T14 Transgender Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jjking

New

T14 Transgender

Post by jjking » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:19 pm

Last edited by jjking on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sd5289

Gold

Re: T14 Transgender

Post by sd5289 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:59 pm

Hate to say it, but it depends on which T14 you're talking about (a/k/a region of the country you will be in), and whether you intend/want to be "out" during law school / starting your career.

ETA: I only mean this in the "people are still fucked up over trans issues for who knows what reason" kind of way rather than a judgmental kind of way.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:10 pm

I can't speak to the biglaw hiring question, but the scholarship question seems pretty obvious. Just because you're applying for certain diversity scholarships doesn't mean you walk around your school with a giant TRANS sign on your forehead. Nobody has any idea what you're applying for unless you tell them.

And I don't know what the deal with that particular Lambda club was, but the OUTLaw group at my school definitely includes people who are not running around loudly announcing their attraction the same sex and/or presenting as flamboyantly gay. (For one thing, their events tend to include "allies" of LGBTs so there are probably some straights in the room anyway.) A group that would look at you funny for not appearing to be gay enough seems shitty (or unlikely).

jjking

New

Post by jjking » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks! Good point re diverity fellowships. If it matter any, I chose a liberal t14 and am targeting NY. Was not expecting much of a response but its seriously driving me a little crazy that of everyone I know in this position everyone goes PI.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Also a lot of the diversity apps have you specifically write a sort of mini PS about yourself and diversity, so that's an easy way for you to show that you qualify if you're concerned about that.

despina

Bronze

Post by despina » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:And I don't know what the deal with that particular Lambda club was, but the OUTLaw group at my school definitely includes people who are not running around loudly announcing their attraction the same sex and/or presenting as flamboyantly gay. (For one thing, their events tend to include "allies" of LGBTs so there are probably some straights in the room anyway.) A group that would look at you funny for not appearing to be gay enough seems shitty (or unlikely).
That's the same at HLS -- nobody's going to be like "EXPLAIN AND LABEL YOURSELF PLEASE" and there are always folks who are straight allies, queer folks who don't fit any particular queer stereotypes, trans folks who "pass" if they want to, etc. I would really hope that if you were getting this vibe, it was more of a "I wonder if this cute person is attracted to people of my gender" thing than a "this person doesn't belong" thing.

I agree that the few trans law students I know ended up in / are aiming for public interest.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”