NYU - Picking a Journal Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BizBro

Silver

NYU - Picking a Journal

Post by BizBro » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:59 pm

What secondary journal requires the least amount of work at NYU? Honestly don't even want to do one of those, but seems everyone is doing the write-on competition.

I've heard it's not worth it if you're not on law review, but I don't have a clinic or externship either. FWIW I've got terrible grades (below median) so thinking I should gun and try for law review at the very least.

Platinum

Re: NYU - Picking a Journal

Post by 03152016 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:19 pm

can anyone speak to which journals are more/less competitive?

would it make sense to bid a less competitive journal higher in order to secure a journal? or should you rank them by preference?

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 am

Law & Liberty and Law & Business are probably the least work. Being on a journal can, theoretically, help you get hired. Which is too bad because being on a journal is a ridiculous waste of time.

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:35 am

thsmthcrmnl wrote:Law & Liberty and Law & Business are probably the least work. Being on a journal can, theoretically, help you get hired. Which is too bad because being on a journal is a ridiculous waste of time.
Can I rank law review #1 and L&B #2 and L&L #3 and still expect to get one of those two secondary ones?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:39 am

isn't law and liberty a conservative journal

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:31 pm

Where's all my nyu 2L and 3L homeys at

legalmindedfellow

New

Post by legalmindedfellow » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:57 pm

BizBro wrote:Where's all my nyu 2L and 3L homeys at
Grad here, did a secondary. I don't know if upperclassmen are ignoring this read for the same reason, but...

There are all sorts of journal orientations, info sessions, and meet-and-greets available. If you're trying to pick a secondary and don't have a strong substantive interest in anything (i.e., you don't care about international law, aren't a government person, aren't conservative, aren't strongly into IP, aren't into business, aren't into environmental law, don't feel super left-wing, etc...) then these should at least allow you to pick a group of people you like to be around. Journal's a really easy way to get to know people on campus, even if you do only the minimum work, and it will be easier to do the minimum work if you either (a) care about it somewhat or (b) have co-workers you like.

If you're trying to pick solely the bare minimum amount of work, I'm not really sure why. If you're gunner enough to care about the impact of journal on your class time, then you probably should be gunner enough to care about making the board, in which case the workload is extremely unimportant relative to interests/liking the people on the journal. And if you are going to go for a journal even if you don't care at all about doing anything on a journal, including interests, people, and possible credential-building, why exactly? Just to have something for 2L OCI? You can find something else to make up for that resume, sign up for moot court or say that you're pursuing some other interest.

Looking strictly for minimal workload seems like an extraordinarily dumb way to think about this process. And the people who sign up just for 2L OCI tend to drive boards crazy and cause additional work for everyone around them.

Anyways, hope that you find somewhere that fits with what you're looking for.

BizBro

Silver

Post by BizBro » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:11 pm

legalmindedfellow wrote:
BizBro wrote:Where's all my nyu 2L and 3L homeys at
Grad here, did a secondary. I don't know if upperclassmen are ignoring this read for the same reason, but...

There are all sorts of journal orientations, info sessions, and meet-and-greets available. If you're trying to pick a secondary and don't have a strong substantive interest in anything (i.e., you don't care about international law, aren't a government person, aren't conservative, aren't strongly into IP, aren't into business, aren't into environmental law, don't feel super left-wing, etc...) then these should at least allow you to pick a group of people you like to be around. Journal's a really easy way to get to know people on campus, even if you do only the minimum work, and it will be easier to do the minimum work if you either (a) care about it somewhat or (b) have co-workers you like.

If you're trying to pick solely the bare minimum amount of work, I'm not really sure why. If you're gunner enough to care about the impact of journal on your class time, then you probably should be gunner enough to care about making the board, in which case the workload is extremely unimportant relative to interests/liking the people on the journal. And if you are going to go for a journal even if you don't care at all about doing anything on a journal, including interests, people, and possible credential-building, why exactly? Just to have something for 2L OCI? You can find something else to make up for that resume, sign up for moot court or say that you're pursuing some other interest.

Looking strictly for minimal workload seems like an extraordinarily dumb way to think about this process. And the people who sign up just for 2L OCI tend to drive boards crazy and cause additional work for everyone around them.

Anyways, hope that you find somewhere that fits with what you're looking for.
Going to ignore the problematic parts of this post. Yes, I am looking for the minimum amount of work. I appreciate some of your points though, so thanks.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be gunning for law and business as I've heard good things. Anyone know the success rate for people ranking it as #2? If I rank it #1, can i do a half ass job for the writing completion?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”