Becoming a Federal Prosecutor NYSD

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pragmatic Gun

Becoming a Federal Prosecutor NYSD

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon May 04, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi guys,

I am gunning to work at the USAO for the Southern District, mainly because I want to live and stay in NYC; and also because the work they do is exciting. I will be targeting big law in NYC, so I want to know what firms do defense work against the USAO NYSD. How useful are the Vault rating for white collar defense? Is Skadden really good for it? TYIA

LetsGoMets

Re: Becoming a Federal Prosecutor NYSD

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon May 04, 2015 10:54 pm

Just dropping in to let you know it's SDNY, not NYSD. Good luck with your gunning

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 pm

All right fine, I'll say what everybody's thinking. This is not a realistic ambition. Having NYC whitecollar biglaw ties isn't going to cut it. Becoming an AUSA in any office is a longterm objective -- targeting the most popular office in the country is just a fool's errand that ignores how much it comes down to luck and knowing someone important.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Mon May 04, 2015 11:51 pm

Tanicius wrote:All right fine, I'll say what everybody's thinking. This is not a realistic ambition. Having NYC whitecollar biglaw ties isn't going to cut it. Becoming an AUSA in any office is a longterm objective -- targeting the most popular office in the country is just a fool's errand that ignores how much it comes down to luck and knowing someone important.

What are some more realistic options then? I really want to stay around NYC

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue May 05, 2015 4:57 pm

Based on what little I know, you usually become an AUSA via one of two routes. The first is BigLaw, the second is becoming an experienced prosecutor. So, either gun for NYC BL or one of the NYC DAs office, I guess. But even then, it's probably a long shot given how many people you'll be competing against.

1L, take with a giant grain of salt.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue May 05, 2015 5:04 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Based on what little I know, you usually become an AUSA via one of two routes. The first is BigLaw, the second is becoming an experienced prosecutor. So, either gun for NYC BL or one of the NYC DAs office, I guess. But even then, it's probably a long shot given how many people you'll be competing against.

1L, take with a giant grain of salt.

This is mostly correct. With top-notch grades you might get super lucky and nab a DOJ honors post. Getting a federal clerkship and then doing biglaw is probably your best bet.

Either way, targeting one office won't work. And don't be disappointed by almost any big northeast coast city office -- the work is all going to be effectively the same. SDNY targets terrorism which is why it's so politically popular, and that's also why it probably requires knowing someone really important.

sd5289

Postby sd5289 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:16 pm

Tanicius wrote:All right fine, I'll say what everybody's thinking. This is not a realistic ambition. Having NYC whitecollar biglaw ties isn't going to cut it. Becoming an AUSA in any office is a longterm objective -- targeting the most popular office in the country is just a fool's errand that ignores how much it comes down to luck and knowing someone important.

That's not really true. Just about everyone I know who is an AUSA at SDNY came from Biglaw. There were a few who came from the local prosecutors' offices. I think just about everyone clerked for a judge at some point. The clerking + Biglaw or clerking + prosecutor job was drilled into me by the AUSA's I knew with respect to eventually working for SDNY.

Also, OP, you should remain open to EDNY as an option. I actually find some of their divisions (like their human trafficking division) to be a lot bigger and more well developed than SDNY's.

As for DOJ Honors, even if you got that, I know that SDNY won't take you without at least 2 years of work experience, so that would be out.

ETA: as far as the targeting thing, that's true. By focusing on just one or two offices, you are very much limiting yourself. However, I certainly understand the concept of not being able to uproot yourself. Not sure that sounds like OP, but I get that.

relative

Postby relative » Tue May 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Hi guys,

I am gunning to work at the USAO for the Southern District, mainly because I want to live and stay in NYC; and also because the work they do is exciting. I will be targeting big law in NYC, so I want to know what firms do defense work against the USAO NYSD. How useful are the Vault rating for white collar defense? Is Skadden really good for it? TYIA

This post sounds like a naive 0l. You have no idea how you will do during 1L to start thinking of firms you want to work for. If you want USAO down the road, focus on grades and then think about clerking during 2l/3l. You don't need to start dreaming up your big law firm until you go through OCI.

Pragmatic Gun

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue May 05, 2015 8:06 pm

relative wrote:

This post sounds like a naive 0l. You have no idea how you will do during 1L to start thinking of firms you want to work for. If you want USAO down the road, focus on grades and then think about clerking during 2l/3l. You don't need to start dreaming up your big law firm until you go through OCI.

Well of course I will aim for high grades. I just want to know what the obstacles are. There is nothing naïve about gathering information before entering law school to see how feasible my goals are. EDNY sounds interesting too. Thanks for the suggestions and tips!

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Wed May 06, 2015 12:07 am

relative wrote:

Lol. The irony of telling a naive 1L to remain naive

UnicornHunter

Postby UnicornHunter » Wed May 06, 2015 12:29 am

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
relative wrote:Well of course I will aim for high grades. I just want to know what the obstacles are. There is nothing naïve about gathering information before entering law school to see how feasible my goals are. EDNY sounds interesting too. Thanks for the suggestions and tips!

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... -final.pdf

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”