Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
seizmaar

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby seizmaar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:23 pm

there will never be a better time in your life to get in shape/ do an ironman/ learn a hobby/ flay your penis off from chronic masturbation/ alienate all your friends

LSATobsessed

Postby LSATobsessed » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:27 pm

I did, I listened to lectures while I worked out. amazing multitasking

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:43 pm

enotini wrote:I actually really appreciate this thread because I powerlift competitively and don't want to give that hobby up. Also, my mind works a lot better when I'm in good physical condition. A lot of people become so stressed with the day-to-day work of school that they just let themselves go. So thanks for the thread, OP!

It gets even worse in actual practice. SO easy to just let health and fitness slide away from you given all the late nights and unpredictability.

Helioze

Postby Helioze » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Nerds!

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Unless you are juicing or have insane genetics this is probably way too much. I'm hesitant to even say with great genetics its okay. And yea you could spend two and a half hours each day but I imagine that wont give you time for much else.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri May 01, 2015 12:50 pm

I workout 7 days a week, no problems. Clock around 22 hours in the gym each day.

Smoking Gunner

Postby Smoking Gunner » Fri May 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:I workout 7 days a week, no problems. Clock around 22 hours in the gym each day.

Hilarious. :roll:

monsterman

Postby monsterman » Fri May 01, 2015 1:20 pm

OP--it's easily done. I workout 7 days/week no problem. I don't lift though, I assume that would take a lot more time. But there is a ton of time in the mornings and evenings, and maybe even over the lunch break if you can wait to have lunch until like 2--what I typically do. If it's a priority to you, then you can find the time.

Gotallanswers

Postby Gotallanswers » Mon May 25, 2015 5:02 pm

1L year I clocked 1.5-2 hours 4 days a week. Could of lifted more if I wanted. 2L year I clocked 2-2.5 hours a day 6 days a week. Tapered it back during exams to 2-4 days a week. I always go at night and do not study after.

haus

Postby haus » Mon May 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:People who say they have zero free time 1L are morons who are making things harder for themselves than they should be.

Law School by itself does not seem to be enough to crush one's free time.

Although I would argue that PT students working FT, with a family my find time to be more fleeting than they might care for.

The Mixed Tape
stop stop this is my favorite dryfit polo

Postby The Mixed Tape » Mon May 25, 2015 5:14 pm

law school is cake w plenty of free time, so yeah

but lol @ working out 7 days a wk. u can reach flawless aesthetics working out 4-5 days a wk

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 25, 2015 5:45 pm

Yes, you can workout 7 days a week while in law school. But, there are sacrifices if you do. I ran & lifted weights almost everyday while in law school but I sacrificed having a social life with my law school classmates.
Running can be especially beneficial for both stress relief & for enhancing one's concentration.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 25, 2015 5:49 pm

Pretty sure you could work out 8 days a week during law school and still not sacrifice anything (unless maybe it's finals time but that's debateable)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon May 25, 2015 5:52 pm

My biggest regret about law school is that I did not compete in NCAA athletics. A year or two ago, a TLS poster asked whether or not one who had remaining eligibility could participate in NCAA sports while in law school and still do well in class. My opinion is that the answer is yes. In fact, keeping a strict schedule helped in both endeavors.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon May 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Back when I was working, I'd work out 5 days a week. In law school, I did 2-3 days a week. It's definitely possible to do all 7, but you'd give up some socializing/study time. For me, I was too burned out to go to the gym after class. The thought of biking over there, working out for an hour or two, then biking back was too much.

But sure. There are definitely people that pull that off.

KamronK

Postby KamronK » Mon May 25, 2015 10:25 pm

It's good to hear that there's plenty of free time. I'm hoping to wake up before classes and do weekends (before football), 5 days a week for about an hour a day on a chest/leg/back split.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue May 26, 2015 9:30 am

I don't want to be misleading as to the amount of free time during law school. There is a good deal of free time, but what one choses to do with that time means sacrificing other activities. In my case, I sacrificed not only social time but law school activity time as well. I did make law review ( had to finish in the top 15% to be eligible to participate in the write-on ) but did not participate in any other law school activities at all beyond attending all of my classes (which included a practice clinic) & law review.
If one participates as an NCAA athlete, then the travel time is likely to have an adverse impact upon one's law school performance. Might be doable if travel is limited to a small geographic region such as New England, but not a realistic option for one attending, for example, a Pac-10 school.
Law students need to find a healthy way to relieve stress & a way to enhance comprehension. Exercising & a strict schedule worked for me.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Fri May 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Dude, getting time to work out is the easy part. Preparing and eating for those gains will probably be a lot harder.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 30, 2015 3:45 am

WeeBey wrote:Dude, getting time to work out is the easy part. Preparing and eating for those gains will probably be a lot harder.

This is probably credited. Shit, I couldn't even do that all the time when I was working 9-5 M-F.

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:50 am

I either work out (alternating cardio/lifting) or do power yoga 6-7 days per week. I just get my workouts in during the early morning hours so that my workout plans aren't disrupted or skipped if something comes up at work and I have to stay late.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:38 am

The biggest reason why law students are always strapped for time is because law students are amazingly inefficient with how they use their time.

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:12 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
WeeBey wrote:Dude, getting time to work out is the easy part. Preparing and eating for those gains will probably be a lot harder.

This is probably credited. Shit, I couldn't even do that all the time when I was working 9-5 M-F.

Definitely the tough part. I started packing food the night before to keep me from drifting off to bakeries and vending machines when I got hungry. I keep instant oatmeal, protein powder, and slivered almonds in my desk so that I can throw together a carb- and protein-rich snack when I get the hangries.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:28 am

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
TheoO wrote:The biggest reason why law students are always strapped for time is because law students are amazingly inefficient with how they use their time.

Are you referring to dicking around on a comp/phone when you could be studying, or inefficient studying? Or both? I have a tendency to be inefficient with my time sometimes and I'd like to know what to watch out for...

Both. Hang around the law school, talk to people around you, dick around on facebook, leave the school with some friends to get some food, come back and pretend read for a while. And then there is the habit of leaving things to the last minute and then panicking.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”