Does anyone work full time and attend LS PT?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Blueberrypie

Does anyone work full time and attend LS PT?

Postby Blueberrypie » Sat May 16, 2015 7:47 pm

I want your advice on how you juggle work and LS? I know LS is very hard, however my job is good and keeps me very financially stable, which is what I need right now.

Anyway I would really like an opinion on how PT law school is regardless if you work or not.

Capitol_Idea

Re: Does anyone work full time and attend LS PT?

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat May 16, 2015 7:57 pm

I did for the first two years of my PT program. It's doable if your job is actually 40-50 hrs/week with little evening or weekend work requirements. I've seen people with serious full time jobs falter because they just can't find time to focus on schoolwork, and others manage job, family, extracurricular activities, and school manageably well.

Keep in mind, however, that you are committing to 3.5 to 4 years of law school instead of 3. I'm entering year 4 and it. is. the. worst. However, having two years to build up good grades before OCI was pretty awesome. So there are advantages as well.

To juggle it, I did my reading right before class so it was fresh in my mind, and always made sure to attend class so I wouldn't fall behind. That way, when it comes time for finals prep, the material was in my head and I didn't have to spend massive amounts of time at the end playing catch-up.

haus

Postby haus » Sat May 16, 2015 8:20 pm

Yes, I am working full-time and going to law school part-time.

It makes for some very long days at times, but it allows me to continue to support my family, and make more inroads into my current career (I am likely in a rare situation where I think I will be able to expand my current career, taking on extra responsibilities instead of starting over once I earn my degree).

I also opted for the new hybrid program, vice more traditional PT programs, primarily to lessen the impact on my daughter. Although, if I felt the need to pursue a more traditional legal job I may have been more hesitant to go this path, as I suspect it will take awhile for mainstream legal employers to warm up to alternate educational formats.

For general advice, pace yourself. Stay current on your reading, as with a full-time job (and other life commitments) it will be harder to catch up should you fall behind. Also, before enrolling try to build up as much extra action time at your job as you can, as there will be times when having the flexibility to take a day off will go a long ways towards maintaining your sanity.

Blueberrypie

Postby Blueberrypie » Sat May 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Thanks for the comments. I'm lucky that law school and my job are only 25 min away. I will stay current on reading as my job isn't too demanding and I can have a breather for an couple hours to study

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”