1L summer timeline?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
foxes

1L summer timeline?

Postby foxes » Tue May 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi, I'm a 0L that's really confused about what exactly takes place when in law school. No one I know is going to law school, no lawyers in the family, etc. so I thought I'd ask here. From what I gathered by reading this board, during your 1L summer, you do: 1L job, OCI in the beginning of August (?), submit clerkship apps (?). Is that right? So if you don't get an SA for 2L summer quickly, that wouldn't go on your clerkship apps? I'm not necessarily interested in clerking or w/e, just curious as to how everything is crammed in to one summer.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Tiago Splitter

Re: 1L summer timeline?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 12, 2015 4:31 pm

foxes wrote:Hi, I'm a 0L that's really confused about what exactly takes place when in law school. No one I know is going to law school, no lawyers in the family, etc. so I thought I'd ask here. From what I gathered by reading this board, during your 1L summer, you do: 1L job, OCI in the beginning of August (?), submit clerkship apps (?). Is that right? So if you don't get an SA for 2L summer quickly, that wouldn't go on your clerkship apps? I'm not necessarily interested in clerking or w/e, just curious as to how everything is crammed in to one summer.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

You won't start sending clerkship apps until at least the middle of 2L year. For 1L summer you can start looking for a job around December but lots of people won't get hired until well into the spring. You'll end that job in time to do OCI in early-mid August.

xael

Postby xael » Tue May 12, 2015 4:44 pm

If you do ridiculously well 1L you may end up applying to clerkships before June, but your school will reach out to you if that's true. Some people apply in before August. It really just depends on your grades and the judge, but I do know people who got clerkships before July.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue May 12, 2015 5:06 pm

xael wrote:If you do ridiculously well 1L you may end up applying to clerkships before June, but your school will reach out to you if that's true. Some people apply in before August. It really just depends on your grades and the judge, but I do know people who got clerkships before July.

Well I guess I've outed my grades haha. People apply to clerkships during 1L now?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
xael wrote:If you do ridiculously well 1L you may end up applying to clerkships before June, but your school will reach out to you if that's true. Some people apply in before August. It really just depends on your grades and the judge, but I do know people who got clerkships before July.

Well I guess I've outed my grades haha. People apply to clerkships during 1L now?

The superstars at my school were applying to clerkships in like August, so around OCI time

xael

Postby xael » Tue May 12, 2015 5:13 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

I know people who are but they may just be gathering recommendations. I do know someone who got one before getting all of their grades back, though.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue May 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

i lurked in the application threads in the clerkships forum and it seems like people are applying in august of their 1L summer, which is why i was a little confused :/ thanks for the replies, guys

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”