me. Even in the toughest class, because of a few principles I learned to live by.

Anyway, everyone and their mom says law is a different ball game. Law you have to crank out several hours a day, like it is your job and study.

I'm not the type fo spend hours studying. I'm the type who doesn't believe in cramming, long hours or bursting blood vessels over final exams.

Therefore, should I take my summer to ease into law school mentality? Should I start reading and absorbing 1L courses prior to the first day of class?

I think that would make transition easier. Also how else does everyone mentally prepare for 1L?

BigZuck

Re: Summer before 1L: work hard or play hard?

Postby BigZuck » Sun May 17, 2015 9:12 pm

This gets asked like once a week. Do a site search for law school prep or 0L prep. Your answers are there.

The short (and correct) answer is don't do any prep work. Maybe read the book Getting to Maybe. But other than that, don't do any prep at all.

Also, you're grossly mischaracterizing how much work people have to do in law school. Outside of maybe the last month or so of each semester, it's basically just Xbox 360 and beer time. You can probably go to class and read for class, but even that is debateable depending on the class (I definitely suggest doing both those things though, at least as a 1L).

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:12 pm

It's only impressive that you were able to understand concepts through only lectures if you did STEM. Econ/history/etc. concepts are not that hard to grasp, and neither is law. The hard part is the forced curve, and the fact that you only get 1 shot at making the grade via the exam. Do with that information what you will.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm

pancakes3 wrote:It's only impressive that you were able to understand concepts through only lectures if you did STEM. Econ/history/etc. concepts are not that hard to grasp, and neither is law. The hard part is the forced curve, and the fact that you only get 1 shot at making the grade via the exam. Do with that information what you will.

Well I'm glad I am able to impress you. STEM isn't hard, but requires a different level of thinking. Once I learned to understand how to think and categorize for STEM courses i excelled. The liberal studies are often pushed as simple, but are also complex if you delve deeper. Anyone can understand concepts, but applying them for any discipline can drum up difficulty. Therefore, I never say stem is more difficult than liberal arts. It requires using a different part of your mind.

I knwo STEM majors who are extremely smart but can't read for shit and possess no analytical skills. They literally seizure if the absolute answer can't be discovered with a complex equation. The reverse goes for Liberal Arts, where some will scream if locked in a room with a bill nye look a like.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Sun May 17, 2015 9:33 pm

BigZuck wrote:This gets asked like once a week. Do a site search for law school prep or 0L prep. Your answers are there.

The short (and correct) answer is don't do any prep work. Maybe read the book Getting to Maybe. But other than that, don't do any prep at all.

Also, you're grossly mischaracterizing how much work people have to do in law school. Outside of maybe the last month or so of each semester, it's basically just Xbox 360 and beer time. You can probably go to class and read for class, but even that is debateable depending on the class (I definitely suggest doing both those things though, at least as a 1L).

Thanks will do. I don't knwo if a thread can be closed, but close away, because my answers lie in a simple search.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:38 pm

Blueberrypie wrote:
pancakes3 wrote:It's only impressive that you were able to understand concepts through only lectures if you did STEM. Econ/history/etc. concepts are not that hard to grasp, and neither is law. The hard part is the forced curve, and the fact that you only get 1 shot at making the grade via the exam. Do with that information what you will.

Well I'm glad I am able to impress you. STEM isn't hard, but requires a different level of thinking. Once I learned to understand how to think and categorize for STEM courses i excelled. The liberal studies are often pushed as simple, but are also complex if you delve deeper. Anyone can understand concepts, but applying them for any discipline can drum up difficulty. Therefore, I never say stem is more difficult than liberal arts. It requires using a different part of your mind.

I knwo STEM majors who are extremely smart but can't read for shit and possess no analytical skills. They literally seizure if the absolute answer can't be discovered with a complex equation. The reverse goes for Liberal Arts, where some will scream if locked in a room with a bill nye look a like.

Doesn't sound like you were STEM, bro.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon May 18, 2015 12:19 am

Blueberrypie wrote:

lol at this shit

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 am

Rahviveh wrote:
Blueberrypie wrote:

lol at this shit

Nah, this is totally correct.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”