Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Smoking Gunner
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Smoking Gunner » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:29 am

I'm wondering if any law students manage to workout 7 days a week (finals excluded), and if so, how manageable is it to keep up that routine + keep up with the workload? I currently workout every day, and I'm trying to figure out if that schedule is going to need to be significantly adjusted next year.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 12908
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby ymmv » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:33 am

Plunder the Lox wrote:I'm wondering if any law students manage to workout 7 days a week (finals excluded), and if so, how manageable is it to keep up that routine + keep up with the workload? I currently workout every day, and I'm trying to figure out if that schedule is going to need to be significantly adjusted next year.


This is a weird flame, but yeah, sure you could. Assuming we're talking like an hour, hour and a half a day.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:38 am

Yes why not? You could workout 4hrs every day if you want.

User avatar
Smoking Gunner
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Smoking Gunner » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:39 am

ymmv wrote:
Plunder the Lox wrote:I'm wondering if any law students manage to workout 7 days a week (finals excluded), and if so, how manageable is it to keep up that routine + keep up with the workload? I currently workout every day, and I'm trying to figure out if that schedule is going to need to be significantly adjusted next year.


This is a weird flame, but yeah, sure you could. Assuming we're talking like an hour, hour and a half a day.


Not sure what about this comes across as a flame. And I was thinking more along the lines of 2-2.5hrs.

Traynor Brah
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Traynor Brah » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:41 am

this is one of the lamer threads i've seen

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Br3v » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:42 am

Yes easily.

User avatar
90convoy
Posts: 918
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby 90convoy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 am

Why do u need to workout that much. Damn

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:43 am

As with anything in life, if it's important to you, you make time for it.

User avatar
Smoking Gunner
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:22 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Smoking Gunner » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:45 am

Maybe I should clarify why I'm asking. I'm just under the impression that law school is a much bigger time commitment than undergrad, so I'm wondering to what extent that's really true. So I guess my question is really just, will I have 3 hours free every day? I just chose to phrase it in terms of gym time because that's how I usually spend my free time

BigZuck
Posts: 10851
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:47 am

You could even workout 4 hours a day during finals if you wanted to. Maybe not if you had a 24 hour take home or something but I think even that is debatable.

User avatar
bearsfan23
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby bearsfan23 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:51 am

Plunder the Lox wrote:Maybe I should clarify why I'm asking. I'm just under the impression that law school is a much bigger time commitment than undergrad, so I'm wondering to what extent that's really true. So I guess my question is really just, will I have 3 hours free every day? I just chose to phrase it in terms of gym time because that's how I usually spend my free time


If you're spending 3 hours a day in the gym you're doing it wrong.

However, you can you sure you'll have at least 3 hours free almost every day in law school

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 am

People who say they have zero free time 1L are morons who are making things harder for themselves than they should be.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:05 am

Holly Golightly wrote:People who say they have zero free time 1L are morons who are making things harder for themselves than they should be.


This.

User avatar
ronanOgara
Posts: 1554
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby ronanOgara » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:23 am

You'll definitely have the free time...people who complain about having no time are simply being dramatic.

The problem is, will you actually wanna spend your free time at the gym? I told myself I would, and then I got a netflix account...

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:24 am

Paging Thirteen

stephcurry
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby stephcurry » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:55 pm

If "workout" consists of weight-lifting and you go seven days a week then youre doing it wrong. If you go seven days a week for 2.5 hours each time you are also doing it wrong.

DportIA
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby DportIA » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

DYEL bro?

User avatar
NoBladesNoBows
Posts: 1118
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:29 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Mon May 11, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:35 pm

stephcurry wrote:If "workout" consists of weight-lifting and you go seven days a week then youre doing it wrong. If you go seven days a week for 2.5 hours each time you are also doing it wrong.


The former I generally agree with, but I can see how one could possibly make it work. The latter is a bit silly unless you are a powerlifter who needs an inordinate amount of rest between sets (along with a ton of warmup work).

It really depends on how you split your lifting. If you can somehow structure it so every muscle group is getting enough rest in between workouts, one could theoretically do 7 days a week without problems as far as muscle fatigue or overwork. The problem I faced when doing that was joint issues. Sure, the muscles would be rested, but the shoulder may have a real hard time with the constant work (especially if you do shoulders, chest, and arms on separate days). And many people develop tendonitis in the fingers and/or wrists from overwork (again, even if the muscles are fully recovered). I developed trigger finger in 3 fingers, and bad tendonitis in my wrist from the extremely hard gripping literally every single day.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:40 pm

But to actually answer OP's question, yes it is possible to get in a workout every day during law school. So long as you are prioritized and focused when you work, you will absolutely have some time to spare for recreational activities.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:42 pm

kaiser wrote:
stephcurry wrote:And many people develop tendonitis in the fingers and/or wrists from overwork (again, even if the muscles are fully recovered). I developed trigger finger in 3 fingers, and bad tendonitis in my wrist from the extremely hard gripping literally every single day.


You tried no fap?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby kaiser » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:44 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
kaiser wrote:
stephcurry wrote:And many people develop tendonitis in the fingers and/or wrists from overwork (again, even if the muscles are fully recovered). I developed trigger finger in 3 fingers, and bad tendonitis in my wrist from the extremely hard gripping literally every single day.


You tried no fap?


Lets not be unreasonable, now

User avatar
enotini
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:09 am

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby enotini » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:09 pm

I actually really appreciate this thread because I powerlift competitively and don't want to give that hobby up. Also, my mind works a lot better when I'm in good physical condition. A lot of people become so stressed with the day-to-day work of school that they just let themselves go. So thanks for the thread, OP!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby minnbills » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:14 pm

There is a guy at my school who not only works out every day but also works at the gym everyday.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Can you workout 7 days a week in law school?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:21 pm

minnbills wrote:There is a guy at my school who not only works out every day but also works at the gym everyday.

Wow! Amazing!!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 4 guests