Legal Assistant Interview - Do you plan on going to LS?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
boosane

Legal Assistant Interview - Do you plan on going to LS?

Postby boosane » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:06 am

I'm looking into legal assistant positions before I decide whether I should pursue a JD. I like the legal field and am also keen on becoming a paralegal. If asked whether I plan on going to law school, what is the most rational answer to get the offer? I feel that saying yes would hinder your chances because it reveals you're not committed.

Thank you!

Skool

Re: Legal Assistant Interview - Do you plan on going to LS?

Postby Skool » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:20 am

boosane wrote:I'm looking into legal assistant positions before I decide whether I should pursue a JD. I like the legal field and am also keen on becoming a paralegal. If asked whether I plan on going to law school, what is the most rational answer to get the offer? I feel that saying yes would hinder your chances because it reveals you're not committed.

Thank you!

Have been in this situation before and have lots of friends who have been in this situation before.

It's ok to say you're thinking of going to law school, and that's a part of why you want the experience of working in this particular job. Interest in law school does show commitment to the job.

However you just want to be clear about you're willingness to stay for 1-2 years (two years to be safe). If you haven't taken the lsat yet tell them that, which will put them at ease.. So many para positions are turning into 1-2 year gigs as a way of controlling overhead; many offices will be happy to hear you have an exit strategy.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”