Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
docdoc
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby docdoc » Wed May 06, 2015 2:56 pm

And if so, would you do it again? Are your outcomes significantly better than they would have been at the lower ranked school (also: are we talking MVP, lower T-14, T20, T, TT, etc.)?

CoA at NYU would be sticker.

CoA at the T20 (one of UT/UCLA/Vandy) would be about $150K (PROBABLY less since I used the school's estimates and my knowledge of the city tells me I can do it for cheaper). Its in the region I want to practice in, although I'm not obsessed with that region (as in, I'm not going to shed a tear if I don't come back). I don't have scholarship offers from any other T-14s.

I'm also a pretty serious PI gunner, so NYU's LRAP program is sexy.

TheDogWhisperer
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:55 pm

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby TheDogWhisperer » Wed May 06, 2015 3:03 pm

no. you're the first with this dilemma. bjt seriously 150k at a top 20 is too much

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby Traynor Brah » Wed May 06, 2015 3:08 pm

150K is too much to be in debt for any of UCLA/UT/Vandy. I would vote for none of the above.

User avatar
TasmanianToucan
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 am

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby TasmanianToucan » Wed May 06, 2015 3:14 pm

If this was NYU at sticker vs. a lower T14 with $$$ we could have a real conversation, but that's not what we're talking about.

Plus you want PI.

Have fun in New York.

Arboreal
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby Arboreal » Wed May 06, 2015 3:37 pm

NYU at sticker with a PI focus is maybe just barely defensible, but you better be DAMN sure you want PI. If I were in your current shoes, I would not go to law school at all.

User avatar
BizBro
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:21 am

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby BizBro » Wed May 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Arboreal wrote:NYU at sticker with a PI focus is maybe just barely defensible, but you better be DAMN sure you want PI. If I were in your current shoes, I would not go to law school at all.


I wouldn't go.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Lots of people have done this, almost all regret the decision

User avatar
mylifeis24
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby mylifeis24 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:32 pm

docdoc wrote:And if so, would you do it again? Are your outcomes significantly better than they would have been at the lower ranked school (also: are we talking MVP, lower T-14, T20, T, TT, etc.)?

CoA at NYU would be sticker.

CoA at the T20 (one of UT/UCLA/Vandy) would be about $150K (PROBABLY less since I used the school's estimates and my knowledge of the city tells me I can do it for cheaper). Its in the region I want to practice in, although I'm not obsessed with that region (as in, I'm not going to shed a tear if I don't come back). I don't have scholarship offers from any other T-14s.

I'm also a pretty serious PI gunner, so NYU's LRAP program is sexy.


Retake; Reapply.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu May 07, 2015 10:17 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Lots of people have done this, almost all regret the decision

I don't know that I'd regret it if I had gone outside the T-14

docdoc
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby docdoc » Thu May 07, 2015 12:09 pm

OP here.

I ended up getting a moderate scholly offer from NYU this morning, so the T20 is out, and I'm probably taking NYU.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Thu May 07, 2015 1:37 pm

It's not the end of the world but you basically have to pay back a lower end Ferrari and then some, which sucks.

User avatar
PariSiamo
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby PariSiamo » Thu May 07, 2015 1:42 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:It's not the end of the world but you basically have to pay back a lower end Ferrari and then some, which sucks.


Actually it doesn't seem that bad when you put it like that

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Did anyone take CCN at sticker over lower ranked w/ scholly?

Postby Attax » Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm

PariSiamo wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:It's not the end of the world but you basically have to pay back a lower end Ferrari and then some, which sucks.


Actually it doesn't seem that bad when you put it like that


It does when you realize you could actually have the Ferrari instead.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joezze and 3 guests