Final Test Policy Regarding Materials Allowed

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
itascot1992

Final Test Policy Regarding Materials Allowed

Postby itascot1992 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:45 am

0L here.... Just looked at a schools testing grid. For the same class, for example contracts, there are 3 different professors. Each professors has different policy for allowed materials. Some are open book/all material, closed book, some materials, and the other is closed book/no materials. For grading, would it be safe to assume that the curve would be per professor's class or for all students taking contracts?

drs36

Re: Final Test Policy Regarding Materials Allowed

Postby drs36 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:56 am

Per professor's class.

itascot1992

Postby itascot1992 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:06 am

drs36 wrote:Per professor's class.

That is relieving bc I was gonna say that is total bullshit if it was compared across classes

BVest

Postby BVest » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:56 am

The exams themselves will also be different, making grading against other sections impossible anyway.

Some schools will require that the curves then be lined up (e.g. each section gets 5 A, 10 A-, 15 B+, 20 B, 15 B-, and 15 C+ or lower)*, but you're still only being graded against your section-mates. (This is fair, though can delay grade release if your prof is done but the other section's prof is dragging their feet.)

Other schools don't require the sections to line up, as long as the prof meets certain benchmarks (e.g. mean grade between 3.0 and 3.1, no more than certain percentage of As and Bs, and a minimum percentage of Cs or lower).

* And yeah, I realize my example is actually a tent, not really much of a curve, but I didn't want to put too much thought into it.

itascot1992

Postby itascot1992 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:41 pm

BVest wrote:The exams themselves will also be different, making grading against other sections impossible anyway.

Some schools will require that the curves then be lined up (e.g. each section gets 5 A, 10 A-, 15 B+, 20 B, 15 B-, and 15 C+ or lower)*, but you're still only being graded against your section-mates. (This is fair, though can delay grade release if your prof is done but the other section's prof is dragging their feet.)

Other schools don't require the sections to line up, as long as the prof meets certain benchmarks (e.g. mean grade between 3.0 and 3.1, no more than certain percentage of As and Bs, and a minimum percentage of Cs or lower).

* And yeah, I realize my example is actually a tent, not really much of a curve, but I didn't want to put too much thought into it.

Thank you very helpful

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”